• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Miranda’s Pogonomyrmex occidentalis Journal

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mirandarachnid - Posted December 21 2023 - 9:37 PM

Mirandarachnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTX
My ants arrived today!

I ordered them from Antgear, along with the “ant den”, some dandelion seeds, and a liquid feeder (which didn’t seem to make it in the box, but hopefully they send that out soon).

I’m counting 9 workers so far, but it looks like there will be more fairly soon.

They’re so cute and little compared to the monster harvester ants we have around here, which I’m assuming are Pogonomyrmex barbatus.

I dumped them in the out world, and they moved into the nest within 7 hours or so.

I didn’t have time to make a liquid feeder for them, so I put a wet cotton ball on top of the rock in their outworld so that they would have some drinking water. Hopefully I get time to make a liquid feeder for them tomorrow.

(Also, I know the heat cable is not supposed to cross over itself, it was only like that momentarily.)

Attached Images

• D5458017-9748-4F5D-96DD-076A2DD162B0.jpeg
  • BB679A95-946C-40B9-B191-4F99849556B9.jpeg
  • B87C3D0C-B1EA-440F-A833-61FED45C4F0E.jpeg

• ANTdrew, rptraut, 100lols and 1 other like this
Never trust an isopod.

#2 Offline Invix - Posted December 21 2023 - 10:25 PM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Oh nice I’ll buy one too! Never heard of that website!
  • Mirandarachnid and 100lols like this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 22 2023 - 3:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nice setup there. You may want to fashion a cover for the nest part depending on how sensitive they are to light.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Mirandarachnid - Posted December 22 2023 - 6:37 AM

Mirandarachnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTX

Nice setup there. You may want to fashion a cover for the nest part depending on how sensitive they are to light.

I plan on making a little cardboard cover. For now I have a nip of fabric on top.

I’m thinking about a slightly larger outworld. If only so I can fit a liquid feeder for more reliable access to water.
  • rptraut and 100lols like this
Never trust an isopod.

#5 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 22 2023 - 8:09 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
any type of pogonomyrmex is fascinating! can’t wait to see this colony rise!
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some lasius in the future.

#6 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 22 2023 - 8:22 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
I can't wait to see this colony grow. Hope they do well!
  • Mirandarachnid, rptraut and 100lols like this

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#7 Offline 100lols - Posted December 22 2023 - 4:31 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
The issue with my Pogonomyrmex is they all drain their water in liquid feeders using dirt!
  • Mirandarachnid likes this

#8 Offline Mirandarachnid - Posted December 22 2023 - 5:26 PM

Mirandarachnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTX

The issue with my Pogonomyrmex is they all drain their water in liquid feeders using dirt!

Hopefully I get a chance to make them a liquid feeder after the youngest ant enthusiast in the house goes to sleep.
Never trust an isopod.

#9 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted December 23 2023 - 8:33 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Welcome on and i hope you enjoy ant keeping as much as i am.
I also keep pogonomyrmex occidentalis. Got my colony in March with about 28, and they are somewhere over 200, maybe close to 300+ now.

A few things i discovered:

1: Mine acclimate to whatever light/dark they get consistently. They live in top down view nests with no cover and near by overhead lighting for the outworlds. Maybe 50/50 medium lit / light shadows situation going on. With a day/night light timer, they don't freak out in the mornings when the "sun" comes on.

2: they seem to not like exposed water too near their nest and will commonly plug up or drain water dispensers. Far enough awawy from the nest they occasionally drain a water dispenser, maybe 1/10 or so. I had someone come by to check on their drinking water when i took a trip.

3: as creatures that see more by smell, if you can keep an open air outworld (fluon/anti-climb barrier) it will more likely convince them it is outside. Originally mine treated their outworld as nest. But it was outside to them, once i had enough outworld space/nest space ratio, and most importantly, it was open air top.

have fun.

