• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Vendayns Veromessor andrei journal (10-03-15)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 3 2015 - 11:20 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

First. Never made it to Washington, my family couldn't afford the trip. But my dad did get a job for Blizzard Entertainment in Irvine. And we moved back to same apartment unit, which is lucky. It was/is our favorite unit in the complex.

Now on to ants.

Been staying with my friend in east San Diego (Ramona) (southern California) and caught a Messor andrei queen. Very lucky as I've been wanting a queen/colony of this species for years. I found her yesterday (the 2nd).

For her best survival chance, I boosted her with brood and 30 or so workers from the nearby colonies. Not much aggression. and after putting them in the freezer twice, fridge twice, all aggression is gone.

I know it might be more rewarding to start with just the queen, but heck with that. I want a good successful colony. :P I've never got lucky and found a Messor queen before. So I want the best chances of a colony as possible.

Will take pictures after I get home next week.

Edited by Vendayn, October 5 2015 - 9:42 AM.

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 3 2015 - 11:24 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
Also as for initial aggression. It was just dragging her around. No stinging or biting. But, now they haven't done that anymore either after freezer/fridge trick.

#3 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 3 2015 - 1:48 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
I ended up taking out all the workers. A lot of aggression suddenly. Even amongst each other from same colony. However, I boosted her with a ton of pupae and one worker. Has worked out far more. Both are digging a nest together.

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted October 3 2015 - 5:20 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Good to hear about your family. I'm not a gamer, but that's gotta be cool if you are.

How/where did you catch her?? I'm surprised you found her this late in the year. That's one species high on my want list. Interesting experiment getting the aggression out. I still want to try what Crystals once mentioned how bees are introduced, by keeping the two strangers separated with a screen for a few days so they can get accustomed to each others' scents.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#5 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 3 2015 - 5:47 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
There are a bunch of new queen mounds here. I saw the queen on the trail. Probably foraging for food, since they are semi-claustral. Some of the Messor andrei colonies even still have male alates. This is in Ramona, east county San Diego.

Drywood termites are STILL flying too,never seen them fly this long and late into the year. Weather is very different than usual.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 3 2015 - 7:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You're saying there's Veromessor (that's what they are actually called now) andrei founding chambers all over there right now?

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 3 2015 - 7:31 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Can you give me the exact location where?

#8 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 3 2015 - 8:01 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
My phone isn't working right.

But, look up Ramona highschool. They are in a open space with a trail behind there. Also Solenopsis xyloni, Forelius pruinosus/mccooki and Dorymyrmex bicolor. Lots of Argentine ants near the houses, (small colony),but guess dry enough for native ants to survive.

It's to left of San Vicente rd. Right in that area above the highschool on the map. Smallish area, but lots of Messor.

Edited by Vendayn, October 3 2015 - 8:09 PM.

#9 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 3 2015 - 8:11 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Forelius queens?!

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 3 2015 - 8:18 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
Not sure, I saw males however when I tried getting some. No queens though.

#11 Offline Alza - Posted October 3 2015 - 9:11 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Wait, so how big is the cremetagastor that you found today ?

#12 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 3 2015 - 9:49 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
She is not Crematogaster. She is Veromessor andrei. No Crematogaster in the local area.

Also, if it rains on Sunday I dunno if the mounds will be visible. Might be best to come tomorrow. Substrate gets kinda muddy.

#13 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 3 2015 - 9:53 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

She is not Crematogaster. She is Veromessor andrei. No Crematogaster in the local area.

Also, if it rains on Sunday I dunno if the mounds will be visible. Might be best to come tomorrow. Substrate gets kinda muddy.

Sorry Vendayn, but some of us are kinda skeptical. Your pictures of the Crematogaster queen last time were pretty good, you should take some of this one again. :)

#14 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 3 2015 - 9:59 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
No problem. This time it's definitely Veromessor andrei. 100%. I know exactly what they look like, and lots of colonies here. I will take pictures tomorrow. Too dark now.

#15 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 3 2015 - 10:23 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
Here are a few pictures. Not best lighting.

Link work? My phone is being lame.

http://s4.photobucke...e Uploads/story

#16 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 4 2015 - 1:28 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Looks too small to be Veromessor at all. I would consider one of the following:

Tetramorium spinosum

Solenopsis xyloni

Solenopsis invicta

Pheidole (fallax) sp.

Pheidole (pillifera) sp.

• LC3 likes this

#17 Offline gcsnelling - Posted October 4 2015 - 4:16 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Absolutely no way to tell from those pictures. Try again.

#18 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 4 2015 - 7:55 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You need to focus the camera. :lol:

#19 Offline Alza - Posted October 4 2015 - 9:37 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Oh, right, I meant veromessor, sorry lad. 

#20 Offline Alza - Posted October 4 2015 - 9:41 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

How big is it in mm? And I think the shape could be veromessor...beyond the shape, I can't see anything though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users