• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Using Red Light to Spy on Founding Queens Without Disturbing Them?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 2 2015 - 3:46 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Does anyone think this is possible? Since ants cannot see red light, do you think it would be possible to peek at founding queens to check on their progress to raising workers with a red light?

#2 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 2 2015 - 3:58 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

I think I saw Terry say it's really more a myth that they can't see red. I think it may be usually it's just having some of the light filtered from coming through makes it just a bit darker so they relax more.

• cpman likes this

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 2 2015 - 3:58 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I bought some light filtering films of different colors I'm going to have laser cut for the GroTube XL.

If nothing else, it will lessen the intensity of light entering the housing, which may help some ants feel more secure.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 2 2015 - 4:01 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Rofl, I'm getting pretty good at predicting what Terry is going to say.

• drtrmiller, BugFinder, AntsTexas and 1 other like this

#5 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 3 2015 - 9:48 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I was just reading about this last night, a group of scientists did an experiment (easily found on google) and their conclusion was they can detect certain wavelengths/intensities of red. IIRC, scarlet red was the least detectable.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#6 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 9 2015 - 7:22 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I use a small red LED light to look at all my colonies, it doesen't seem to bother tham at all.

Camponotus herculeanus, Lasius neoniger, and Formica fusca.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#7 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 17 2015 - 6:27 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I've found, to some extent, they are bothered less by LED than incandescent light. But I haven't studied it, just a possible observation.

#8 Offline AntsTexas - Posted July 17 2015 - 6:39 AM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

i use a flashlight 2 look at my Pogonomyrmex queens (the light don't freak them out) while my S. invicta queens will get freaky with the same light..... 

Edited by AntsTexas, July 17 2015 - 6:39 AM.

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#9 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 17 2015 - 11:26 AM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

reptiles and insects alike, are not bothered by low red light. they don't see infrared very well at all. 

Edited by larynix, July 17 2015 - 11:46 AM.

#10 Offline AntsTexas - Posted July 17 2015 - 2:47 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

reptiles and insects alike, are not bothered by low red light. they don't see infrared very well at all. 

i wonder if u can put a/an I.R. camera in their "quiet place" to watch/keep an eye on them w/o disturbing them....

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#11 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 17 2015 - 6:14 PM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

i wonder if u can put a/an I.R. camera in their "quiet place" to watch/keep an eye on them w/o disturbing them....

I'm pretty sure that would work. i raised a few insects, where i used that method. it worked fine. they didn't have a clue. I've also used them on constrictors, and monitor lizards while they were caring for brood or eggs, and had no troubles. this is my first experience with ants, so i can't say for sure, but it was just fine for the experiences listed.

#12 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 17 2015 - 7:31 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I agree.  In my observation, ants respond more distinctly to blue and UV light than to red, and not at all to IR.

• ohhhhh likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users