• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole obscurithorax journal

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 6 2024 - 5:15 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

First off, addressing what Grandma did. Nothing of the sort will ever happen again. As I deal with my self-harm wounds I will start with this journal, of an obscurithorax colony I caught.

Second off, apparently the queen wanted to reveal herself and be caught, because I only did a little digging and she popped right out, abandoning her loyal colony.

• bmb1bee likes this

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#2 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 6 2024 - 8:02 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

it's time for operation "PROTECT THE QUEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I kidnapped her and am about to kidnap the rest of her gang so they can be kidnapped together :DDDD

Edited by JesseTheAntKid, February 6 2024 - 8:03 PM.

• bmb1bee likes this

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#3 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 6 2024 - 8:59 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Good luck! Pheidole are a fairly rewarding species to keep, and are definitely a favorite of mine.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#4 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 6 2024 - 9:27 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
Your lucky to have so many pheidole 😡 but also, please don’t self-harm. It’s really not worth it.
  • rptraut, bmb1bee and Artisan_Ants like this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-P. occidentalis
-F. neogagtes
-T. longispinosus
I will want to also keep some lasius in the future.

#5 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 7 2024 - 2:11 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Just got her a brand new test tube. She is lethargic so she shouldn't be much of a problem when i introduce the rest of her loyal gang back in.

#6 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 7 2024 - 5:06 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

'Tis them who have all been thefted. They're nesting peacefully in their new test tube now.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

#7 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 7 2024 - 8:09 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
pics?
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-P. occidentalis
-F. neogagtes
-T. longispinosus

#8 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 8 2024 - 4:36 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

pics?

Yeah, haven’t ever seen a pic of these pheidole before.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#9 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 8 2024 - 3:10 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Ask and thou shalt receive.

they're a bit blurry but you can see the size of them.

Attached Images

• WIN_20240208_16_12_03_Pro.jpg

Edited by JesseTheAntKid, February 8 2024 - 4:14 PM.

#10 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 8 2024 - 3:12 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Let me highlight the queen here.

Attached Images

• ermmmmm.png

#11 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 8 2024 - 3:20 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Nice! They’re a pretty small colony, which should make them very easy to take care of. They also fairly big for pheidole.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#12 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 8 2024 - 4:01 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Nice! They’re a pretty small colony, which should make them very easy to take care of. They also fairly big for pheidole.

Problem is her colony used to be very large. She's got workers and majors but i don't know if she is not depressed.

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 8 2024 - 4:10 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
*Ask and thou shalt receive.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#14 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 8 2024 - 4:14 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

*Ask and thou shalt receive.

Sorry!

#15 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 8 2024 - 7:11 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Should i let the queen start form scratch? She only has one minor and the majors will be no help in brood care.

#16 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 8 2024 - 9:02 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
no, the queen will certainly die from the shock of losing all her colony, she also won’t survive because she knows what its like to have workers already
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-P. occidentalis
-F. neogagtes
-T. longispinosus

#17 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 11 2024 - 7:50 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

I have thefted more workers and majors. Planning on performing a large heist.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

#18 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 14 2024 - 2:37 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

The heist has not been prepared. However.

I can clearly see how P. obscurithorax builds their nests. They start with one whole and dig and spread. Imma give them a bigger container once i theft the rest of the colony. We'll see if they build the same way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users