• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How To Find and Catch Queen Ants

find catch ant queen queen mating flight trap founding chamber blacklight black light pool crystals guide tutorial

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 24 2018 - 7:39 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Has flushing out an established nest of ants with a combination of lemon, distilled vinegar and water poured into the entrance been effective in obtaining queens, eggs and larvae?

No offense, but that seems like a terrible idea. I don't think that has been effective. Although, sometimes people are able to flood out fire ants from their nests.

• FloridaAnts likes this

#22 Offline antsinmypants - Posted April 24 2018 - 8:32 AM

antsinmypants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

I ask b/c I saw a YouTube vid last week, and it eventually brought out a queen. Seems better than tearing up Mother Earth and working up a sweat while attracting undue attention from the public. Also the materials used are biodegradable and, I hope, not toxic but only obnoxious to the ants. I suppose it would be akin to ice fishing, sitting back and waiting for your surprise catch to come up to the surface.

• DaveJay likes this

#23 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 24 2018 - 10:01 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

I ask b/c I saw a YouTube vid last week, and it eventually brought out a queen. Seems better than tearing up Mother Earth and working up a sweat while attracting undue attention from the public. Also the materials used are biodegradable and, I hope, not toxic but only obnoxious to the ants. I suppose it would be akin to ice fishing, sitting back and waiting for your surprise catch to come up to the surface.

That would only work with certain ants. Many ants in North America don't relocate the colony when it rains, or there is flooding. Perhaps the air pockets within the nest keep it drier. It will only work with ants such as Solenopsis Invicta, which are native to the Amazon region, where flooding brings the water lever tens of feet high for a large period of time. It might work for founding queens/colonies, but more than likely they'll stay put.

#24 Offline CoolColJ - Posted April 29 2018 - 5:29 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

maybe blowing air into the nests could work - ants hate airflow in the nest

Edited by CoolColJ, April 29 2018 - 5:29 AM.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#25 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted April 29 2018 - 11:40 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Has flushing out an established nest of ants with a combination of lemon, distilled vinegar and water poured into the entrance been effective in obtaining queens, eggs and larvae?

Sadly, no. I tried this multiple times when I was new to the hobby, and it never worked. Don't waste your time.

• DaveJay and ant007 like this

#26 Offline dermy - Posted April 29 2018 - 1:13 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

For us in the North I find putting a nice flat rock overtop a Colony of ants and waiting for mid-day to flip said rock over can yield a queen or two from some species, such as Myrmica.

[note: this only works in Early Spring]

• BobJ and Pumpkin_Loves_Ants like this

#27 Offline lucifer007 - Posted July 9 2018 - 3:05 PM

lucifer007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn NYC

Will try to download a black light on my phone next time i go looking for some queen ants thank you!

#28 Offline DaveJay - Posted July 19 2018 - 2:26 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Has flushing out an established nest of ants with a combination of lemon, distilled vinegar and water poured into the entrance been effective in obtaining queens, eggs and larvae?

I saw a video a while back, it might be the same one but I thought only lemon juice and water was used. It's worth pointing out that it was done to a nest in concrete and he chipped away to make sure that the liquid went into the nest properly. Sure enough though, the ants packed up and left. First workers found a new spot, then came workers carrying brood followed eventually by the Queen and her euntriage.
It did seem like a very passive way to collect a colony (or part thereof ).

Edit, I should also make it clear that it was just one average cup (200ml) of liquid, not enough to flood them out you'd think otherwise you could just use a hose.
Last year I had ants in a tomato pot and no way could I get them to move just using water, believe me I tried.

Edited by DaveJay, July 19 2018 - 2:31 AM.

#29 Offline CoolColJ - Posted July 19 2018 - 4:15 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
blasting air into the nest can get ants to move, well it sure triggers them :)

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#30 Offline Guy_Fieri - Posted December 12 2018 - 7:44 PM

Guy_Fieri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationOrange County
Great info, I’ll make sure to keep this in mind when looking for queens.

Edited by Guy_Fieri, December 21 2018 - 7:25 AM.

#31 Offline Thebrute99 - Posted February 13 2019 - 5:12 PM

Thebrute99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia city California

Has flushing out an established nest of ants with a combination of lemon, distilled vinegar and water poured into the entrance been effective in obtaining queens, eggs and larvae?

I have seen a lot about this I have never got it to work

Edited by Thebrute99, February 13 2019 - 5:13 PM.

#32 Offline Broncos - Posted October 16 2019 - 8:04 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

In drew's photo of his black light setup, what is the white thing he put on top of the light.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#33 Offline Nematocyst - Posted June 13 2020 - 1:41 PM

Nematocyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
What a great resource!!! Tha k you so much for the helpful information. My daughter is a new ant enthusiast and we tried a few time this season to look for queens at Mt. Baldy, CA with no luck. I'm so glad I found your article as I think she is getting a little discouraged (she's 9 years old). I think the black light at night method is fantastic and would like to give it a try. What is an acceptable level of humidity and a good time to try in the foothills of Mt. Baldy with a black light?
We tha k you in advance for your help.

#34 Offline Nematocyst - Posted June 16 2020 - 12:30 PM

Nematocyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

In drew's photo of his black light setup, what is the white thing he put on top of the light.

Looks like some sort of white sheet. Like a bedsheets.

#35 Offline Bigjohn - Posted October 10 2020 - 7:02 PM

Bigjohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Does anybody know where I could buy Pheidole californica ants?

#36 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted October 10 2020 - 7:46 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Does anybody know where I could buy Pheidole californica ants?

Ask in the general market place not here

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#37 Offline westhollywoodant - Posted June 17 2022 - 6:52 PM

westhollywoodant

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I am a country boy raised, that's fairly easy finding. BUT, moved to Los Angeles, CA about 7 years ago and was wondering if anyone has any experience finding queens in LA??

#38 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted June 17 2022 - 7:04 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida
If I am not mistaken, plenty of people have found queens in LA. Good luck!

#39 Offline westhollywoodant - Posted June 22 2022 - 10:21 AM

westhollywoodant

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Appreciate it Florida but that’s not the most useful information 😂😂
  • FloridaAnts likes this

#40 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted June 22 2022 - 11:36 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Appreciate it Florida but that’s not the most useful information

I have never been to LA, but try around established colonies and local parks.(Do those exist there?) Sometimes, you can go look near stores as there is typically queens near gas stations who don’t throughly spray insecticide

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: find, catch, ant queen, queen, mating flight, trap, founding chamber, blacklight, black light, pool, crystals, guide, tutorial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users