• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Discussion - byFormica Sunburst Ant Nectar

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Guzzer - Posted May 17 2017 - 3:42 PM

Guzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

I have tried this on some of our Australian Myrmecia, Pheidole & Aphaenogaster ants. Most of the ants that took to sweet liquids/solids (Mayple syrup - raw honey) really love this product.

I have been using as instructed by GamerGate to place it on a cotton ball and a few drops every few days.

I am finding I only need to place a few drops twice a week.

Great product as it's less mess and no preparation needed.

#62 Offline iXvXi - Posted May 18 2017 - 2:36 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

While I continue to give it to my tetramoriums, they don't seem to interested. I have never had them empty a container. I do not see them on the units ever. They seem more interested in chicken from my pizza.

I find my Tetramorium don't drink much sucrose at all in general, and their diet is mainly protein. Very small ants and giant brood piles, makes sense I guess. Whenever I decide to feed my Tetramorium they do drink it, but they can never finish much nectar of any type at all.

Maybe my colony is an exception but my Tetramorium colony drinks about 4ml of sunburst weekly; sometimes more. They're also about 1.5-2k strong, maybe they're taking to it and you're just not noticing due to the colony size?

Tetramorium are typically attracted to sweets. Are you supplying another source of sugar?
  • Kevin likes this

#63 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted May 18 2017 - 5:54 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Maybe my colony is an exception but my Tetramorium colony drinks about 4ml of sunburst weekly; sometimes more. They're also about 1.5-2k strong, maybe they're taking to it and you're just not noticing due to the colony size?

Tetramorium are typically attracted to sweets. Are you supplying another source of sugar?

You have a colony of Tetramorium with over 1,500 workers??

#64 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 19 2017 - 3:12 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I always tell folks that small or unhealthy colonies, those without a lot of brood, or those entering or just exiting diapause, will generally have different dietary preferences compared to large, healthy colonies with lots of brood.

As you mention, iXvXi, most issues with Sunburst receptivity probably have to do with redundancy caused by feeding other sugars, such as honey. For some reason, antkeepers have some strange notion that honey is a required or preferred sugar source because it is "natural." From a chemical standpoint, it is not necessary to feed other sugary foods when feeding Sunburst, because they provide roughly equivalent nutritive and chemical properties.  The difference is that Sunburst has been optimized for receptivity, whereas honey is a concentrate intended for consumption by bees and their larvae.

You have a colony of Tetramorium with over 1,500 workers??

"A colony can sustain about 10,000 workers who weigh about 6.5g in the aggregate (Wilson 1971). (National Pest Management Association inc., 2001; Wilson, 1971)"

This website has accrued a lot of information on the species: http://animaldiversi...rium_caespitum/

Edited by drtrmiller, May 19 2017 - 3:13 AM.

• ctantkeeper and Martialis like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#65 Offline LearningAntz - Posted June 30 2018 - 7:39 PM

LearningAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSherwood Park, AB (Canada)
Do you know when Sunburst will be restocked? Really looking forward to making a purchase.

#66 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 30 2018 - 7:41 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Do you know when Sunburst will be restocked? Really looking forward to making a purchase.

It's being made right now.  Unfortunately, I don't have an estimated availability date.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 29 2018 - 5:06 PM.

• mallonje likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#67 Offline Zeiss - Posted June 30 2018 - 7:44 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

It's being made right now.  If everything goes smoothly, it should be available as early as late July.

Glad to hear, Miller!  I know you weren't happy with the old ones a couple years ago, but I still have some and the ants still continue to use it.  I'm also still using some old Formula Blue and it works well.  Can't wait for more of your products to be on the market again.

#68 Offline nick53588 - Posted August 29 2018 - 2:25 PM

nick53588

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, Colorado

Any update on the Sunburst Nectar? I think I can speak for many that we are eager to get our hands on some :)

• Spamdy likes this

Founding:

4x Tetramorium

3x Lasius Neoniger

18x Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis

#69 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 29 2018 - 5:05 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Any update on the Sunburst Nectar? I think I can speak for many that we are eager to get our hands on some :)

It is being actively worked on.  Unfortunately, I don't have an estimated availability date.

• Spamdy likes this

#70 Offline nick53588 - Posted August 31 2018 - 1:50 PM

nick53588

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, Colorado

Thanks for the update! 

Founding:

4x Tetramorium

3x Lasius Neoniger

18x Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis

#71 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 30 2019 - 5:58 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Sunburst Ant Nectar is shipping now from Amazon and AntKeepingDepot.

Additional announcements to come as the shipments are received into the warehouses.

ant_icon_2.png Buy Sunburst Ant Nectar: flag_american_icon.jpg Amazon.com | au.jpg Worldwide Shipping (AntKeepingDepot)

Edited by drtrmiller, February 11 2019 - 2:58 PM.

• FSTP likes this

#72 Offline Rstheant - Posted January 30 2019 - 6:08 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Sunburst Ant Nectar is expected to return to Amazon and AntKeepingDepot.com by the end of February, 2019.

Additional announcements to come as the shipments are received into the warehouses.

Finally!! I’m going to purchase one or two bottles and give it a test. Way to go Drtmiller!!

Edited by Rstheant, February 1 2019 - 6:54 PM.

