• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

American Ant Keeping Hall of Fame

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Ants4fun - Posted August 16 2015 - 10:50 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Perhaps he was wrong to take this seriously, but perhaps this list is a bit biased.... no offense, but of all the worldwide myrmecologists, this list in ducts a forum moderator for moderating and helping out. Why not induct Merkur? Or perhaps Antdude? If this is to be taken seriously perhaps we need to take in acount other organizations, forums, etc. And how this might seem unfair.

#22 Offline William. T - Posted August 16 2015 - 10:53 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Well, well. Everyone decides to post now. Well, Kellak, I am making changes. I will add categories, and since Terry really doesn't want to be on, I will take him off, even though

I also feel uncomfortable with the addition of certain people into a list that includes some hugely influential myrmecologists.  Maybe it'd be best to sort these people into groups, i.e. Taxonomists vs. Hobbyists vs. Businessmen.  

I am not alone in my sentiment.

I agree these statements. And who decides who gets to go on the list? The author? Or is it a vote? While I respect Terry, and what he has done in a short period of time, its like putting Odell Backham JR into the hall of fame immediately. What is the criteria here?

Seems we need to read a little more. Since no one gave me any suggestions except for Telejotie, I have to decide for myself.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#23 Offline Ants4fun - Posted August 16 2015 - 10:55 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Perhaps you could post a vote on each person, then if the majority agree, then they can be inducted?

#24 Offline William. T - Posted August 16 2015 - 10:57 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

No one posts on this thread. If a lot of people will post, I will make polls.

Perhaps you could post a vote on each person, then if the majority agree, then they can be inducted?

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#25 Offline William. T - Posted August 16 2015 - 11:03 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Perhaps he was wrong to take this seriously, but perhaps this list is a bit biased.... no offense, but of all the worldwide myrmecologists, this list in ducts a forum moderator for moderating and helping out. Why not induct Merkur? Or perhaps Antdude? If this is to be taken seriously perhaps we need to take in acount other organizations, forums, etc. And how this might seem unfair.

Again, if you took time to read, might find that this is in the works, and this topic implies to those on the same continent I am typing on.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#26 Offline kellakk - Posted August 16 2015 - 11:07 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Since you asked for suggestions, why not start by adding Roy Snelling, William Wheeler, and Mark Moffett?  There's more than a few other American myrmecologists that have been instrumental to North American myrmecology, I just can't remember them at the moment.

• William. T likes this

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#27 Offline William. T - Posted August 16 2015 - 11:09 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Since you asked for suggestions, why not start by adding Roy Snelling, William Wheeler, and Mark Moffett?  There's more than a few other American myrmecologists that have been instrumental to North American myrmecology, I just can't remember them at the moment.

These are the type of posts I need. I will start writings bios for them.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#28 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 16 2015 - 11:17 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Dr. Tschinkel.

I wouldn't know half of what I know about fire ants if not for his research and literary aggregation of The Fire Ants.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 16 2015 - 11:20 AM.

• ctantkeeper and William. T like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#29 Offline William. T - Posted August 16 2015 - 11:42 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Added Roy Snelling.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#30 Offline Ants4fun - Posted August 16 2015 - 1:02 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I would add Mikey bustos as far as business men. Half of the ant keeping community where introduced to serious ant keeping through his videos. His original formicariums where one of the first professional ant formicariums for sale.

Edited by Ants4fun, August 16 2015 - 1:03 PM.

• William. T likes this

#31 Offline William. T - Posted August 16 2015 - 1:29 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

I would add Mikey bustos as far as business men. Half of the ant keeping community where introduced to serious ant keeping through his videos. His original formicariums where one of the first professional ant formicariums for sale.

That's more like it! Posts like these are needed. Let's leave this Buschinger Business behind.

Edited by William. T, August 16 2015 - 1:32 PM.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#32 Offline William. T - Posted August 16 2015 - 5:13 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

I added Mikey. Please suggest who else to add.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#33 Offline LC3 - Posted August 16 2015 - 6:14 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Dr. Robb Higgins of Thompson River University? That's the only myrmecologist I know of. He's an expert of the European Fire ants Myrmica rubra and Myrmica speciodes and I think he's the main myrmicologist in BC.

