• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Discussion - byFormica Sunburst Ant Nectar

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 26 2019 - 1:50 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Edited by drtrmiller, August 28 2019 - 7:38 PM.

• Serafine likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#122 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted July 26 2019 - 6:34 PM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley California

I just purchased some a couple hours ago, as well as linked this to the discord server. I am excited to try out the new blend and the liquid feeders as this will be my first time using them.

Keep up the good work!

Check out my journals, instagram, and youtube channel.

Insta: @theantguy17

Youtube: The Ant Guy

#123 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 14 2019 - 12:24 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Natural Color Issues:

Although I have not received any customer reports, I have observed that the natural annatto color we switched to recently has some stability issues.  The color may fade more rapidly than expected.

No other quality metric that I've tested has changed, and so please be advised that changes in color are not an indication that the product has deteriorated in quality, except for the natural colors.  I'm actively investigating the issue and will post an update as appropriate.

Customers who wish to receive a replacement or refund, please contact us at support@byformica.com.

Time for a quick FAQ:

Sunburst is watery.  I expected it to be thicker?

The watery consistency of Sunburst Ant Nectar is expected.

Thicker sugar solutions are less attractive to ants, possibly because thicker substances require more effort by the ant to consume the fluid, or create water imbalances inside the small ants.  As such, the sugar to water ratio is meticulously formulated to create a product that is extremely attractive to a large number of ant species and is easy to consume.  Ants consuming Sunburst will recruit more workers, consume more fluid, and become more engorged in appearance compared to ants fed a thicker syrup.

As Sunburst evaporates into a thicker syrup, the ants will be less receptive to it.  If using a byFormica liquid feeder, users may go a number of days or weeks between refills.  When the thicker evaporated syrup is replaced with fresh, watery Sunburst, the ants will be strongly receptive to it again.

What does Sunburst smell like?  How do I know if it has "gone off" based on smell?

Sunburst Original Formula should have little or no detectable odor.

Sunburst Summer Honeysuckle may smell slightly sweet or fruity, with light notes of caramel or maple syrup.

It is not possible to determine whether the Sunburst has "gone off" based on smell.  If your Sunburst shows sign of precipitate, meaning it is cloudy in appearance rather than crystal clear yellow/orange, this is an indication that the product has been exposed to air for an extended period of time, and the product should be replaced.  Contact Us for a replacement, but DO NOT discard the defective product.

If you have questions about the quality of the Sunburst product you are using, please Contact Us.

Edited by drtrmiller, April 9 2020 - 8:43 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#124 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 28 2019 - 11:45 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Edited by drtrmiller, September 6 2019 - 1:41 PM.

• Mercutia and OhNoNotAgain like this

#125 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 15 2020 - 1:44 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Sunburst Ant Nectar is now available for sale by the case to customers in the United States.  Each bottle in the 24-pack case is individually labeled for resale.

Check it out on Amazon today, or contact me to pay via PayPal for an even more substantial discount.

Edited by drtrmiller, January 15 2020 - 9:30 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Boog like this

#126 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 16 2020 - 1:18 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s better than a case of ‘Claws!
  • TennesseeAnts and rbarreto like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#127 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 28 2020 - 3:43 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I recently read some discussion in other groups about a study involving melezitose, and so I have composed a response to the discussion here.

The objective of the authors was to compare the response of ants to different sources of carbohydrates versus a sucrose control in order to determine the "relative sweetness" of the competing carbohydrate sources.  In the case of the melezitose, the authors were able to elicit the same response by the ants as the sucrose control (termed isoeffective concentration), while using a lower molar concentration of melezitose.  In other words, less melezitose sugar was required to achieve the same response as the control, as measured by the number of ants attending the bait.

Having replicated these experiments myself, I can say the author's work is very sound, and there are important unanswered questions as to why ants display these carbohydrate preferences, given they should all equal about the same energy?  Other articles ask this question, and go into depth studying the intestinal gut flora of ants, or bacteria living in the soil where aphids are abundant and their secretions frequently fall to the ground.

In any case, it would be a mistake to draw the incorrect conclusions from these studies on the relative effectiveness of each carbohydrate as ant food.  The objective in formulating an animal food is to determine the ideal combination and amount of ingredients to ensure optimal feeding response by the target organism.  This was my objective when formulating Sunburst Ant Nectar, and I still read what I can and experiment all the time in hope of discovering something new and improving the product.

The main issue with using data from the 2001 study to determine what best to feed ants, is that the authors of the article use a low sucrose concentration (100g/L) as the control.  As I have discovered, the results of the relative sweetness studies are not applicable to the more highly concentrated sugar solutions offered in unlimited supply to ants kept in captivity.  In the case of more highly concentrated sugar solutions, there is no difference between them.

Edited by drtrmiller, March 28 2020 - 3:51 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#128 Offline Serafine - Posted April 9 2020 - 2:00 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Maybe interesting:

https://www.research...up_fig1_7509434

unknown.png

Acceptance-and-survival-of-ants-receivin

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#129 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 12 2020 - 8:23 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Thanks to Barristan over at CrazyAnts.de for taking this photo of ants drinking Sunburst from a byFormica liquid feeder. It is beautiful!

Edited by drtrmiller, April 12 2020 - 8:24 PM.

• Barristan, justanotheramy and Luke925 like this

#130 Offline FSTP - Posted April 13 2020 - 3:53 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

This continues to be a Sunburst Ant Nectar thread. 

#131 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 13 2020 - 4:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Crematogaster cerasi B)

• Barristan, AntsDakota and Luke925 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#132 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 3 2020 - 6:40 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

How Sunburst Is Made

#133 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 3 2020 - 9:25 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Awesome! Looks really high tech too.
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users