• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Myrmecocystus mimicus Journal [217] (Updated 12-14-2021)

dspdrew journal myrmecocystus mimicus

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 18 2018 - 6:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 2-18-2018

Unfortunately a while back, while waiting for the colony I was transferring to a larger Dirt Box to move in, they were so stubborn that they just stayed in their old nest until it dried out and they all died.

Now I'm left with just the original colony, which is actually doing really well. I counted around 175 workers, and they now have TONS of tiny new larvae. It looks like it snowed for about an inch and a half of one chamber. I would take a picture, but it's just way too hard to see it on camera, especially in the really old plastic Dirt Box they are in.

#62 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 15 2018 - 4:53 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 3-15-2018

Good news and bad news. First of all the orange and black colony does not seem to be producing anymore. It's been months since I have seen any brood. The good news is I might have just found a bunch more of these queens. I found 22 of the queens with the red head, purple thorax, and yellow gaster out in Whitewater on 3-13-2018. They were actually digging their nests in the rain. I'm assuming they are either M. mimicus, or this orange and black species that I have not yet ID'd.

All the Dirt Boxes without the little colored labels have these new queens in them.

gallery_2_414_630803.jpg

Some of these queens started digging their nests in less than a minute after dropping them in. It was pretty amazing.

Two days have passed, and most of them are still digging. They're digging more than any queens I've ever had.

gallery_2_414_1605357.jpg

gallery_2_414_1243495.jpg
  • 100lols likes this

#63 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 15 2018 - 4:58 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

"Pics or it didn't happen." Come on, Drew... It's not your first day on the internet.. 

Do you still have your green eyed crickets? Between them, the orange-blackos, and your new 22 Spanish Republic Queens, you've got quite the color pallet going. 

• KBant likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#64 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 17 2018 - 3:08 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

"Pics or it didn't happen." Come on, Drew... It's not your first day on the internet.. 

Do you still have your green eyed crickets? Between them, the orange-blackos, and your new 22 Spanish Republic Queens, you've got quite the color pallet going. 

There's your pics. ^ ^

• sgheaton likes this

#65 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted March 17 2018 - 8:01 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Woah! That's a ton of dirt boxes! Mine has layed egg(s?)in her tube, any ideas on how to safely move it into a dirt box?

Edited by YsTheAnt, March 17 2018 - 9:50 AM.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#66 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted March 18 2018 - 3:57 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Just dump her in. Make sure to take all the eggs out too, but wait to put them in until she is settled a bit so she doesn't eat them. 

#67 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 18 2018 - 4:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

When I move queens into a Dirt Box and they already have brood, I use an applicator bottle or wash to squirt water into the bottom hole to carve out a little chamber. I then put the queen and large brood inside the chamber, and then stick the small brood to the plug with a little moisture, and put the plug back in.

#68 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted March 18 2018 - 5:02 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Ok, I managed to get everything in :D

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#69 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 26 2018 - 6:06 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 3-26-2018

So far all but one of these new queens are alive and well. They all have laid eggs too. One queen I traded with someone, and another has developed some sort of tumor-looking thing on the side of its thorax, possibly caused by a parasite.

You can follow what happens with this thing on this separate thread I posted about it here (http://www.formicult...ueen-with-tumor).

• Martialis and Aaron567 like this

#70 Offline Leo - Posted April 18 2018 - 5:01 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

That is nasty...

#71 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 15 2018 - 4:55 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 5-15-2018

About one week ago, the new queens from Whitewater, CA got their first workers, and they are all the orange and black species like I suspected since I saw a lot of those colonies active while these were flying. I'm pretty happy because I really wanted more of these; my larger colony hasn't produced anything in months.

• gcsnelling likes this

#72 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 15 2018 - 2:46 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Any news on the mystery growth?

#73 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 15 2018 - 5:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Any news on the mystery growth?

It hasn't really changed, except shriveled a little more. I think it might be dead.

