• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hibernation Hazards - condensation in a cooler

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Crystals - Posted November 28 2013 - 7:19 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

If you keep your ants in a cooler and use cold objects to lower the temperature, remember that the cold objects can create condensation.  I used a frozen bucket of ice.

Also keep in mind that some drain plugs are over 1cm above the bottom of the cooler.

So despite opening my drain plug every couple of days, water was able to enter my formicariums before it got high enough to reach the drain.  Luckily I exchange the buckets every day, so I check on them when I do it. 

I had to pull them out of the cooler to drain the lower tunnels of water, the higher tunnels were still safe.  Despite a couple hundred ants between my Lasius and Camponotus formicariums it looks like I only have 2 deaths, one Lasius and one Camponotus.

So my two main colonies are currently on a shelf drying out.  It will probably take a few days for them to dry out a bit to the point where there is no condensation, then they need to go back into hibernation.

Now I will lay a small towel on the bottom of the cooler and have a second one rolled into a cylinder on one side.  The flat towel will absorb the moisture and transfer it to the rolled up one, and I can easily exchange the rolled up one when it gets damp.

I think next year I am going to get a small fridge or an electric cooler...

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users