• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Boosting with cocooned pupa

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 16 2015 - 7:07 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Since all the workers of one of my Formica francoeuri died after a failed move attempt, she's been absolutely restless so I'm trying to boost her with a pupa. I know a lot of cocooned pupae need help emerging from their bodybags. Should I try boosting with a naked pupa? Or can I trust that the nanitic will be able to emerge or that her motherly instincts will kick in and give it a hand?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 16 2015 - 7:41 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

bodybags

:lol:

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 20 2015 - 11:30 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

My M.creightoni would have a problem when helping nanitics emerge from pupae. Two generations of her brood were a waste because she would refuse to help them out of the "bodybags." Finally she decided to help one and that's how she finaly got a worker. I say give her as many pupae with bodybags as you want, but see if you can find a few without them.

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted July 20 2015 - 11:41 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Why do Myrmicinea pupae don't make body bags while Formicine, Ponerinae, and Dolichoderinae do? o.O

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted July 20 2015 - 2:23 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

If you have really fine tweezers you can remove hte cocoons from the pupae.

Or you can try to get the naked pupae.  Just watch that you don't grab alate pupae, look for pupae smaller than the workers.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#6 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 20 2015 - 2:58 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

My californicus seem to have some in "bodybags" and some are naked.  Is that normal?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#7 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 20 2015 - 3:52 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

My californicus seem to have some in "bodybags" and some are naked.  Is that normal?

Got a pic? I don't recall Pogonomyrmex having cocoons...

• LC3 likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#8 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 20 2015 - 4:09 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Haha, new ant term "bodybags" the cocoon like shell around a pupa of certain ant species.

• LC3 likes this

#9 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 20 2015 - 5:48 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Haha, new ant term "bodybags" the cocoon like shell around a pupa of certain ant species.

Well that is what they are, literally and figuratively!

#10 Offline William. T - Posted July 20 2015 - 6:18 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Bodybags make great food for ants. Just grab a few workers with the bodybags, and they bodybags will keep for days.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 23 2015 - 9:32 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Got a pic? I don't recall Pogos having cocoons...

Myrmicinae never make cocoons.

• Gregory2455 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users