• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New Ant Forum

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 25 2015 - 9:08 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

No wonder Mikey Bustos won't hang out here, he's starting his own ant forum to compete with this one.  Probably so he can control the content.   

• Gregory2455 and AntsTexas like this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 25 2015 - 9:15 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hmm...

Edited by Gregory2455, July 25 2015 - 11:40 PM.

#3 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 25 2015 - 11:37 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Someone pointed out to me in a PM that rule #1 over there is "Thou shall not criticize ants canada or Mikey Bustos."

He wants to control content.  I figured as much.

• AntsTexas likes this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#4 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 26 2015 - 7:18 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Lol give him a break. With every ant forum that he joined, people have been bashing him... I wouldn't blame him for wanting to just talk about ants.
  • ohhhhh likes this

#5 Offline Mads - Posted July 26 2015 - 7:20 AM

Mads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationInnisfail, Alberta, Canada
If you don't like it, just don't join, it really is that simple.
  • Ants4fun, dermy, LC3 and 1 other like this

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 26 2015 - 7:21 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Lol give him a break. With every ant forum that he joined, people have been bashing him... I wouldn't blame him for wanting to just talk about ants.

People having legitimate complains should not be considered bashing. Should it be done in a more private manner, yes. But is it bashing? No.

#7 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 26 2015 - 7:23 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I'd consider making a thread to ridicule his choice of making a forum bashing him.
  • ohhhhh likes this

#8 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 26 2015 - 9:04 AM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

butt hurt troll much? jeez. build a bridge and get over it. you think he went and made a forum just to "compete" with this one? that doesn't even make sense. 

and then you say its so he can "control the content". yep . that's the job of the admin/moderator over there. of course the content will be controlled in some way, its controlled here as well. any good forum does this. it keeps folks that like to make personal issues public, from doing just that. also keeps children from crying all over the boards. act like an adult.... don't go over there reading if you don't like the forum. If you have such a big problem, then get off your butt, and go find him and settle it like a man. (he openly displays all the places he travels to).

I'm sure everyone here would rather you do that, than listen to you cry about it.

you are just making yourself look foolish complaining about nothing.

and yes, making an entire thread just to ridicule someone, is bashing.

Edited by larynx, July 26 2015 - 9:09 AM.

#9 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 26 2015 - 9:13 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'd consider making a thread to ridicule his choice of making a forum bashing him.

butt hurt troll much? jeez. build a bridge and get over it. you think he went and made a forum just to "compete" with this one? that doesn't even make sense. 

and then you say its so he can "control the content". yep . that's the job of the admin/moderator over there. of course the content will be controlled in some way, its controlled here as well. any good forum does this. it keeps folks that like to make personal issues public, from doing just that. also keeps children from crying all over the boards. act like an adult.... don't go over there reading if you don't like the forum. If you have such a big problem, then get off your butt, and go find him and settle it like a man. (he openly displays all the places he travels to).

I'm sure everyone here would rather you do that, than listen to you cry about it.

Woah woah woah... When I said legitimate complaints I meant what happened a while ago, not this thread. :| I was not talking about this thread in my post.

#10 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 26 2015 - 9:24 AM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Woah woah woah... When I said legitimate complaints I meant what happened a while ago, not this thread. :| I was not talking about this thread in my post.

legitimate complaints are fine. and I'm sure they were warranted a while ago, when all that happened. I'm here to learn about ants , and chat with others that have the same interests. not read this guy crying, at the top of the topics. 

are you not here for the same? to learn, and chat about what you learn? or are you here to read facebook quality drama?

Edited by larynx, July 26 2015 - 9:25 AM.

• dermy and Jonathan21700 like this

#11 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 26 2015 - 9:27 AM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

he hates the guy, yet he trolls him all over the internet, just to keep up with what he creates and is apart of. who does that?

#12 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 26 2015 - 9:28 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

legitimate complaints are fine. and I'm sure they were warranted a while ago, when all that happened. I'm here to learn about ants , and chat with others that have the same interests. not read this guy crying, at the top of the topics. 

are you not here for the same? to learn, and chat about what you learn? or are you here to read facebook quality drama?

Yes I am here for that reason, with the addition of sharing my experiences. I find Bugfinder too to has a lot of quality content on this forum, this topic just should not be blowing up to what it is right now.

• Ants4fun likes this

#13 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 26 2015 - 9:35 AM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Yes I am here for that reason, with the addition of sharing my experiences. I find Bugfinder too to has a lot of quality content on this forum, this topic just should not be blowing up to what it is right now.

sharing an experience is fine. hearing others experiences is fine. that's how we learn about some things. but beating a dead horse after its in the ground is a bit much.