#73 Offline Serafine - Posted January 31 2019 - 10:18 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Sunburst Ant Nectar is expected to return to Amazon and AntKeepingDepot.com by the end of February, 2019.

Don't forget to make bundles with feeders.

Edited by Serafine, January 31 2019 - 10:19 PM.

• FSTP likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#74 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 2 2019 - 12:09 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

byFormica Sunburst Ant Nectar is back in stock on Amazon.com!

• NEW LOWER PRICE - We want everyone to be able to enjoy Sunburst, so we have permanently reduced the price of larger sized bottles.  All authorized distributors worldwide will have the same prices (byFormica Ant Products on Amazon, and AntKeepingDepot.com).  eBay sellers are not authorized distributors of byFormica products, and typically sell our products at higher prices.

What size bottle should I choose?

While everyone will use the product differently, the following table may offer some general guidelines as to the use-capacity* of each bottle size.

uc?export=view&id=1SADAa1XG3T1diRI5wEozj

* Use-capacity determined by offering small colonies either 0.5 or 1 ml of product every 3 days, and larger colonies 2 or 4 ml of product every 3 days.

• NEW SHELF LIFE GUIDANCE - With proper storage (keeping the bottle tightly closed), small bottles of Sunburst are expected to stay fresh about 3 months after opening, while larger bottles may stay fresh about 6 months after opening.  Shelf life after opening assumes regular usage. For the best experience, purchase the smallest amount you expect to use within that time frame (more info).

• UPDATED PRODUCT INFORMATION - Review the product detail page and the original post to this thread for the most up-to-date product information.

We are currently allocating additional inventory for distributors worldwide, including Amazon Prime (US & UK) and AntKeepingDepot.com. These distribution options are expected to become available within the next 2-4 weeks.

Please post your questions and feedback here, and help us grow by submitting product reviews on Amazon and other places where Sunburst is sold.

ant_icon_2.png Buy Sunburst Ant Nectar: flag_american_icon.jpg Amazon.com | au.jpg Worldwide Shipping (AntKeepingDepot)

• noebl1, Enderz, FSTP and 1 other like this

#75 Offline Xanuri - Posted February 4 2019 - 9:46 AM

Xanuri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationApache Junction, Arizona

Great News! I ordered mine the day it was available and it arrives today! I am looking forward too it!

• noebl1 likes this

Current Ants:

C. CA02

C. fragilis

C. vicinus

M. mendax

N. cockerelli

V. pergandei

#76 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 4 2019 - 3:17 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Same :D

Great News! I ordered mine the day it was available and it arrives today! I am looking forward too it!

#77 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 7 2019 - 4:01 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
My SUNBURST came yesterday. Solenopsis xyloni love the stuff. I had to refill their drink tray 3 times!! Got tired and gave them a quality byformica feeder... waiting for results on other colonies.

Colonies tested:

Camponotus fragilis - approved of new nectar
Myrmecocystus navajo - awaiting results
Myrmecocystus mexicanus - awaiting results.
Solenopsis xyloni - you know what, I don’t even care.... they, like always approved of the nectar, except I haven’t seen them so excited about the stuff.

I will try on some more species once they come out of hibernation.

#78 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 8 2019 - 2:08 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I appreciate the feedback.  All ants which consume sugary liquids should readily accept freshly dispensed Sunburst Ant Nectar.

If any ants accept honey or homemade sugar water solutions more vigorously than Sunburst, that would be something I'd be interested in hearing about, because it would be highly unexpected.

#79 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 8 2019 - 4:39 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I mean my Liometopum occidentalis has readily excepted raw hummingbird nectar, even though they don’t need it as much, but they piled dirt on sunburst. Actually my fragilis have still not drank from sunburst. I tried a feeder and wax paper. :(

Edited by Rstheant, February 8 2019 - 9:47 PM.

#80 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 8 2019 - 4:55 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I mean my Liometopum occidentalis has readily excepted raw hummingbird nectar, even though they don’t need it as much, but the piled dirt on sunburst. Actually my fragilis have still not drank from sunburst. I tried a feeder and wax paper. :(

It sounds like your ants are well fed. They aren't going to drink if they're not hungry, or after recently filling up on another sugary food.  Ants put dirt on moist foods after they've finished eating, so only give your ants as much as they can consume within a couple hours.

There are a lot of factors that can affect feeding activity, such as low ambient temperature, small number of brood/workers, not enough time since last feeding, etc.

If any ants accept honey or homemade sugar water solutions more vigorously than Sunburst, that would be something I'd be interested in hearing about, because it would be highly unexpected.

To clarify, what I meant by this would have been a side-by-side comparison between two sugary liquids at the same time, and by a colony with a sufficient number of workers so as to definitively conclude that one sugary liquid was prefered over another.

If ants are fed a sugary liquid, and then offered Sunburst some time later, it would be reasonable and expected for them to reject the Sunburst if they are completely filled up on the other sugary liquid fed earlier.

In conclusion, Sunburst is >= sugar water; it is not a miracle appetite stimulant that causes ants to feed even after they are already full of food.  And small colonies don't feed all that often, so there's no reason to be  :( just because they aren't feeding as frequently as you'd like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users