• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Reptile Food Experimentation

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 4 2015 - 8:46 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I think it was Retroman who recommended the All Living Things Bearded Dragon food. It's basically an assortment of freeze dried insects which unfortunately my colonies didn't seem too interested in. Maybe it's too dry? Some of the Pogonomyrmex would drag pieces of it into the nest then back out the next day.

I decided to take a look at what else the reptile aisle had to offer and noticed a lot of the foods consist of the basic ant diet: proteins, sugar, insects, etc. so like a financially responsible adult, I decided to buy a random assortment of foods to try on the ants. I started off looking for ones with the highest protein concentration.

#1 First was the Zoomed Juvenile Crested Gecko Food:

ZM-191_Crested_Gecko_Food.png

Insects, fruit, vitamins, what's not to love? Comes in a dry powder form which makes feeding very easy (or messy if you had too much coffee). Tried it first on the Pheidole who usually eat anything, followed by the equally jittery Formica then the others. Initially, no one seemed extremely interested in it, they appeared to sniff around it and possibly eat it, but didn't go crazy for it. I thought maybe it's too dry so added a bit of water. With the water, some of the Pheidole and Formica began drinking the solution.

The next day, the Pheidole had completely cleaned the dish of it. Camponotus stacked it in a makeshift trash pile, and disappeared from some of the Pogonomyrmex but not others. So it appears to have mixed results. All in all, not amazing, not terrible. With the convenient powder form, it might be a good addition to any homemade foods.

#2 One of the first foods I tried in the hobby, but thought it belongs here anyway are Freeze Dried Bloodworms:

p-72594-fish.jpg

The smell is very pungent, so pungent that two rambunctious pugs managed to open the can and dump half it out and probably would've eaten it had I not caught them. The ants seem to notice the smell too, as almost all species will drag it into their nest. However, it tends to end up back outside the nest in a couple of days, seemingly untouched. My guess is it's too dry/hard for them to chop it up. I did try crushing it up once but didn't record the results well. It might be time for another trial.

#3 Nature Zone Iguana Bites:

61zo9-MhCzL._SY355_.jpg

Fine, if you ants think the others are too dry blah blah blah, what about this? Protein, fruits, and in gel form. Look at how dang happy that iguana on the label is. I gave each colony a cube last night and I might as well have gave them a cube of dirt. Actually, they probably would have been more excited with dirt. Pretty much ignored by everyone. The smell is a very strong citrus, which might be putting them off. The Formica did hug the cube for a bit, but I couldn't tell if it was eating it or just stretching its hamstrings. Will update tonight if there's any progress. If no update, assume this was a bust.

#4 Zoomed Leopard Gecko Food

pPETNA-1251010_main_t300x300.jpg

Ding ding ding! I think we have a winner, winner, cricket dinner. It's partially obvious why as this food is primarily dried flies (look a little large for fruit flies, though). It's not "just" flies though, there is a slight bit of moisture and it's very fragrant. The Pheidole instantly swarmed it and dragged it into their nest, a la frozen cricket style. Even the Formica dragged a few away. Hadn't yet seen if the Pogonomyrmex have eaten it but I can't imagine they wouldn't. I'm also not sure if the Camponotus have touched it, but they're my pickiest eaters.

Edited by Foogoo, August 5 2015 - 6:37 AM.

• Lamarr likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 4 2015 - 9:26 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The only ants I give dried food to are harvester ants. I don't think any other ants prefer dried food, so your results sound about right to me.

#3 Offline kellakk - Posted August 4 2015 - 10:06 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I've noticed that of all my ants, only the myrmicines will eat solid, dry food.  Everything else prefers liquids.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 4 2015 - 2:13 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Interesting, but then I wonder, is gel considered liquid or solid? When I feed Blue to formicinae, are they only sucking the liquid? Or are they able to take bites of the gooey parts?

Aside: Is there a simple way to remember which or myrmicines or formicines? It looks like myrmicines don't have cocoons and have two petiole nodes, but that can be hard to tell with small ants.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#5 Offline LC3 - Posted August 4 2015 - 4:31 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Your talking about smaller ants right? Like Tapinoma,L.humile,Brachymyrmex,Tetramorium,S.molesta and Monomorium? If it's a medium sized and large ant it should be quite easy. Anyways I think the easiest way to tell is their movement most formacines I encounter move pretty fast like they're in a hurry, Myrmicine not so much. Most Formacines seem to have large ovalish gasters that look like it's connected directly to the thorax while myrmicine have smaller round buts that seem to be connected by a joint or something. 

#6 Offline BrittonLS - Posted August 4 2015 - 5:40 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

Yeah, aside from seeds I can't think of anything that ants really eat that's ever dry, I don't think they'd find it appealing.

