• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Rufa complex or Sanguinae complex?

formica formica worker formica id id request formica sanguinae formica rufa

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline LC3 - Posted August 15 2015 - 12:06 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

1. Location of collection: Okanagan lake, BC,Canada
2. Date of collection: August,11,2015
3. Habitat of collection: Dry and sandy mountains.

4. Length (from head to gaster):Around 7mm or 8mm, worker lengths vary slightly.

5. Color, hue, pattern and texture:Originally bright orange body and black legs and gaster.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Long legs and head is nearly always wider than thorax.

7. Anything else distinctive: They're very aggressive but seem to prefer biting than acid nuking.
8. Nest description: unknown, no nest located.

Attached Images

• IMG_1167.JPG
  • IMG_1166.JPG
  • IMG_1168.JPG
  • IMG_1176.JPG
  • IMG_1177.JPG
  • IMG_1178.JPG
  • IMG_1179.JPG

#2 Offline Nes187 - Posted August 15 2015 - 12:35 PM

Nes187

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
I don't think I have sanguinae here in Alberta but those workers look like the Rufa group to me, I'm pretty sure that's not a Rufa queen in the first couple pics though

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted August 15 2015 - 1:15 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I don't think I have sanguinae here in Alberta but those workers look like the Rufa group to me, I'm pretty sure that's not a Rufa queen in the first couple pics though

It's not a queen all right It's a worker and a dead one. :P I'm leaning on the Sanguinae side but I still have 0 clue on what species this is.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica, formica worker, formica id, id request, formica sanguinae, formica rufa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users