Edited by LC3, August 16 2015 - 6:15 PM.

#34 Offline Teleutotje - Posted August 17 2015 - 12:54 AM

Teleutotje

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationGent, Belgium

It's funny. Some people ... No, I'm not going to say what I wanted . Reason: Some would like me to do so they can attack me just like the like to do whenever they can. I belong to a group, also including American members, that are attacked when we say our meaning about a few things where science supports us.

Merkur, one of the best myrmecologists for the last +/- 50 years, specialized in social parasitic ants, is also one of the myrmecologists that did do much research about how to keep ants. But that seems not important here... insulting him is allowed... Shame!

It is also funny that at once the list is restricted to Americans, so goodbye Hölldobler (worked most of his career in the USA), Forel,... And then you have to think that most of the technics to keep ants were invented and improved by Europeans like Huber, de Réaumur, Lubbock, Janet, Forel, Buschinger,...

• Jonathan21700 likes this

#35 Offline Barristan - Posted August 17 2015 - 1:08 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

is also one of the myrmecologists that did do much research about how to keep ants. But that seems not important here... insulting him is allowed... Shame!

Well he is insulting others all the time so this isn't a shame? Just read his quote about this topic if that wasn't insulting, I don't know what else... I also doubt that his research had any big impact on how we keep ants... 

A famous myrmecologist acting like this is a shame...

It's not the first time he acts like this. For years he collected mistakes (and everything else he found funny) of ant keepers and traders in a forum thread and made fun about it... Now he prefers doing so with this forum. Very unfair because most of the users here can't read German so can't defend themselves. That was also the reason why I posted his quote here and translated it...

Edited by Barristan, August 17 2015 - 1:23 AM.

• drtrmiller, William. T and Martialis like this

#36 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 17 2015 - 1:35 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Merkur, one of the best myrmecologists for the last +/- 50 years, specialized in social parasitic ants, is also one of the myrmecologists that did do much research about how to keep ants. But that seems not important here... insulting him is allowed... Shame!

Did I or anyone here say anything specifically that insulted Merkur?

Are you saying that his original research excuses him of being able to ridicule and insult our users (or anyone, for that matter) with impunity and without consequence?

Edited by drtrmiller, August 17 2015 - 1:38 AM.

• William. T and Barristan like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#37 Offline Teleutotje - Posted August 17 2015 - 1:44 AM

Teleutotje

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationGent, Belgium

Barristan:

Read all, yes ALL, his publications and you know if he said something that had impact or not....

He didn't attack individual persons but gave his impression in general about ant keepers. Some use their head and think what they do BUT most don't... But if you remember on some German forums YOU started direct attacks on him by name and via his alias, without any reason. Even moderators of those fora found you had gone too far and blocked your topics. You, or one of your colleges, even wanted to know more about what another scientist thought and when that scientist gave his answer you attacked him also.

If you post quotes from him, also in translation, why not post some things you putted online in Germany, with translation, and let others decide who needs to shame....

#38 Offline Barristan - Posted August 17 2015 - 1:48 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Because this is not related to this topic. But please answer drtrmiller's questions.

Why should I read all of his papers? I just read a single one (related to ant trading) and I still successfully keep ants and so do most people.

Edited by Barristan, August 17 2015 - 1:56 AM.

#39 Offline Teleutotje - Posted August 17 2015 - 1:55 AM

Teleutotje

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationGent, Belgium

drtrmiller:

Read Tyrone's post.

What he did as a scientist is important on it's own and what he says about ant keepers in general is supported by many scientists, these things are not connected but science supports the things he says about ant keepers in general... like it or not, but so it is. If this is insulting that depends on you BUT yes, most ant keepers find it insulting because they want to do whatever they want WITHOUT tinking about possible consequences...

#40 Offline Teleutotje - Posted August 17 2015 - 2:01 AM

Teleutotje

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationGent, Belgium

Barristan:

You only read one paper from him and you think you don't need to know more about all the rest??? Ant keeping techniques had a lot from his research!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users