Also, I see it mentioned so rarely so I can never be sure about it. Is it true that ants are not able to eat solid food? They can drink liquid, but solid food they have to take back to the nest and feed it to larvae who then provide liquid food for the workers. Which is why it's so important for colonies to have brood, some more than others.

#7 Offline LC3 - Posted August 4 2015 - 6:01 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Ever heard of the Dracula Ant? 

#8 Offline BrittonLS - Posted August 4 2015 - 7:08 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

I was just looking it up as a follow up to my own question XP

https://myrmecos.wor...at-myrmecosnet/

http://blog.wildabou...-the-spotlight/

#9 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 4 2015 - 8:57 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Your talking about smaller ants right? Like Tapinoma,L.humile,Brachymyrmex,Tetramorium,S.molesta and Monomorium? If it's a medium sized and large ant it should be quite easy. Anyways I think the easiest way to tell is their movement most formacines I encounter move pretty fast like they're in a hurry, Myrmicine not so much. Most Formacines seem to have large ovalish gasters that look like it's connected directly to the thorax while myrmicine have smaller round buts that seem to be connected by a joint or something. 

Yes, but I also never really tried looking that hard. I'm going to have to start noticing these details more!

• LC3 likes this

#10 Offline Lamarr - Posted August 5 2015 - 5:03 AM

Lamarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Alabama

Very interesting topic. If we could find large quantities of reptile food that ants enjoy it would be so much easier to feed them.

#11 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 5 2015 - 6:32 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Very interesting topic. If we could find large quantities of reptile food that ants enjoy it would be so much easier to feed them.

That's what I'm hoping for, and that they can benefit from the added vitamins and nutrients.

#12 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 5 2015 - 6:39 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

That's all I have for now, any suggestions on other foods to try? I'm considering fish foods since the flake type foods are probably really easy to for ants to eat. But they're mostly shrimp or other seafood, something most ants (except maybe some lucky urban dwellers) don't eat in the wild. 

Anyone have an iguana that can use a can of delicious, tasty, bites? :/

Edited by Foogoo, August 5 2015 - 6:40 AM.

#13 Offline Lamarr - Posted August 5 2015 - 10:42 PM

Lamarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

This is not a reptile food but has anyone tried feeding dog wet food?

https://www.google.c...iw=1920&bih=995

#14 Offline Lamarr - Posted August 5 2015 - 10:45 PM

Lamarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

pPETNA-1251010_main_t300x300.jpg

Ding ding ding! I think we have a winner, winner, cricket dinner. It's partially obvious why as this food is primarily dried flies (look a little large for fruit flies, though). It's not "just" flies though, there is a slight bit of moisture and it's very fragrant. The Pheidole instantly swarmed it and dragged it into their nest, a la frozen cricket style. Even the Formica dragged a few away. Hadn't yet seen if the Pogonomyrmex have eaten it but I can't imagine they wouldn't. I'm also not sure if the Camponotus have touched it, but they're my pickiest eaters.

I might try this one. Have they eaten it? If not perhaps they just gathered it and left it to rot? Let us know how it goes.

#15 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 5 2015 - 10:58 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

This is not a reptile food but has anyone tried feeding dog wet food?

https://www.google.c...iw=1920&bih=995

I...uhm...think we all know what dog food looks like.

Cat food is recommended over dog food, as dog food generally contains more grains and vegetables.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 5 2015 - 10:58 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#16 Offline Lamarr - Posted August 5 2015 - 11:06 PM

Lamarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Cat food is recommended over dog food, as dog food generally contains more grains and vegetables.

Dry or wet cat food? Had you tried feeding it to the ants? How was it like?

Edited by Lamarr, August 5 2015 - 11:06 PM.

#17 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted August 6 2015 - 3:40 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

I have tried dried food. It's only interesting for the ants, if you feed it to the mealworms ;)

From the wet dog food, they leave a rest, the catfood they feed completely.

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#18 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 6 2015 - 6:36 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I might try this one. Have they eaten it? If not perhaps they just gathered it and left it to rot? Let us know how it goes.

It's hard to tell, but looks promising. Some of them dragged it into their nest and strewn it about, while others are still chewing on it. It'll probably help if you crush these up. But so far, it appears that reception is similar to crickets (~70% eagerly eating).

#19 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 6 2015 - 7:15 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The cat food bowl usually seems to be the first place the ants go anytime I see them enter my parent's or my sister's house, so that should tell you something.

#20 Offline Crystals - Posted August 6 2015 - 9:40 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I once dropped some dry cat food and dry dog food on the sidewalk.  15 min later it was covered with Lasius.  Tried putting it in my captive colonies - no interest at all.  :D

I did try the wet dog food patte once, no real interest from Formica, Myrmica, Camponotus, Tapinoma, or Lasius.

Never tried wet cat food. 

I bet the gravied stuff will have a different reaction than the patte stuff.

Also depends on the ingredients.  So many pet foods have grains (corn, etc) as the first 3-6 ingredients...

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users