• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Proper use of featherlight tweezers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 15 2015 - 6:52 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Does anyone have a technique of using tweezers to pick up ants or brood effectively without squishing them? The last few times I used them to pick up pupae, I was so scared of smashing them I kept dropping them instead. How to you gauge the right amount of pressure to apply?

• ctantkeeper likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 15 2015 - 8:24 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

http://www.livescien...gn=related_test

Sorry, I just came across that and felt it somewhat relevant XP

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted July 15 2015 - 8:54 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

With sets I have, as long as you hold the base and not the middle or tip of the tweezers, you literally cannot squish larvae, pupae, or workers.  It is only when you tightly squeeze the middle or areas closer to the tip that the flexible metal has enough strength to harm.

For really bothersome eggs, I dampen the end of a toothpick and roll the eggs on it, and off in the new location.  Eggs and larvae tend to stick to damp objects.

• Gregory2455 and LC3 like this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted July 16 2015 - 12:27 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

For brood or pupae, I only use a soft brush.

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#5 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 16 2015 - 6:57 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

For brood or pupae, I only use a soft brush.

Not sure why I never thought of that. Do you have to wet the brush for them to stick?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 16 2015 - 7:37 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

For moving small brood I use a wooden barbeque screwer. The wood absorbs the water and becomes damp, allowing the brood to stick. Since it's fairly hard and smooth, it's easy to control exactly where I place them. The roundness allows you to spin it as you pick them up so you are sure not to crush any of the eggs. I can quickly move a whole pile of the tiniest eggs this way without damaging any of them.

#7 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 16 2015 - 7:47 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

For moving small brood I use a wooden barbeque screwer. The wood absorbs the water and becomes damp, allowing the brood to stick. Since it's fairly hard and smooth, it's easy to control exactly where I place them. The roundness allows you to spin it as you pick them up so you are sure not to crush any of the eggs. I can quickly move a whole pile of the tiniest eggs this way without damaging any of them.

That's what I use for eggs too. I haven't tried it with larvae and pupae though, and probably won't work as well (especially for large or cocooned pupae).

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 16 2015 - 9:07 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It works great for me on any sized brood. I just use the large end for larger brood. If it's wet, they will stick to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users