• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Myrmecocystus mexicanus Journal [124] (Updated 2-4-2024)

myrmecocystus dspdrew journal

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#201 Offline FSTP - Posted December 17 2018 - 9:56 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I'm pretty sure any worker can become a replete at any point in its life time. It doesn't have to do so as soon as its eclosed.

No, they do have to be fed before their exoskeleton hardens. If a normal worker was to eat as much as a replete can, its gaster would burst.

I'm going to respectively disagree. The exoskeleton does not stretch. Not in repletes or any ant for that matter.  The abdomen of the replete is comprised of abdominal tergites and sternites primarily, these are connected through a flexible interconnecting membrane. Its is this membrane that is stretching to accommodate the enlarging of the gaster as a whole. It takes time for a worker to stretch to become a full replete They've eclosed and "hardened" by the time this is taking place. 

I could be wrong but that's how I see it.

• dspdrew, LC3, TennesseeAnts and 2 others like this

#202 Offline Rstheant - Posted December 18 2018 - 8:03 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
This becoming a good debate topic!

#203 Offline Guy_Fieri - Posted December 18 2018 - 3:08 PM

Guy_Fieri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationOrange County
Well the membrane does not stretch either as far as I know. An adult insect has a finite amount of membrane, and it does not really expand, they just have some extra folded beneath the plates on their exoskeleton. This explains why an insect can gain significant size from one feeding. But someone may have to personally see this process happen in ants, and it may vary between different genuses.

Edited by Guy_Fieri, December 18 2018 - 3:11 PM.

• Rstheant likes this

#204 Offline FSTP - Posted December 18 2018 - 3:13 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Well the membrane does not stretch either as far as I know.

Of course the membrane strecthes, that is literally one of the functions of a memnbrane, lol.

#205 Offline Guy_Fieri - Posted December 18 2018 - 4:35 PM

Guy_Fieri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationOrange County
Well the membrane can “stretch”, but only enough so that the insect can move, not in the context we are speaking of though with repletes. And even so, the membrane folds when the insect is standing still, it only fully extends if the insect is moving, and it can not stretch beyond that. Insects can not grow their exoskeleton and membranes larger once they have reached their full size. They physically can not create new membrane. That is why an insect does not ever fully heal from an injury. They can only use their own dried hemolymph to prevent more blood loss and infection, because they can’t create new membrane to repair themselves.
  • Rstheant likes this

#206 Offline FSTP - Posted December 18 2018 - 7:19 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Now you are speaking in generalities. I'm not speaking about some random street insect as you are. I'm specificly speaking about Mymecocystus spp. that have adapted to swell to these sizes. if the membrane was just folded up in-between the tergal/sternal plates  you would expect repletes that have been drained to be able to shape their gaster to its smaller size. However they can't the membranous tissue just sags. Because the interconnecting membrane has stretched far beyond the original size when the ant was not functioning as a replete.

Edit: Perhaps if you want to continue this disscussion, start another thread. I don't want to flood Drews great journal with a constant back and forth.

Edited by FSTP, December 18 2018 - 8:22 PM.

• dspdrew, LC3, Canadian anter and 1 other like this

#207 Offline Rstheant - Posted December 19 2018 - 3:24 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I agree :)

#208 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted December 24 2018 - 9:45 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Are these bigger/smaller than Myrmecocystus testaceus, and by how much? I really want some larger pots so looking for a suitable species...

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#209 Offline nurbs - Posted December 24 2018 - 10:14 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Mexicanus are the largest honeypots in CA, probably the largest honeypots ever. They look just like N. navajo, but bigger.

Are these bigger/smaller than Myrmecocystus testaceus, and by how much? I really want some larger pots so looking for a suitable species...

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#210 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted December 24 2018 - 11:42 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Okay, thanks. How do Myrmecocystus testaceus measure up against these and navajos? Only pots we got up here other than those ellusive mimicus that no one can find queens of...

#211 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 25 2018 - 6:31 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The worker size for mature colonies generally goes like this: M. navajo < M. testaceus < M. mexicanus. Some can be pretty close in size sometimes though.

• YsTheAnt likes this

#212 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted December 25 2018 - 9:22 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Exactly what I needed. Thank you!

#213 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 21 2019 - 2:21 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

• FSTP and ryanp347 like this

#214 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted March 5 2019 - 5:42 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Where did you get the Scorpion?

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#215 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 5 2019 - 6:28 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Desert.

#216 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 5 2019 - 6:47 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Where else would he get it!? Oh wait, his backyard! He must have a lot of ants! Well duh!!

:rofl:

#217 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted March 5 2019 - 6:50 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Desert.

Was it your pet or something?

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#218 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 5 2019 - 6:54 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Yes it was his pet. He has a off topic journal about it.

#219 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 20 2019 - 4:10 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Update?

#220 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 7 2019 - 10:06 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 11-7-2019

I still have both colonies, but the one in the vertical prototype formicarium is not doing well. It's been losing workers like crazy. I'm not sure what's going on, but every time I look at it, there is a pile of dead workers in the foraging area.

You can see piles of dead workers here. I've probably lost 75% of the colony by now. It's down to about 200 workers, and pretty much all the repletes are gone.

gallery_2_43_1086719.jpg

gallery_2_43_872705.jpg

I'm guessing maybe the black mold that has been growing inside the nest over the years might have something to do with it.

gallery_2_43_354303.jpg

Even though tons of workers are dying, the queen still continues to produce like crazy.

gallery_2_43_492342.jpg

For the first time with this colony, I decided to clean out the nest in hopes that this will stop the colony from dying.

I dumped them all in this tub while I cleaned the nest out.

gallery_2_43_595200.jpg

gallery_2_43_1122869.jpg

Here's the nest all cleaned up. The only thing left now are are few small permanent stains.

gallery_2_43_391907.jpg

While I was at it, I upgraded the foraging area by replacing the Hydrostone floor with the sand-covered resin I use in all my starter formicariums.

gallery_2_43_360837.jpg

I dumped the colony back into the formicarium, but the weird thing is it's been three days and they are still all sitting in the same place; none of them have moved back into the nest yet. :thinking: I'm thinking there might be something wrong with this colony. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

gallery_2_43_898775.jpg

gallery_2_43_809505.jpg

There is good news though. The biggest colony housed in the giant vase setup is producing like CRAZY again, and there are almost no deaths at all now.

Here are a few new pictures of them. You can see how perfectly clear the glass is on their chambers. At the moment a few had some condensation, but there is almost no dirt on them at all.

gallery_2_43_1178286.jpg

gallery_2_43_837315.jpg

gallery_2_43_681533.jpg

gallery_2_43_1857216.jpg

They keep all the cocoons in the top chamber just below the surface where it's dry.

gallery_2_43_822819.jpg

gallery_2_43_763253.jpg

gallery_2_43_761769.jpg

gallery_2_43_1004111.jpg

Way deep down you can find the queen.

gallery_2_43_680876.jpg

This is probably going to be a third personal colony of these I'll be keeping. It started as an experiment to see how deep the queen would dig, but I waited so long before putting her in here that she just didn't feel like digging much anymore. It took her days to finally dig a shallow nest. She survived though, and actually produced a lot of workers.

gallery_2_43_523159.jpg

Once the workers finally made their way out of the nest, the digging started. They now have dug a few chambers and have gone down pretty deep.

gallery_2_43_1385227.jpg

• Kalidas and Antennal_Scrobe like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmecocystus, dspdrew, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users