• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Ant Spotting/Mating Chart

anting mating queens swarming alates mating flight nuptial flight

1665 replies to this topic

#81 Online dspdrew - Posted August 31 2014 - 7:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Insect dung if I'm not mistaken.

• Alacom likes this

#82 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 31 2014 - 7:30 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Awsomley fun to keep then probably.

#83 Offline Alza - Posted August 31 2014 - 7:40 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

idk how i feel about that

#84 Online dspdrew - Posted September 10 2014 - 7:46 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Here's a new one for the chart. Dorymyrmex insanus had a pretty big flight in Colton, California yesterday after it rained the day before. I got me a few more since my colony isn't doing too well.

#85 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 10 2014 - 10:10 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Nice, will you change the chart to say that Dorymyrmex insanus flies all summer? Because they obviously do with so many being caught this late.

#86 Online dspdrew - Posted September 10 2014 - 10:34 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm only adding what's been reported. I probably found a random Dorymyrmex insanus queen almost every month this summer, but I really only add them to the chart when it's a significant flight, where there's a fairly large amount of them. if we added something every single time any fertile alate or dealate was found, eventually the chart would be completely filled in and pretty much useless.

#87 Offline DesertAntz - Posted September 10 2014 - 1:47 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

True that. I feel like ants fly whenever they damn well please, in Arizona. The weather is almost always good for them as long as there is a little moisture.

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#88 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 14 2014 - 7:28 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nylanderia vividula flew yet again in Simi Valley, CA. The flights seem to happen in the first few hours after it becomes dark.

#89 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 16 2014 - 7:09 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Let me clarify, this is the largest Nylanderia vividula flight this year. Colonies have been releasing alates and males for the last three days!

#90 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted October 24 2014 - 3:13 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I am extremely sure that I caught Myrmica rubra, and a ton of them today in October. For me they gave up flying today for some reason so there going to fly tomorrow it seems so I may make a journal and I am attempting on make a super colony with tons of queens.

#91 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 31 2014 - 9:58 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

This ant, (Pictures coming soon) flew today, on 10/31/2014. I think it is Nylanderia vividula again, but they are FAT. One is so incredibly fat, it adds at least one millimeter to its length. Is it possible it has some parasite? Another thing that threw me off, is that WHAT ANT FLIES THIS LATE IN THE YEAR?!

(Also found a dead Brachymyrmex alate in the pool as well.)

Edited by Gregory2455, October 31 2014 - 10:00 PM.

#92 Online dspdrew - Posted November 1 2014 - 6:51 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The latest I saw Brachimyrmex and Nylanderia flying was the middle of September.

#93 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 1 2014 - 11:42 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

:thinking: I do not know. It is November first, and there are live struggling Nylanderia alates in my pool. :lol:

#94 Online dspdrew - Posted November 1 2014 - 4:58 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I saw over on the Ants California Facebook page that Dorymyrmex insanus flew up in Hollister, California yesterday.

#95 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 1 2014 - 11:11 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I seem to remember there being a Google Map of ant sightings. Does anyone have the link? And is it merged with the Antweb map? Speaking of Antweb, is there a way to view all species on the map? I couldn't seem to find that function...

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#96 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 1 2014 - 12:29 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Look at Drew's signature... :facepalm:

#97 Online dspdrew - Posted December 1 2014 - 12:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Look at Drew's signature... :facepalm:

:sarcastic:

Remember to check the "List" on AntWeb, because it looks like they only put records that have pictures on the map, and sometimes they don't even put those on there. I'm not sure why.

#98 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 1 2014 - 4:30 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

You guys are smart! I think it would've still taken me a while to find it. Is there a way to make the map or a clone of the map public so everyone can contribute their finds to it?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#99 Online dspdrew - Posted December 1 2014 - 4:50 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I could make it public, but I don't want to right now. If there were better features and control over it I probably would.

#100 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 1 2014 - 5:13 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I could make it public, but I don't want to right now. If there were better features and control over it I probably would.

Maybe front-end features are less robust than what is possible through the API?

Edited by drtrmiller, December 1 2014 - 5:14 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anting, mating, queens, swarming, alates, mating flight, nuptial flight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users