I'm sure bugfinder does have a lot of quality content. and I'm sure he is a great guy. but when he acts like this, it makes me not want to find out.

and no it shouldn't be blowing up like this, the thread should never have been started. its childish and uncalled for.

Edited by larynx, July 26 2015 - 9:36 AM.

#14 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 26 2015 - 9:46 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I would not call this thread totally uncalled for, some people are aware of some valid concerns, but I do not want to talk about that. Right now I find no serious problem with the Antscanada forum, I am a member there too, I cause no trouble, but I do not plan to use it a lot besides reading. I am a lot more familiar with the people of this great community, therefore I obviously prefer to defend it. I hope that is understandable.

• Ants4fun and AntsTexas like this

#15 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 26 2015 - 9:58 AM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

a thread making people aware of a concern is cool. but just complaining because you found out about the existence of a forum.... little childish. I've been here a short time and i like this community as well. i would defend it too. all of you guys have been nothing but helpful and nice.

in the end, past transgressions are just that, "past". 

putting the person who started the thread, and the people who have responded to the side. this thread is unnecessary and uninformative. 

Edited by larynx, July 26 2015 - 9:59 AM.

#16 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 26 2015 - 10:11 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

complaining because you found out about the existence of a forum

I will say there is more of a depth to this thread than just that, but like I said I do not want to talk about that. I suggest lets just let this thread die out.

• Ants4fun likes this

#17 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 26 2015 - 10:26 AM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

complaining because you found out about the existence of a forum

I will say there is more of a depth to this thread than just that, but like I said I do not want to talk about that. I suggest lets just let this thread die o

yes there is more depth. that doesnt change the childishness of this thread, which was created to complain about a new forum that was just discovered. you have to think beyond yourselves on this one. newcomers see nothing but bashing, they don't know the back story. things like this do nothing but hurt the learning experience of this hobby. for instance: right now we are writing in this stupid abomination of a thread, instead of learning and sharing about the ants and such we love. i for one am glad he is monitoring the content, it keeps crap like this from being posted. it may actually end up being better than here because of it.

childish drama belongs on facebook. period.

Edited by larynx, July 26 2015 - 10:33 AM.

#18 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 26 2015 - 1:19 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

when he acts like this, it makes me not want to find out.

and no it shouldn't be blowing up like this, the thread should never have been started. its childish and uncalled for.

Then don't find out.  Maybe you should follow your own advice and if you don't like a thread, don't participate in it instead of insisting others shouldn't be able to discuss what they want to.  

I will post what I think is interesting and relevant, if you don't like it, feel free to pass on by.  You are welcome to express your opinions about what content I contribute here.  I don't expect everyone to like it, or to like me.  I don't mind at all you criticizing what I post, or challenging me on claims that I make, but to suggest I shouldn't be able to post something because it's not what you want to read is kind of silly, isn't it?  You don't have to read it, but should you be telling others what they should be or should not be discussing, simply because you don't like it?

I do not "troll" Bustos all over the internet, and I do not hate him.  If you're going to make claims of fact about what I do or don't do, kindly provide support for your claim.

In my view, what vendors and other prominent figures within our hobby are up to is interesting and relevant, worthy of discussion, and when appropriate, worthy of praise or criticism.  The fact the ants can be pets forum is going away, the fact that Bustos is creating a new forum, all of that is very interesting and relevant to most of us as far as I'm concerned.

I also think it's interesting to discuss whether a forum run by a vendor meets our needs as well as a forum run by or as a organization of hobbyists or fanciers.  A good analogy would be how a forum run by the AKC would serve dog owners vs how a forum run by local dog fanciers.  The fact that you cannot criticize any of the Ants Canada products or business practices in that forum is a very interesting and relevant topic of discussion in my view.  

As a vendor who wants to sell us his products, he won't engage us here, he expects us to go to his forum, where he can control the content.  I think the fact that he can't or won't field our questions, respond to our criticisms, overcome our objections and sell us his product is troubling.  And now to add insult to injury, he expects us to join his forum where he controls the content.  No way.  Not for me. 

Edited by BugFinder, July 26 2015 - 3:34 PM.

• Gregory2455 and drtrmiller like this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#19 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 26 2015 - 1:25 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

putting the person who started the thread, and the people who have responded to the side. this thread is unnecessary and uninformative. 

For someone who calls this thread unnecessary and uninformative, putting this much effort into flaming and stifling what could be seen as a negative discussion of AntsCanada and its owner certainly makes it seem like you have something to gain from tanking the thread.

• Gregory2455 and BugFinder like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#20 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 26 2015 - 1:35 PM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

i have nothing to gain.. lol

Edited by larynx, July 26 2015 - 1:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users