• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nanitics show slings how it’s done (just an invert keeping humor video)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted November 30 2023 - 10:38 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Sorry, just a non-serious video contrasting Formica nanitics hunting fruit flies vs. jumping spider slings hunting fruit flies….

Baby jumping spiders vs. ants: fruit fly competition

I’ve raised slings before, but never together and I already can’t find one of them so I’m a nervous wreck! With ants you’re usually okay with queen + at least one worker + fungus (if needed), but slings are so different and, unlike ant workers, may try to eat each other….

Sometimes I just really appreciate the incredible social bonds among ants.

And sometimes I think it would be cool to have ants with superb vision whose eyes track you and possibly even memorize your face (see latest jumping spider research).

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, November 30 2023 - 10:53 PM.

• bmb1bee and BleepingBleepers like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#2 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted December 3 2023 - 7:59 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

My carpenter ants are hilarious when it comes to dealing with live prey. Hilariously bad that is.

I also keep a lot of other animals too, like the jumping spiders you have there.

And ants with superb vision is why I want to get Bull dog ants or at least H. Venator / Saltator ants, they're def on my wish list to have one day.

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#3 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted December 3 2023 - 9:57 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

My carpenter ants are hilarious when it comes to dealing with live prey. Hilariously bad that is.

I also keep a lot of other animals too, like the jumping spiders you have there.

And ants with superb vision is why I want to get Bull dog ants or at least H. Venator / Saltator ants, they're def on my wish list to have one day.

What about Gigantiops destructor? This video at starting at 2:34 really made an impression on me. (Plus, hey, they jump, too! Wait, I guess so do bull dog ants. That puts little jumpers on notice.)

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, December 3 2023 - 10:00 PM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users