• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

California Pest Ratings - Invertebrates A, B, and C

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 30 2015 - 5:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I was recently informed of some laws some of our California members might not have been aware of.

This was taken from an email sent directly from the California Department of Food and Agriculture.

A-rated pests are prohibited from entering the state, and prohibited from being sold in the state of California due to their potential detrimental impact on agriculture. The only exception is for organisms accompanied by an approved CDFA or USDA live organism permit for contained exhibit or research purposes.

B-rated pests are eligible to enter the sate if the receiving county has agreed to accept them.

C-rated pests are under no state enforced action. Regulations are designed to retard the spread or to suppress at the discretion of the individual county agricultural commissioner.

Now her text was not totally complete, because as far as I remember from all of this, the A-rated section included "transported", which would mean "moved from their original location." thus making it virtually impossible to collect, keep, or give them away without breaking the law.

I have attached the .pdf file listing all of these species.

The only prohibited ant species happen to be four A-rated species--

Solenopsis geminata, Solenopsis invicta, Solenopsis richteri, and Solenopsis saevissima.

What I find funny are the C-rated "pests". It looks like nearly half the fauna in California. I guess every time anyone complains about an insect it must make the list. :lol: Maybe we should just eradicate all wildlife in CA.

Attached Files

Edited by dspdrew, September 30 2015 - 5:43 PM.

• Myrmicinae, dermy, ctantkeeper and 1 other like this

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 30 2015 - 5:27 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Maybe we should just irradiate all wildlife in CA.

Radiation just makes them stronger!  Think about what happened to make Spider Man!

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline kellakk - Posted September 30 2015 - 5:38 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

It looks like Atta mexicana is C-rated, so if any were to make it into California, we could keep them.  :P Also, there's a lot of native species of ant on the list, strangely.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 30 2015 - 5:44 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Maybe we should just irradiate all wildlife in CA.

Radiation just makes them stronger!  Think about what happened to make Spider Man!

:lol:  Damn spell-check.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 30 2015 - 5:45 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It looks like Atta mexicana is C-rated, so if any were to make it into California, we could keep them.  :P Also, there's a lot of native species of ant on the list, strangely.

Just because they're native doesn't mean they don't pester people.

#6 Offline Foogoo - Posted September 30 2015 - 7:45 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I wonder if Atta make it to the city of Bard...

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 30 2015 - 8:14 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yes. Including Pogonomyrmex californicus, and then no other Pogonomyrmex besides that single species. Literally just Pogonomyrmex californicus. A species with a relatively mild sting compared to other Pogonomyrmex, it is a bad climber, does not grow as fast or release alates in the numbers of other Pogonomyrmex, and is also relatively passive compared... to... other Pogonomyrmex. :sarcastic: I think the list was made by politicians and not scientists.

• Martialis likes this

#8 Offline awesomezhnathan - Posted September 30 2015 - 8:23 PM

awesomezhnathan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

What if odontomachus haemotodus stopped by Cali

• Gregory2455 likes this

#9 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 30 2015 - 9:21 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

What if odontomachus haemotodus stopped by Cali

I wish...

#10 Offline BugFinder - Posted October 1 2015 - 7:13 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

What I find funny are the C-rated "pests". It looks like nearly half the fauna in California. I guess every time anyone complains about an insect it must make the list. :lol: Maybe we should just eradicate all wildlife in CA.

They are under no state enforced action, which means legal.  What's wrong with that?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 1 2015 - 7:38 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They are under no state enforced action, which means legal.  What's wrong with that?

Nothing, but they are still on a list as basically undesirable. Many people think nature is terrible and should be completely exterminated. Look at the way some people will stomp on anything that moves, having nothing to do with it being dangerous or destructive.

#12 Offline BugFinder - Posted October 1 2015 - 8:03 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Nothing, but they are still on a list as basically undesirable. Many people think nature is terrible and should be completely exterminated. Look at the way some people will stomp on anything that moves, having nothing to do with it being dangerous or destructive.

That's definitely not the way I interpreted that.  As far as I know, there is nothing on that list, or the website that talks about killing or exterminating anything.  It only deals with what can and cannot be moved because it may be invasive in non-native environments.  What's wrong with that?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 1 2015 - 8:21 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Do you just argue for fun? It was a joke.

I didn't interpret anything, I simply stated the fact that they are on a pest list and went on to talk about people in general.

#14 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 1 2015 - 9:02 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Its still pretty dumb. Ants that have been everywhere in California at least since the last ice age are on that list as well, Bugfinder. There is no reason to even have them classified as C-rated pests because they are already everywhere, and in most of their cases they have a nearly non existant negative impact on agriculture. Pogonomyrmex californicus and Liometopum occidentale have the same rating as Linepithema humile and Solenopsis molesta. I will restate what I said before now- Pogonomyrmex californicus does not harvest more seeds, does not grow as fast, is not as prolific, does not have as painful of a sting, and does not make as big colonies as some other Pogonomyrmex species. Nor is it the most North, Eat, or South spreading Pogonomyrmex species. Why is it on the lost at all while no other Pogonomyrmex are?

#15 Offline Foogoo - Posted October 1 2015 - 9:38 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I think the list was made by politicians and not scientists.

That's pretty typical of most technical regulations, unfortunately. I'm seeing it first-hand right now...
  • Myrmicinae likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#16 Offline William. T - Posted October 1 2015 - 11:49 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Where are the Argentines?

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#17 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 1 2015 - 12:44 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Linepithema humile.

#18 Offline john.harrold - Posted October 1 2015 - 12:57 PM

john.harrold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCastro Valley, Ca

You know one way to interpret the C rating is to remove ambiguity. If it's not on any of the lists, then it leaves the question of weather a specific species has been considered. If it has a C rating then you know how it's considered from a government perspective. I think when dealing with the government I'd rather have things clearly defined than to leave them to the arbitrary musings of a government official. 

Granted 

Regulations are designed to retard the spread or to suppress at the discretion of the individual county agricultural commissioner.

Is still a little ambiguous, but less so :)

Edited by john.harrold, October 1 2015 - 1:02 PM.

• Huch likes this

#19 Offline Huch - Posted October 1 2015 - 2:00 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
At least they got back to you. I inquired with NY, but they never got back to me.

#20 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 1 2015 - 2:14 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
They did not get back to him. They came to him for selling S.invicta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users