• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tarheel ants Talus spring revision '15 moldy food inside nest

formicarium

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 22 2015 - 5:01 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I have my Camponotus in a Talus spring revision '15, they got a mealworm inside and left it to mold a little.

Will the ants move it themselves if it becomes a problem or should I try to remove it myself?

Does anyone have any expierence with these formicariums?

IMG_6656_1024x1024.JPG?v=1432595973

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 22 2015 - 6:51 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I can offer general advice, but none specific to this product.

I am testing the byFormica GroTube with Camponotus, and have observed similar behavior where the ants will store trash or uneaten food inside the nest.  This is highly unusual, since Camponotus nests in nature are usually very clean.

In the past, users with the Talus product and same issue have been reported to being left with no alternative but to break the product open to move ants or save them from adverse conditions.  Here are just a few threads that a quick search of the forum yielded:

For queens and small colonies, it is always advisable to make or purchase a formicarium where the nest chamber may be easily accessed, so as to be able to deal with these types of issues.

Edited by drtrmiller, July 22 2015 - 6:56 AM.

• Ants4fun likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 22 2015 - 6:57 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

If you can't reach it with tweezers or a bent twisty tie, try an aspirator or handheld vac with tubing. 

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#4 Offline JakobS - Posted July 22 2015 - 11:38 AM

JakobS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationState College PA

Not that I wish to post only about this, but if you can find springtails to culture or for a one shot use, they will consume the decomposing, mold growing leftovers. Just syringe a bunch into the nest opening and they will find their way to the decomposing food. The are great "janitors" to have around to avoid mold in nests like these.  

Springtails and other isopods are found in the thousands within a square foot in the wild, and are thus awesome consumers of decomposing material. This is probably a major reason why you don't see decaying material in wild nests often, it simply won't last too long. 

Also pinning the food to something (clay ball, cork) with an insect or sewing pin will decrease their ability to bring it into the nest in the future. 

Edited by JakobS, July 22 2015 - 12:04 PM.

#5 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 22 2015 - 11:40 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Springtails have been mentioned a few times in other threads. How do you identify them in the wild and where do you find them? Ants won't make dinner out of them?

• BugFinder likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#6 Offline JakobS - Posted July 22 2015 - 12:01 PM

JakobS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Some ants may eat them, but they are really small as well, so many will leave them alone. They also have chemical defenses and mechanical defenses which may make them less attractive to many ant species. They are commonly found in many wild ant nests though. I've only seen them under the microscope myself, but they are 1-2mm, have a cigar shaped abdomen, six legs, four antennomeres (antenna segments) and have a "spring" like appendage on their rear end that they use to avoid predation. It may be easier to order a culture from a reptile food supplier like joshsfrogs.com (no affiliation), to insure a disease free and healthy population.

Edited by JakobS, July 22 2015 - 2:30 PM.

#7 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 22 2015 - 1:08 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

it appears joshsfrogs doesn't have springtails, at least not at the moment.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#8 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 22 2015 - 1:56 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Ohh even better, once they get them in stock. Chances are if I try catching them in the wild, I'll come home with a bucket of snakes or something thinking they're springtails. :lol:

• BugFinder likes this

#9 Offline JakobS - Posted July 22 2015 - 2:35 PM

JakobS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I am able to put both the culture and the culture kit into the cart without mention of being out of stock, so I am assuming you're are notified during the checkout process?

There are a few different reptile websites that sell them though, just search for "springtails for sale " or similar.
  • BugFinder likes this

#10 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 22 2015 - 3:09 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

I got the moldy meal worms out with a bent twist tie props to Foogoo. I guess the most important thing I've learned so far is to have patience, not to panic and

think things through. I tend to worry to much.

Has anyone tried to kill mold with a 200mw laser?

• LC3 likes this

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#11 Offline LC3 - Posted July 22 2015 - 3:16 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Haha. I also tend to panic/ be extremely paranoid.

If you can't kill it springtails kill it with lasers  :lol:

#12 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 22 2015 - 3:39 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

I take it the laser will work .

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#13 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 22 2015 - 8:04 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Can you kill mold with a laser?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#14 Offline Chall - Posted July 22 2015 - 10:31 PM

Chall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, BayArea
I have a very weird method if you take a a narrow vaccine you can tip the next and if the meal worms starts to slip the vaccine will get it in no time

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 23 2015 - 7:27 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Ohh even better, once they get them in stock. Chances are if I try catching them in the wild, I'll come home with a bucket of snakes or something thinking they're springtails. :lol:

I have a massive springtail culture. I could give you a whole bunch if you want.

#16 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 23 2015 - 8:40 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I got the moldy meal worms out with a bent twist tie props to Foogoo. I guess the most important thing I've learned so far is to have patience, not to panic and

That's great to hear! I don't know if you're joking or not but I was thinking about the laser last night. It seems like something that would work in theory, but I don't see how it would be possible to do without also burning a hole in the Talus or whatever nest it's in. I was also thinking about using UV (UV-C lamps designed to kill pathogens) but that can't possibly be good for the nest tenants.

I have a massive springtail culture. I could give you a whole bunch if you want.

Sure! I'll remind you next time we meet. I just did some quick reading and they look relatively simple to culture.

Edit: Here are a few articles discussing the effects of UV and blue light on fungus and spores, I haven't had a chance to read through all of them yet:

http://aem.asm.org/c...2.full.pdf html

http://www.ncbi.nlm....s01633-0007.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm....012/pdf/689.pdf

http://forum.mflense...ing-t45286.html

http://digitalcommon...t=usdaarsfacpub

http://www.iab.kit.e...iguez_et_al.pdf

Edited by Foogoo, July 23 2015 - 9:07 AM.

#17 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 23 2015 - 12:13 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

That's great to hear! I don't know if you're joking or not but I was thinking about the laser last night. It seems like something that would work in theory, but I don't see how it would be possible to do without also burning a hole in the Talus or whatever nest it's in. I was also thinking about using UV (UV-C lamps designed to kill pathogens) but that can't possibly be good for the nest tenants.

I think what I'm going to do is leave some meal worms to mold in a plastic container set up the same as the Talus, and zap it with the laser to see what happens.
Keep you posted.

Edited by dspdrew, July 25 2015 - 10:13 AM.
Fixed quote formatting

• BugFinder likes this

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#18 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 24 2015 - 11:28 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

that would be great bud.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#19 Offline stuhrike - Posted July 25 2015 - 1:34 AM

stuhrike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

I was reading the THA website and they suggest that if your ants take in food that molds, to try and tie a string to it or through it so you can pull it out later.
For instance, with a meal worm, take a needle and thread and go through it to make a loop you can pull out later since they can't break the shell.  

Edited by stuhrike, July 25 2015 - 1:36 AM.

• AntsMAN likes this

#20 Offline NightsWebs - Posted July 25 2015 - 9:17 AM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I use several talus of my own.  I would recommend the modular Talus if you have issues with cleaning the talus.  The only issue you will have is deciding what substrate to use with the modular Talus.  I have 3 different species in Talus set up currently Pogonomyrmex Californicus, Pogonomyrmex Rugosus and Novomessor Cockerelli.  I haven't had any serious issues with mold except once when I left a grape in for a day and a half when it exploded with a mold ring.  I used some wet tissue paper and inserted into the claustral chamber hole and cleaned the rest of the Talus with a toothbrush some seriously diluted vinegar water.  I carefully rinsed and dabbed the talus to ensure it was completely cleaned and I let dry in the sun with the claustral window covered and shaded so as to not cook my Californicus inside.  After drying it looked new and I took inside and haven't had any issues since.  PS don't leave fruit in your Talus for too long.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users