• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Going to make some nest boxes with old computer anti-glare screens

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline VonHeer - Posted August 5 2015 - 2:16 PM

VonHeer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I recently acquired a bunch of these things: 2 left ones, 3 middle ones, and 1 of the ones seen in the second picture. I wonder if these things will make for good grout nest boxes. They already come with a frame! 

AdaNN75.jpg

K6a5XJB.jpg

yW0Pqc4.jpg

Edited by VonHeer, August 5 2015 - 5:54 PM.

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted August 5 2015 - 2:20 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Anti-glare nests, eh? Be sure you snap some photos under bright light. :P

#3 Offline BrittonLS - Posted August 5 2015 - 3:23 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas
Should be fine so long as it isn't coated in something poison or decompose in humidity or heat. If you're worried, you can always put a handful of wild ants in to see if they all suddenly die.
  • LC3 likes this

#4 Offline john.harrold - Posted August 5 2015 - 4:03 PM

john.harrold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCastro Valley, Ca

Should be fine so long as it isn't coated in something poison or decompose in humidity or heat. If you're worried, you can always put a handful of wild ants in to see if they all suddenly die.

This will work for something acute, but I don't think it will work if there are chemicals that slowly leach out of the plastic.

• LC3 likes this

#5 Offline VonHeer - Posted August 5 2015 - 5:49 PM

VonHeer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Good points. I'll keep them in mind. I'll probably make them next summer. I think the anti-glare coat was applied only on the outside. It is also worth noting that all of these are glass. There's no plastic except for the frames. 

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 6 2015 - 5:32 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They might be privacy nests that you can only see when looking at them straight on. :)

#7 Offline LC3 - Posted August 6 2015 - 10:11 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Next thing we need is see-through substrate :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users