#74 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 15 2018 - 5:30 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Bummer

#75 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted June 15 2018 - 2:26 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Now that you got a dead one, can you take pictures and ID it?

#76 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 7 2018 - 1:36 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 8-7-2018

The large orange and black colony living in the giant vase formicarium still hasn't produced any more brood.

I decided to keep four of the new colonies, and they seem to be doing well. One has about 35 workers, two have 25 workers, and the last has 15.

About two months ago, I gave some of these colonies brood from a different species of Myrmecocystus, as I have done many times before, and for the first time ever, one of those colonies not only accepted the brood, but kept it until it eclosed. That colony ended up with two workers from a completely different species. These pictures are horrible, but you can clearly see two different species living together in the same formicarium. Unlike the ones in this journal, these are mostly black with red heads, and much larger in size.

gallery_2_414_123627.jpg

gallery_2_414_202828.jpg
  • rdurham02 and FeedTheAnts like this

#77 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 8 2018 - 4:47 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-8-2018

The large orange and black colony in the vase setup is dying off because the queen still hasn't laid anymore eggs.

Since the new orange and black colonies were doing so well, I sold one of them. I now have two colonies still in small Dirt Boxes, both with over 50 workers, and one colony in a large Dirt Box with over 50 workers as well.

The original dark colored colony is doing great still. They now have about 300 workers and 6 small repletes.

#78 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 6 2019 - 4:44 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

What caused them to fly, in Trabuco?  Rain, heat?  Also, did they fly in decent numbers?

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#79 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 21 2020 - 5:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 5-21-2020

It's been a long time since I updated this journal, so I might not be completely sure as to where some of the colonies went. :lol:

About a month ago, I found a bunch more of these dark queens with the yellow gasters. These were found in the Lancaster area after some rain went through. They have the highest contrast of colors that I have seen in these queens; the gasters were fairly bright, and the thorax was very dark. I put them in however many Dirt Box setups I had vacant at the time, and sold the rest. Once they have workers, I'll try keying them out to see if they might be something else.

gallery_2_414_330126.jpg

I still have the dark colored colony in the old prototype version of my large Dirt Box. It's hard to count the workers in those setups, but I'm pretty sure it's probably still in the hundreds like it was in the last update.

Here's some pictures of them now.

gallery_2_414_145502.jpg

gallery_2_414_597196.jpg

gallery_2_414_913885.jpg

gallery_2_414_942293.jpg

gallery_2_414_912925.jpg

gallery_2_414_495384.jpg

Here's a pretty good shot of the queen, which you can see if very brightly colored for having such dark workers. It's so strange.

gallery_2_414_1620046.jpg

Here's all their newest brood. They continue to produce quite a bit.

gallery_2_414_54002.jpg

The orange and black colony is gone now. The queen eventually died after not producing anything for a very long time.

Of the two newer orange and black colonies (actually they were more of an orangish red and black), I'm not completely sure what happened to one of them, but the other one I moved into a fresh new giant Vase setup.

As part of my normal moving process, I dumped the Dirt Box out into a large bin and spread everything out. I dropped a test tube setup in there, and about a day later, most of the ants and all of the brood were in the tube. I then set the tube on the surface of the new Vase setup.

gallery_2_414_624983.jpg

It didn't take them long at all to start digging their nest. Here is what the entrance looks like now.

gallery_2_414_246180.jpg

Here's some pictures of the colony feeding.

gallery_2_414_937245.jpg

gallery_2_414_1069314.jpg

gallery_2_414_749613.jpg

gallery_2_414_192034.jpg

gallery_2_414_332910.jpg

gallery_2_414_1005954.jpg

• TennesseeAnts, AntsBC and AntsDakota like this

#80 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 22 2020 - 2:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
These dirt set ups are so cool! Still hoping you’ll make more for sale. Can you explain how hydration works in the vase? Is it just water seeping into hydrostone below?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrew, journal, myrmecocystus mimicus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users