• Mirandarachnid, rptraut and 100lols like this

#10 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 23 2023 - 1:30 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
I’ve tried pogonomyrmex before, but I didn’t have the tools I needed to replicate their habitat, so ultimately, they died.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some lasius in the future.

#11 Offline Mirandarachnid - Posted December 23 2023 - 9:41 PM

Mirandarachnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTX

I also keep pogonomyrmex occidentalis. Got my colony in March with about 28, and they are somewhere over 200, maybe close to 300+ now.

1: Mine acclimate to whatever light/dark they get consistently. They live in top down view nests with no cover and near by overhead lighting for the outworlds. Maybe 50/50 medium lit / light shadows situation going on. With a day/night light timer, they don't freak out in the mornings when the "sun" comes on.

2: they seem to not like exposed water too near their nest and will commonly plug up or drain water dispensers. Far enough awawy from the nest they occasionally drain a water dispenser, maybe 1/10 or so. I had someone come by to check on their drinking water when i took a trip.

3: as creatures that see more by smell, if you can keep an open air outworld (fluon/anti-climb barrier) it will more likely convince them it is outside. Originally mine treated their outworld as nest. But it was outside to them, once i had enough outworld space/nest space ratio, and most importantly, it was open air top.

have fun.

Thanks! I read through your entire journal while waiting for mine to arrive. I really enjoyed seeing the progression of your colony.

Mine seem to be doing well, they alternate between having the brood under the heat cable or right on top of the water reservoir. There is a new clutch of eggs that a worker is usually carrying around.

I gave them some ground flax, which they really appreciated. They don’t seem interested in the chia seeds at all. I’ve been making sure to keep the cotton ball in their outworld saturated, I really hope that’s good enough for drinking water for the time being. I should be able to make a liquid feeder for them tomorrow. They aren’t stashing seeds inside the nest at all, just bringing pieces in to feed the brood as needed.

They seem to have established a trash pile, and there’s one dead/crumpled up looking pupa that they keep moving back and forth between the trash pile and the nest.

One new worker has eclosed, it’s fairly large compared to the others but I noticed that another worker was giving one of it’s front legs a lot of attention, and then I realized that leg appears to be shorter than the others, causing it to stumble a bit when walking around.

I have a lovely acrylic box I’m going to use for their next outworld. It has a nice clear lid and I’m going to cut the middle out of it, leaving about a one inch lip. Hopefully I can start on that tomorrow as well. It depends on if I can convince my husband to bust out the scroll saw.
  • rptraut likes this
Never trust an isopod.

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 24 2023 - 4:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A wood burning tool with a blade attachment is the cheapest and easiest way to cut holes through acrylic. Do the melting outside, though! The rounded attachments work great for fusing mesh on to the acrylic as well. Mine cost me $15 at Hobby Lobby.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#13 Offline Mirandarachnid - Posted December 24 2023 - 7:32 AM

Mirandarachnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTX

A wood burning tool with a blade attachment is the cheapest and easiest way to cut holes through acrylic. Do the melting outside, though! The rounded attachments work great for fusing mesh on to the acrylic as well. Mine cost me $15 at Hobby Lobby.

Thanks for that. I love the idea of not having to use my kitchen to make water towers. What an elegant solution.
  • rptraut likes this
Never trust an isopod.

#14 Offline Mirandarachnid - Posted December 26 2023 - 9:07 PM

Mirandarachnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTX
A few workers have died in the last couple of days, but they were some of the smallest ones, so I’m assuming they were nanitics. It does worry me a bit. Although I’m counting 10-11 workers, so with new workers eclosing at least the number isn’t going down. I’m wondering if they need more heat? They’ve been consistently trying to get as close to the heat cable as possible, even crawling onto the ceiling of the nest and hanging out right under it. I think I’ll move their setup into a larger tank and arrange the heat cable in that to try and raise the ambient heat around the nest as well as having the heat cable on part of it.

