• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New ant simulation game coming soon

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AntsTexas - Posted August 16 2015 - 4:06 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

Here's an idea: There are three catergories of ants you can choose from: Solenopis Invicta, the Red Imported Fire Ant: Which is known for it's dangerous workers armed with chemical and physical weapons, L. Humile, the Argentine Ant, used for it's fast rate of producing workers and queens to have satelite nests and high work effiecency, and some new  Pheidole sp. from Chernobyl or Cambodia, used for it's ability to produce super major that can act as tanks, workers with sawlike mandibles to harvest food faster, as well as other specialized castes. Really, RIFA and Argentines dominate in this world, but having a third party, especially one that draws heavily from Pheidole's ability to produce it's different castes, would be interested. While ponerines have cool looking jaws or whatever, they don't conquer nearly as much territory as the invasives. I think you should stick to invasives only, since they are the most powerful.

solenopsis invicta - warriors/fighters

Pogonomyrmex's - famers

ect . . . .

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#22 Offline William. T - Posted August 16 2015 - 4:54 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

There should be a co-op operation for an ant game done by members of this forum, so an ant game would finally be done in a timely matter. Everyone seems to be so busy with work, or getting that Pogonomyrmex queen of yours to get a worker, that having another set of fingers typing after a long day at the office is a nice thing. There's enough people interesting in starting a game, and everyone has a sprite or two to add. If programmers did 5 minutes work of things every day, this would be done easily. If one person did 5 minutes of work every day, and if there are 6 other people here interested in making one, then when the programmers band together, there will be 35 minutes worth of work done othe game every day, not 5. Then the forum would spread the word about the game, play the game, support, add suggestions, ect. Having a huge base to support a game would be better than not. Just a thought.

• Roachant and Tyrone like this

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#23 Offline LC3 - Posted August 16 2015 - 6:00 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

How about Yellow Crazy ants they're quickly replacing RIFAs and etc. Who knows maybe in the near future they'll take over.

• Tyrone likes this

#24 Offline William. T - Posted August 16 2015 - 6:24 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

It could be a foe that the plaer would face when expanding into the south.

How about Yellow Crazy ants they're quickly replacing RIFAs and etc. Who knows maybe in the near future they'll take over.

• LC3 and Tyrone like this

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#25 Offline Roachant - Posted August 17 2015 - 5:50 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada

There should be a co-op operation for an ant game done by members of this forum, so an ant game would finally be done in a timely matter. Everyone seems to be so busy with work, or getting that Pogonomyrmex queen of yours to get a worker, that having another set of fingers typing after a long day at the office is a nice thing. There's enough people interesting in starting a game, and everyone has a sprite or two to add. If programmers did 5 minutes work of things every day, this would be done easily. If one person did 5 minutes of work every day, and if there are 6 other people here interested in making one, then when the programmers band together, there will be 35 minutes worth of work done othe game every day, not 5. Then the forum would spread the word about the game, play the game, support, add suggestions, ect. Having a huge base to support a game would be better than not. Just a thought.

That would be helpful. If anyone has any ideas or would like to help you can message me.

#26 Offline PTAntFan - Posted August 18 2015 - 5:51 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I'm not a programmer but I would love to be a producer on the game especially if you take it down the RTS path.  I played ungodly hours of Starcraft back in the day and well love ants, so the idea of merging those two is extremely appealing to me. 

There are so many ways to get a game made these days from the way you're doing it, to the communal path mentioned above, but also by putting some initial good ideas together, investing in some preliminary awesome artwork that conveys the imagination in the project and taking it to the crowd-sourcing community.  I think that's the best route because it potentially leads to an initial investment of funds that could justify working on it full time.

Think on all these ideas and keep me in the loop when you decide what you want to do.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#27 Offline William. T - Posted August 19 2015 - 4:22 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

I'm not a programmer but I would love to be a producer on the game especially if you take it down the RTS path.  I played ungodly hours of Starcraft back in the day and well love ants, so the idea of merging those two is extremely appealing to me. 

