• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius niger

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alexant - Posted June 25 2015 - 6:35 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Hello everybody :). I am curious about Lasius niger, particularly the Queen. I have seen that you can start a colony with more than one founding Queen. How many would you say is the limit? Also, which is better, a vertical plaster nest of a horizontal/flat one?

Thank you in advance

Alex

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted June 25 2015 - 8:43 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I'd suggest one. Because Lasius niger grows extremely fast and it's likely that the workers will kil all the queens but one or the queens will fight each other eventually.

#3 Offline Barristan - Posted June 25 2015 - 10:46 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Lasius niger is a monogynous species.

But the species can found their colony by pleometrosis. However after the first workers have hatched they will kill all queens except for one (there is also a risk that even the remaining queen will be damaged). I think there is no limit in the number of queens. Someone tried it out with 20 queens as far as I remember with no problems.

It doesn't really matter if you build a vertical or horizontal nest, if you build a vertical one make the chambers deeper and if you build a horizontal one make them wider.

Edited by Barristan, June 25 2015 - 10:47 AM.

• cpman likes this

#4 Offline Bardusquus - Posted June 25 2015 - 1:22 PM

Bardusquus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Wrong sub-forum buddy.

#5 Offline Alexant - Posted June 26 2015 - 1:19 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members