I noticed that the dead workers were being fed to the larvae, so I gave them a bit of a superworm. They moved it a bit, but I’m not sure how much they were eating it. They rolled up some ground flax seed into ball and brought it into the nest, but they took it back into the outworld before long.

Their new outworld is about ready, I’m just waiting for the perfect cast I poured in the bottom to feel dry. The cotton ball was starting to mold where a seed was stuck to it, so I replaced it with a bit of saturated sphagnum moss. The liquid feeders should be here soon. They were supposed to arrive today but they’re running late.

I did see a couple of cool things though. I saw the queen lay an egg, and I’ve seen the workers jump!
Never trust an isopod.

#15 Offline Mirandarachnid - Posted December 27 2023 - 7:01 PM

Mirandarachnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTX
Okay, here’s the new heating setup. I have them in a 10 gallon tank with the heat cable draped over the walls. I moved the heat cable to a different spot of the nest to knock out the condensation that was forming, and after a couple of hours they hadn’t moved their brood to follow the heat like they were doing before, so they seem happier, temperature wise.

Attached Images

• IMG_8431.jpeg
  • IMG_8433.jpeg

• rptraut, 100lols and BleepingBleepers like this
Never trust an isopod.

#16 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 28 2023 - 8:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That will work very well.

#17 Offline Mirandarachnid - Posted December 28 2023 - 9:17 PM

Mirandarachnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTX
The liquid feeders arrived, and as soon as I put it in the outworld, they started filling it with sand.

I swapped in the new outworld and put the water as far as I could from the entrance to their nest so they will hopefully stop putting stuff in it.

I’m going to chill with the changes now and let them do their thing.

Attached Images

• IMG_8452.jpeg

• ANTdrew, rptraut, Full_Frontal_Yeti and 1 other like this
Never trust an isopod.

#18 Offline Mirandarachnid - Posted December 29 2023 - 9:07 PM

Mirandarachnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTX
They’ve been working on plugging up the nest entrance.

Attached Images

• IMG_8461.jpeg

• ANTdrew, rptraut, Full_Frontal_Yeti and 1 other like this
Never trust an isopod.

#19 Offline 100lols - Posted December 30 2023 - 10:01 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Awesome idea to use the heating cable in the 10 gal to raise their ambient temp. I’m noticing a lot more die offs in my Pogonomyrmex colonies with colder temperatures as well. Probably normal.

Let us know how your liquid feeder does in that setup… I’m using dirt box setups for my colonies so there is no hope for their liquid feeders imo.

Thanks for the updates!!!

#20 Offline Invix - Posted December 31 2023 - 5:38 PM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

have fun.

Thanks! I read through your entire journal while waiting for mine to arrive. I really enjoyed seeing the progression of your colony.

Mine seem to be doing well, they alternate between having the brood under the heat cable or right on top of the water reservoir. There is a new clutch of eggs that a worker is usually carrying around.

I gave them some ground flax, which they really appreciated. They don’t seem interested in the chia seeds at all. I’ve been making sure to keep the cotton ball in their outworld saturated, I really hope that’s good enough for drinking water for the time being. I should be able to make a liquid feeder for them tomorrow. They aren’t stashing seeds inside the nest at all, just bringing pieces in to feed the brood as needed.

They seem to have established a trash pile, and there’s one dead/crumpled up looking pupa that they keep moving back and forth between the trash pile and the nest.

One new worker has eclosed, it’s fairly large compared to the others but I noticed that another worker was giving one of it’s front legs a lot of attention, and then I realized that leg appears to be shorter than the others, causing it to stumble a bit when walking around.

I have a lovely acrylic box I’m going to use for their next outworld. It has a nice clear lid and I’m going to cut the middle out of it, leaving about a one inch lip. Hopefully I can start on that tomorrow as well. It depends on if I can convince my husband to bust out the scroll saw.

I think you should have the Pogonomyrmex in light for better viewing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users