• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A few ants from Europe

formica lasius myrmica camponotus dolichoderus

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted June 11 2015 - 7:57 PM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

I think most of the Tetramorium are underrepresented, because of their hidden way of living.

Here in CO, the Tetramorium cf. caespitum colonies are immense.  A CSU entomologist told me that a study (by one of his students, I believe) found individual colonies to be comprised of over 100,000 workers but typically only one queen.  In the spring, they build relatively conspicuous mound systems, although these tend not to last long.

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#22 Offline cpman - Posted June 19 2015 - 7:36 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

However, lasius only is found in colder weather. I bet a person in Texas has never seen lasius.

Texas has 2 native Lasius. One is found only in the panhandle, and the other ins in the desert west.

Anyway, I was just near this location in Europe on a trip. I went to the Eagle's Nest, and there were some red queen ants with really large heads flying around up there. They were around 10 mm. My guess was they were parasitic Lasius. That part of Europe is awesome.

#23 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted July 1 2015 - 1:03 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

The fist ones are parasitic, L fuliginosus and L umbratus

lasius-france-identification.jpg

• Myrmicinae and James C. Trager like this

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#24 Offline James C. Trager - Posted July 1 2015 - 5:45 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

There is no reason to doubt Miles's Lasius observations from Arizona. As stated, he was in the presence of three professional myrmecologists, and just as importantly, was up in the mountains, where a temperate rather than a desert ant fauna occurs.

A quick look at Ant Web's Arizona Ants list 19(!) species of Lasius recorded from the state. The Ant Web Texas page records 5 species from that state. These are found only in the sparsely settled northern prairie and western mountain and high desert parts of Texas. Also, most are subterranean, so not likely to be encountered by a casual, urban observer.

Also, as for Lasius "everywhere" in Europe, it's similar to the US situation, with Lasius common and evident in the north and at higher elevations in the south, but generally much less evident at the lower and hotter parts in the Mediterranean Region, where a more thermophilous (heat-loving) fauna prevails.

• Myrmicinae likes this

#25 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 1 2015 - 7:31 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Interesting I had no idea Lasius was present in such hot climates. Do they still enter diapause?

#26 Offline LC3 - Posted July 1 2015 - 12:13 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Parasitic Lasius look like a mix between Camponotus and Lasius. XP 

What about L. Platythorax and L. aliensus sister species of L.niger ?

#27 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted July 1 2015 - 2:06 PM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

The fist ones are parasitic, L fuliginosus and L umbratus

Great diagram!  Thanks for sharing.  Do you know whether L. neglectus are continuing to expand their range?  Have they shown any invasiveness in undisturbed ecosystems?  I haven't heard much on this species for a few years.

Edited by Myrmicinae, July 1 2015 - 2:07 PM.

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#28 Offline cpman - Posted July 1 2015 - 2:08 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

For what it is worth, the species up by the Eagle's Nest looked like the L. umbratus in that chart, only more reddish.

Edited by cpman, July 1 2015 - 2:09 PM.

#29 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted July 2 2015 - 1:29 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
@cpman
That's true, some near related species often look very similar.

@Myrmicinae
L neglectus is so highly invasive, because it is extremely polygyn and it tends to build supercolonies.

#30 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted July 2 2015 - 2:31 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Great diagram! 

Yes, they are amazing. Here's the one for Camponotus http://antsmania.com...rance-photo.jpg and Formica http://www.lamarabun...viformicass.jpg

Edited by Jonathan21700, July 2 2015 - 2:34 AM.

#31 Offline James C. Trager - Posted July 5 2015 - 7:08 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

In all the southern outposts of Lasius, winter time soil temperatures are quite cool, and the ants do enter diapause, though of shorter duration than in colder climes. 

#32 Offline Barristan - Posted July 7 2015 - 9:04 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Today there has been a Lasius niger nuptial flight. I collected 16 wingless queens (13 in my garden):

IMG_4616.jpg

You just have to walk for few meters and you'll find another one walking around. They are really very common here in Germany.

I coudn't find any Tetramorium queen yet here...

Not all Lasius niger queens survived long enough to found a new colony. Some died shortly after landing on the hot stones. Tetramorium sp. are now feeding on the dead queens:

IMG_4620.jpg IMG_4633.jpg IMG_4640.jpg

Edited by Barristan, July 7 2015 - 10:14 AM.

• Diffeomorphismus and LC3 like this

#33 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 8 2015 - 10:02 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Awesome pictures.

#34 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 22 2015 - 4:10 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Actually in Europe right now for a visit. So far I have seen Lasius Niger, Aphaenogaster sp. giant Formica rufa mounds and trails (favorite ants, there where of thousands all over), and a parasitic Lasius so. Infiltrating a nest with a worker in her mandibles, trying to mask her smell.

#35 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted July 22 2015 - 9:24 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Actually in Europe right now for a visit. So far I have seen Lasius Niger, Aphaenogaster sp. giant Formica rufa mounds and trails (favorite ants, there where of thousands all over), and a parasitic Lasius so. Infiltrating a nest with a worker in her mandibles, trying to mask her smell

Are you sure about the Aphenogaster sp? Were they found in Southern Europe?

#36 Offline Diffeomorphismus - Posted July 22 2015 - 10:02 AM

Diffeomorphismus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGermany

You can also find Aphaenogaster in Northern Europe. For example A. subterranea in Germany.

#37 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted July 22 2015 - 10:58 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Yes but they are not very common or maybe not commonly encountered as they are subterranean.

Edited by Jonathan21700, July 22 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#38 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted July 23 2015 - 4:29 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Maybe these "Aphaenogaster" are Myrmica sp. There are several species of these and they are very common. Some look a bit more like Aphaenogaster.

Edit:

Yes, at this time, a lot of Lasius are flying, also the parasitic ones like Lasius umbratus.

Edited by Trailandstreet, July 23 2015 - 4:30 AM.

#39 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 23 2015 - 7:23 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I'm pretty sure they where aphaenogaster. I saw Myrmica as well. I am in Estonia.

#40 Offline Diffeomorphismus - Posted July 23 2015 - 8:51 AM

Diffeomorphismus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGermany

AntWiki says that there are no Aphaenogaster species in Estonia: http://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Estonia

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica, lasius, myrmica, camponotus, dolichoderus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users