• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dermy's Myrmica Colony 2015 Sept. 3rd/2015

dermy myrmica

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dermy - Posted September 6 2015 - 1:23 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Day#1- September 3rd/2015- Was looking at weeding the flower pots to get them ready for our brutal winter, saves time in the spring. And I noticed a few workers. So of course I do what anyone with a half a brain would do, I Dumped it out and started grabbing as many workers as I could. I actually didn't find a queen until I dumped it out to look, and I found 1 at least. I've never found a Myrmica Colony with only One Queen before.... super weird! I'm not going to bother trying to find any more in my container right now. But I do want to go back and dig in the pot again and see what I can find.

I made them a special setup, not very good for viewing, but from my past experince they love setups like these! I took [I will get pictures up eventually] 2 Gum Container Lids, duct taped them together, and stuffed in some dirt and the colony inside. I haven't bothered with a Foraging area right now. But I think with a colony that will be growing by 2x once I go back out and get the rest of the workers, they will need it. I also found some brood with them, which is good. I always like a colony that comes with brood.

One question, is there any reason that at this time of the year the workers are all Callow looking and haven't developed their darker red colour?

Other then that not much to say. I'll provide pictures and stuff soon.

#2 Offline William. T - Posted September 6 2015 - 3:02 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

There seem to be variations in the genus. I see Tetramoirum SpE colonies with light brown workers, while some of their sisters are black.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#3 Offline Nes187 - Posted September 6 2015 - 3:10 PM

Nes187

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
My wife found a small colony in a little chunk off wood and it only had 1 queen too, she turned the piece of wood into sawdust looking so she's pretty sure she never missed any, I found one not far away with 7 queens, so I'm not sure what a normal ammount would be,

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted September 6 2015 - 6:15 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I think it might be heat related for the callow workers, they are heat loving ants after all. Form all the workers I have they usually take a very long time to fully darken I often find callow workers under warm rocks during the morning and winters but not so much during the summer and afternoon (by then it's either too dry or just normal workers). 

Just another question. Can pupae over winter? If not do Myrmica pupae over winter? 

#5 Offline dermy - Posted September 7 2015 - 12:45 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Just got a reply from someone and thought I'd post it on here for anyone wondering at least a theory on the Callow thing:

It's because around this time they over feed their brood so it develops quicker so they don't have to over winter the brood, so lots of their brood quickly becomes workers and therefore a bulk amount of callows emerge, that's what I've found anyway

#6 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 7 2015 - 8:04 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I think it might be heat related for the callow workers, they are heat loving ants after all. Form all the workers I have they usually take a very long time to fully darken I often find callow workers under warm rocks during the morning and winters but not so much during the summer and afternoon (by then it's either too dry or just normal workers). 

Just another question. Can pupae over winter? If not do Myrmica pupae over winter? 

I am pretty sure that almost all pupae that overwinter will die. However I could be wrong when it comes to Myrmica.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#7 Offline dermy - Posted October 26 2015 - 11:44 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Here are a few videos of my Colony as of Tonight [fun moving ants out of nasty nests!]

Vid 1-

https://www.youtube....h?v=x9Z677SUSTc

Vid 2- The Colony of Workers

https://www.youtube....h?v=89DaOCzgbKE

Vid 3- The Queen

https://www.youtube....h?v=QydEwXu85CI

They are doing well, I've even noticed some Eggs!

#8 Offline dermy - Posted October 27 2015 - 7:17 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Got good news I stayed up all night long [still haven't slept] and got their setup back to normal and they are now happily back in exploring their nest :D

#9 Offline dermy - Posted October 30 2015 - 7:37 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Some of these ants found a way out of the Nest, now they are sitting on the outside doing absolutely nothing :lol:

I just hope 100+ ants don't start walking everywhere :o

#10 Offline dermy - Posted November 4 2015 - 4:28 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Made a super fast time-lapse of the Colony today:

https://www.youtube....h?v=DGjPh4sNg_A

I plan to do one of them feeding eventually :D They need more protein in their diets I think. I even saw the Queen today [not in the video though]

#11 Offline dermy - Posted November 8 2015 - 2:11 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Here are a few Time-Lapses I've made of this Colony, which I think are ready for Hibernation!

https://www.youtube....h?v=Tfc8jyN_f-E

One of the Foraging area:

https://www.youtube....h?v=QswQtLRapBQ

I'm thinking about bulking them up on sugary sweets and maybe one more pupae, then off to Hibernation.

#12 Offline dermy - Posted November 14 2015 - 9:06 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'm going to be throwing them into hibernation here in a week. Just loading them up with sugar water and water. I finally detached the old outworld as well. I'll try to get at least a few pictures of it all soon.

#13 Offline dermy - Posted November 19 2015 - 4:10 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

These ants are going to be placed into hibernation very soon, I've been watching them and they are just not that interested in food [minus the sweet stuff and water] so I'm going to feed them up and place them in my basement for Hibernation. I've done this with my Other Myrmica Colony last year and they did fine.

#14 Offline dermy - Posted February 25 2016 - 3:53 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I woke the colony up and about 2 days later here is the result they have taken out dead workers, and have begun foraging again :)

Here is a short video on the colony

https://www.youtube....h?v=fEX2cufwA9g

I like the barrier system, as sometimes they can climb up it when it's just the walls, but with the lid the way it is they can't climb upside down [I've never had it happen, might change with a much larger colony] The "Barrier' is just simple Canola oil, it works well. Vaseline and stuff doesn't have any effect on them and it's all sticky all the time [I hate that]

• Barristan likes this

#15 Offline dermy - Posted March 10 2016 - 12:40 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Just made a really cheesy "Time-lapse" of what went on in their foraging area during their first major feeding

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

The queen has been spotted a lot and I've noticed some eggs too :)

• Barristan likes this

#16 Offline dermy - Posted March 23 2016 - 10:27 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Just a quick update on these [I'll get some footage and stuff of them later] the Colony is doing well [yay for once an Ant Colony is doing good!] and I've noticed a lot more workers then what I thought I had [they haven't made any new ones yet I don't think] and they have been foraging and eating lots. I've noticed a small amount of brood in the nest [hard to get a view inside, but it's not a big deal to me at the moment]

The queen is well, and so far, nothing major has happened, no-one knows where they are and that is good :P

#17 Offline dermy - Posted April 5 2016 - 1:27 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I can't believe how fast this queen is producing eggs, some are already larvae, if the nest wasn't so messy I'd try to get a video of them, they seem to pile them up neatly depending on sizes, and eggs have their own pile. They have been eating a lot of mealworm and grasshopper [I found it when I was outside, tossed in the freezer and just threw it in there for them]

I'm hopeful that this colony will bounce right back to their previous numbers in population.

#18 Offline dermy - Posted April 18 2016 - 11:50 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I took a little video of the Foraging area, lots of workers doing stuff [which is nice to see] it's a mess but it's a good representation of myself so yeah :lol:

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

#19 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 19 2016 - 6:32 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

So is that what the floor in your room looks like?

• LC3 likes this

#20 Offline dermy - Posted April 19 2016 - 10:28 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Not dead mealworms, but garbage and stuff yeah sometimes. I clean it every now and then.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dermy, myrmica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users