This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
A day after I obtained these colonies, both queens laid more eggs, and today I see that one of them now has two new nanitics. The colony that had only one worker, now has three, and about five new eggs. The colony that had two workers, still has only two workers, but a pile of about 15 new eggs. I just recently fed them and now the queens' gasters are huge. Here's some new pictures I took.
I just noticed today that the two large workers in the 12 worker colony are actually their first two repletes; their gasters have been getting bigger and bigger every day. I guess I better start getting some sort of formicarium build for these guys soon. I'll try to get some photos later today.
The colony with the foraging container now has a little feeder bottle in there with humming bird nectar in it, so as you can imagine, there are now tons of repletes all blown up like big red balloons. The other colony was still in just a test tube until yesterday, when I put them into the out world of a small rough prototype of a formicarium I've been in the process of designing. Now I'm just waiting for them to move into it. Today I moved them right underneath the same bright lights my Pogonomyrmex containers are under, to hopefully encourage them to move. I'll have another update once they get moved in.
Edit: I wanted to speed things along, so I just dumped everything out of the test tube and into the out world. It didn't take long for them to decide the best place to stash all the brood was down in the nest. Once all the brood was in there, they started dragging the queen in (shown in the first video below). Unfortunately, I think I may have damaged the replete in the process. I noticed the next day that the workers completely drained it; hopefully she'll survive.
The workers were pretty anxious to get the queen down into their new nest. Once they had finished moving all the brood in there, they started dragging her in. You can see it just a little ways into this video, it's kind of funny.
The workers taking good care of their queen and brood once in the new nest.