• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Ant Spotting/Mating Chart

anting mating queens swarming alates mating flight nuptial flight

1665 replies to this topic

#661 Offline Subverted - Posted April 29 2017 - 9:18 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I am wondering if you may have stumbled onto either a Polygerus raiding party or just Formica fleeing from them.

You are sure the workers were carrying around queens? Sounds like it if they have laid eggs.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#662 Offline Antony - Posted April 29 2017 - 9:29 AM

Antony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
So there were like 20 founding chamber but I couldn't dig them out since I didn't have my shovel or spade :( . But then I started looking closely at the workers thinking they had flies and I tried to make one it drop it. Then the "fly" turned out to be a queen. So I kept looking and caught more. Sad thing is I caught one worker in a test tube. When I got home and combined them they seemed to be apart of the same colony. I wish I caught more workers so I could have all queens accompanied but at least they have eggs.

Life is amazing, it is what it should be.

#663 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 29 2017 - 1:28 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Species: Prenolepis imparis

Date: 4-29-2017

Time: 1:00 PM

Temperature: 76 F

Humidity: 32%

Wind: 15mph, variable

Rain: 2 days ago

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#664 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 29 2017 - 2:28 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Date: 4-29-2017

Time: 1:00 PM

Temperature: 81 F

Humidity: 70%

Wind: Very Little

Rain: Heavy thunderstorms night before.

#665 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted April 29 2017 - 3:33 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

So... This is an odd one.

Species: Formica Fusca
Date: 4-17-17
Time: 2:30 - 3:30
Temperature: 55 F
Humidity: 38%
Wind: 16 MPH
Rain: 12 hours prior.

Are you sure? I actually haven't found any queens yet, but doesn't formica species fly more towards the beginning of summer around here?

Yes, I'm sure. I thought the same thing. Spring temperatures must be faking them out, since just the day before it was 68. She now has larvae.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#666 Offline klawfran3 - Posted May 1 2017 - 9:11 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

My Formica Podzolica dealate was found April 16 2017 at Jackrabbit canyon just outside Laramie, Wyoming under a rock. Not sure if she overwintered or had an early flight, but it was after a good bit of warm, sunny weather and light showers.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#667 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted May 2 2017 - 2:15 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

My Formica Podzolica dealate was found April 16 2017 at Jackrabbit canyon just outside Laramie, Wyoming under a rock. Not sure if she overwintered or had an early flight, but it was after a good bit of warm, sunny weather and light showers.

Wow! I caught my Formica Fusca around that time.

Global warming, huh.

• klawfran3 likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#668 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 2 2017 - 2:23 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Species: Pheidole bicarinata

Date: 5-1-2017

Time: 6:00 PM

Temperature: 75 F

Wind: 4mph 

Rain: Day Before

#669 Offline klawfran3 - Posted May 2 2017 - 2:56 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Global warming, huh.

Nah that's a myth invented by the Chinese to... ruin our economy? :facepalm:

sucks how it's really starting to change stuff, we had a bunch of warm days and nuptial flights and then a cold snap for the past few weeks that's probably killed most native alates. I'm not expecting to find much this year.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#670 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted May 2 2017 - 6:25 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Global warming, huh.

sucks how it's really starting to change stuff, we had a bunch of warm days and nuptial flights and then a cold snap for the past few weeks that's probably killed most native alates. I'm not expecting to find much this year.

I once saw Tetramorium sp.e queen de-alates in april!!!! It is definitely going to effect us more and more as time passes.

• klawfran3 likes this

#671 Offline klawfran3 - Posted May 2 2017 - 7:50 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Global warming, huh.

I once saw Tetramorium sp.e queen de-alates in april!!!! It is definitely going to effect us more and more as time passes.

definitely. The effects are going to be getting more and more dramatic, with more sporadic rainfall and longer drought periods in SoCal, meaning it will be harder and harder for native species to survive. Two years ago was supposed to be the biggest El Nino since 1984, and yet nothing happened at all except for a light drizzle. I'm glad there was so much rainfall last year, but it's really not going to help much in the long run if we start getting more and more polarized weather there.

Here in Wyo it was unusually warm for about a month and a half in february and march, something that hasnt happened in a long time, it was the warmest winter in about 100 years I believe. All of the sudden in April we had a massive frost that dropped below 20F for a while, which I guarantee killed quite a lot of insects here since they left hibernation and might not have been able to get back into it fast enough.

Luckily I managed to catch a couple queens and 14 specimens of a wasp that were leaving  hibernation over winter before the cold snap came in though. It was lucky because according to Dr. Scott Shaw here it's the first time they've been recorded in the Continental US, so I'll hopefully coauthor a paper with him about them soon if I can find their lepidopteran host. I say it's also unlucky because the cold snap I bet probably killed a lot of the wasps meaning I probably won't find more for a long time.

Edited by klawfran3, May 2 2017 - 7:52 PM.

#672 Offline Antony - Posted May 3 2017 - 7:07 AM

Antony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Saw around 20 argentine ant alates in back yard.

Life is amazing, it is what it should be.

#673 Offline SoySauce - Posted May 3 2017 - 8:22 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
Species: C. modoc, black C. vicinus, red/black C. vicinus, C. laevigatus, velvety
Date: 5-2-2017
Time: 8:30:00 PM
Temperature: 75 F
Wind: no wind
Rain: no recent rain, but it is very moist up there.

I found them all between 4000-6000' elevation. The vicinus was mostly on the live pine trees. Modocs were all on old dead felled pine logs that still had bark on them.

Edited by SoySauce, May 3 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#674 Offline SoySauce - Posted May 3 2017 - 8:31 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
They're literally flying right now. I'm sitting in a parking lot and I see them flying everywhere

#675 Offline SoySauce - Posted May 3 2017 - 9:13 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
They're swarming my truck!

2017050309375718-B941E521-B65A-435B-AF9F

It looks like they're the black vicinus flying right now.

IMG_5052-X2.jpg
  • ctantkeeper and Hayashi like this

#676 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 3 2017 - 9:23 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Bro!  That's such good fortune.  Please bring some black Modoc back.  What are you doing all the way up there?

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#677 Offline SoySauce - Posted May 3 2017 - 9:34 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Isn't it obvious??! I'm catching queens! And I'm bringing a grip load back. I had to stop last night cuz I ran out of cotton balls! I'm trying to fight my natural instinct of catching more this morning. I've got way too many but they're so prolific up here right now. Argh!
  • PTAntFan likes this

#678 Offline SoySauce - Posted May 3 2017 - 9:39 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
2017050310254560-IMG_5027-M.jpg

Argh! I can't embed videos. Well click on the picture. It's of a modoc colony preparing for a nuptial flight.

Edited by SoySauce, May 3 2017 - 9:42 AM.

• PTAntFan likes this

#679 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 3 2017 - 9:52 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

INSANE!  Did you make the trip just for this or had a little vacation planned?

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#680 Offline soulsynapse - Posted May 3 2017 - 9:54 AM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Where was this?

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anting, mating, queens, swarming, alates, mating flight, nuptial flight

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users