There are so many ways to get a game made these days from the way you're doing it, to the communal path mentioned above, but also by putting some initial good ideas together, investing in some preliminary awesome artwork that conveys the imagination in the project and taking it to the crowd-sourcing community.  I think that's the best route because it potentially leads to an initial investment of funds that could justify working on it full time.

Think on all these ideas and keep me in the loop when you decide what you want to do.

It would be nice if we had people on this forum...... gamers and writers, for producing the storyline and ideas, and then post them on the forum for review. People that can draw make the sprites, and then post them for reviews and suggestions. And helpful and friendly myrmecologists give us insights on our designs so our ants don't end up like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park. We need to round up those on ant farm yuku interested, too. I don't have an account there so people that do can look for programmers and get them to join. I know Yellow Meadow Ant is interested. Look at this game. Not the best graphics, but it's simple to program. The black ants are fighting the reds. First, I suggest a thread for the storyline.ss-3.jpg

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#28 Offline Tpro4 - Posted August 19 2015 - 10:38 AM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
you do realize that that game was canceled because it did not receive the funding it needed...
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#29 Offline William. T - Posted August 19 2015 - 11:51 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

you do realize that that game was canceled because it did not receive the funding it needed...

Just a suggestion for what the game could look like. You seem to know more than I do about the subject.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#30 Offline Roachant - Posted August 19 2015 - 4:48 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Well I love the ideas that are coming forth. I agree that most of those games tried to get crowdfunded and failed. Some have done well some have not. I don't really care though, I decided to push on with the project and just shrug off the fact that there are similar games coming out.
Working on this game has so far been very fun for me and if it works out, hopefully more people out there will become more educated about ants and appreciate them better.
So, while I think about more ideas on how to get that done, I'll continue to work on coding the basics of how ants live and get resources and so forth so at least the core elements of the game will be there.
My next hurdle is to do a decent looking tunnel digging system. I have found several tutorials on how to do this and will hopefully have it running by the end of this week.
I would like to have more of the game done before I show it off though, as there are some things I don't like about it that I want to change like some of the graphics that are quite frankly placeholders at this point and to add some core components to the game to better give an idea of the direction I would like it to go.
  • LC3 likes this

#31 Offline Lazarus - Posted April 12 2018 - 3:10 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada
Any update on this game?

My online ant spreadsheet

#32 Offline Roachant - Posted April 13 2018 - 1:39 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Any update on this game?

This one or the one I was working on?
I say ‘was’ because I had planned to go back into it but I got an offer to do a program for my work so I took that on and put this game on hold. However, as soon as that program is done I plan to continue working on my ant sim game and even though there is another one coming out very soon, it isn’t what I had in mind for an ant sim game.
My idea was not to focus on the RTS aspect but focus more on how different ant species live and survive. It could be still be a fun game and teach people about ants without being too ‘video-gamy’ if that makes any sense.

I think the game mentioned in this original post was put on hold indefinitely.

Edited by Roachant, April 13 2018 - 1:40 AM.

#33 Offline Serafine - Posted April 13 2018 - 4:46 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Empires of the Undergrowth just launched it's closed freeplay mode test (public freeplay mode test coming soon). It's more of an RTS/Dungeon Keeper style game and less of an actual simulation but it looks great and it is fun to play. It doesn't have full AI colonies yet (scenarios are mostly scripted) but the necessary adjustments have been done with this update so that the full enemy colony AI can be added with one of the next updates.

http://www.eotugame.com/

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#34 Offline Roachant - Posted April 13 2018 - 5:29 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I tried the game it’s fun but it wasn’t the simant sequel I was looking for. Still, it’s a new ant colony game and for us that’s great!

#35 Offline Lazarus - Posted April 13 2018 - 9:05 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Any update on this game?

This one or the one I was working on?

I was inquiring about your game as it seems much more interesting.

My online ant spreadsheet

#36 Offline Roachant - Posted April 14 2018 - 8:30 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Oh, I haven’t given up yet, it’s just on hold .

#37 Offline CoolColJ - Posted April 16 2018 - 3:50 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

This game was more like Simant, but it didn't get enough funding

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users