• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ferox's Pseudomyrmex ejectus Journal (Updated June 5th, 2019)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 4 2019 - 5:01 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I have a reputation on this forum to being dedicated to catching ants, but this time, I took that to the extreme. In my backyard, there's a good sized Red Maple Tree that I've seen Pseudomyrmex ejectus foraging on. I wanted to see if I could find any nests, so I started climbing. I climbed up about 50 feet until I finally found a dead twig. I cracked it open and inside was a nest of Pseudomyrmex ejectus. I descended down the tree once I realized that I had sliced open my knee somehow. On the way down, about 20 feet up, I got my foot stuck, and I could not get it out. I struggle for about 20 minutes, and I finally realized that I just needed to climb back up and drop out of the tree, so I did. I took the ants back to my porch to collect them, and I saw lots of alate brood and even an alate male! And I actually finally got the queen! I haven't gotten them into a proper setup as of yet, but I will get one soon. I plan on setting them up in a paludarium setup, along with my Cephalotes varians once I obtain them in a few weeks. Updates coming soon.

Edited by Ferox_Formicae, June 5 2019 - 4:20 AM.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline Leo - Posted June 4 2019 - 5:19 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

why?

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 4 2019 - 5:21 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

why?

Because I'm insane and I love climbing trees. :lol:

• VenomousBeast likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 4 2019 - 5:23 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

why?

Because I'm insane and I love climbing trees. :lol:

:lol:
  • Ferox_Formicae likes this

Spoiler

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 4 2019 - 5:59 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Absolute insanity. :lol:

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 4 2019 - 6:23 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Extremely insane. :lol:

#7 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 4 2019 - 6:40 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Extremely insane. :lol:

Yeah. :lol:

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#8 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 4 2019 - 9:34 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

BREAKING NEWS: Local resident breaks into house and tears up floorboards. Home owner moves after cost of damage amounting to several hundreds of thousands of dollars. Perpetrator says he was only collecting ants of the genus Camponotus. The offending individual already has a crime record of digging on private property and breaking into a jail cell, all in his insane quest for ants.

• TennesseeAnts and Ferox_Formicae like this

#9 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 4 2019 - 9:51 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

BREAKING NEWS: Local resident breaks into house and tears up floorboards. Home owner moves after cost of damage amounting to several hundreds of thousands of dollars. Perpetrator says he was only collecting ants of the genus Camponotus. The offending individual already has a crime record of digging on private property and breaking into a jail cell, all in his insane quest for ants.

Well then... :lol:

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#10 Offline ForestDragon - Posted June 4 2019 - 10:04 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

bro ur nuts

#11 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 4 2019 - 10:26 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

bro ur nuts

I mean, I just climbed up a tree. I'm good at climbing.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#12 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 4 2019 - 3:07 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Fifty feet up! You could have died! :boohoo: :sore: %) 

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#13 Offline Acutus - Posted June 4 2019 - 3:16 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

THIS

I descended down the tree once I realized that I had sliced open my knee somehow. On the way down, about 20 feet up, I got my foot stuck, and I could not get it out. I struggle for about 20 minutes, and I finally realized that I just needed to climb back up and drop out of the tree, 

Along with this

started to climb, slowly and painfully. I finally got to the first limb and grappled onto it as tight as I could. I had completely run out of strength at that point, so I decided to let go. I fell down with a crash to the forest floor, breathing heavily. After a few minutes of rebuilding my strength, I was ready to try again, so I did. 

Yeah good at climbing!! LOL! Maybe good at falling!! :D

I'm just teasing of course! :D

I can't think of an ant species I'm gonna do any of that for. :D There probably is one, maybe a A. tennesseensis Queen.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#14 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 4 2019 - 4:29 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I would 100% do this for a colony of Colobopsis impressa.

#15 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 4 2019 - 6:45 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

THIS

I descended down the tree once I realized that I had sliced open my knee somehow. On the way down, about 20 feet up, I got my foot stuck, and I could not get it out. I struggle for about 20 minutes, and I finally realized that I just needed to climb back up and drop out of the tree, 

Along with this

started to climb, slowly and painfully. I finally got to the first limb and grappled onto it as tight as I could. I had completely run out of strength at that point, so I decided to let go. I fell down with a crash to the forest floor, breathing heavily. After a few minutes of rebuilding my strength, I was ready to try again, so I did. 

Yeah good at climbing!! LOL! Maybe good at falling!! :D

I'm just teasing of course! :D

I can't think of an ant species I'm gonna do any of that for. :D There probably is one, maybe a A. tennesseensis Queen.

What about Cephalotes if you went to Texas, Arizona, or Florida? I'd do that for sure when I go to Florida in two weeks!

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#16 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 4 2019 - 6:46 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Fifty feet up! You could have died! :boohoo: :sore: %)

Yup, I could've, but I consider myself an expert tree climber (I'm really not though...) :lol:

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#17 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 5 2019 - 4:19 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

They ate the male...

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#18 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 19 2019 - 8:31 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Update?