• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Camponotus castaneus and Solenopsis invicta queens (Spytim)

ants journal spytim south carolina solenopsis invicta campnotus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline spytim - Posted July 2 2015 - 9:48 AM

spytim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

6/24/2015

Hello everyone, I decided to make a journal on my Camponotus castaneus Queen and several of my queens I caught here in South Carolina. Currently i have them all in a test tube setup out in my shed in the dark, I got Solenopsis invicta during a nuptial flight a couple weeks back from a colony that recently passed away due to pest control. Being new to anting i have been very careful not to disturb them and only check on them once a week. So far the Solenopsis invicta are doing great! All three queens have laid a ton of eggs, here is a picture. (Hopefully the picture is not too large and not too bad quality)

Queen #1 
3111c3b8ca034cfc8eb3e916e1434c31.jpg

And my beautiful Camponotus castaneus queen, so pretty ^_^

Queen #2 
280d5cbe469a48489661f9eb036fdfdf.jpg
I have high hopes for these girls, fingers crossed! 
(Any suggestions are welcome, I'm new to this :3)

6/27/2015

I just checked one of my Solenopsis invicta queens and i have nanitics! I will post a picture as soon as she gets a couple more. ^_^

6/28/2015

Hurray! Now it is time to give them a little honey. :D

4f9e88461cb849fca0545a55f520b741.jpg

7/2/2015 

Queen #3 the second Solenopsis queen now have three nanitics! hurray! 

SO HAPPY! ^_^ 
(More photos soon!) 

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 2 2015 - 2:36 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Congrats!

#3 Offline spytim - Posted July 5 2015 - 10:43 AM

spytim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Well, my Camponotus has three larvae and one cocoon currently with several more eggs. For the sake of not disturbing her, i will wait till a larger development before taking pictures. As for my Solenopsis, the first one is up to over 20 workers and is still in the test tube but now in a large container to forage in. (I'm all about simple setups) The second one just reached about 13 workers and is connected to a small 6 by 2 foraging container. And finally the last one is about 5 workers but a bunch of eggs! 

Solenopsis COLONY 2 (hopefully pics are all right) 

e21cc94a7f074668837985c7c6984274.jpeg

Solenopsis COLONY 1

27322aeb1e554a2cbb81fe3234be1fb2.jpeg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, journal, spytim, south carolina, solenopsis invicta, campnotus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users