• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Antkit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 7 2015 - 6:35 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

So I was looking on youtube, when I discovered this gem. It is basically a simple stater formicarium made out of ytong. It looks really clean and neat.

The only think is that 1. The company is re-opening July first. 2. The nests will cost over $30. That is pretty cheap, however these are also based in the U.K. so shipping will cost a fortune.  

I am sort of tired of spending $30 for the cheapest founding nest. I think from now on I am going to start making some nests a bit like this. Of coarse I don't want to copy their design, but I will try to make some nest and outworld all in ones. If it goes well I am thinking about selling some for about $20 or so. They would be pretty cheap to make, and I believe I have a local place that sells some nest materials such as firebrick or ytong. It would be pretty easy to carve it with a dremel, then make an outworld and hydration chamber. Seems pretty easy, the hardest part would be aquiring materials.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 7 2015 - 8:30 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Notwithstanding the questionable business strategy, byFormica provides raw materials, prototypes, and advice throughout the product design phase and beyond, fully supporting all types of makers and creatives who aim to innovate and make things for antkeepers.

All one needs to do to get started is fully document his or her work at http://www.byformica.com by creating new articles for his or her projects.

To create a new article:

After creating an account on byFormica.com, the user navigates to http://www.byformica.com/Article_Name, where "Article Name" is replaced by the name of your project.  At the top of the page, you have the option to "Create" an article of that name.  The editor will appear, and you will be able to document your project within the article.

Articles are written with wiki markup language.  To learn more about wiki markup, click the "Edit" button at the top of any byFormica article page to view how it is marked up (as an example), or view Wikipedia's help page on the topic.

Minimum article content:

At minimum, each project article should document a "Problem" and "Solution" to the stated problem.  See this article, or this other article, as an example.

What creators can expect:

Work documented on byFormica.com undergoes a critical review process where the creator must refine his or her idea and overcome any challenges or objections by the byFormica community and staff.

After this, promising projects with responsive and determined creators may receive additional investment by byFormica to expand upon their work.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 7 2015 - 8:54 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I wouldn't think that it would go well with your module - 3d printing business. I doubt you would stoop down to use something as basic as ytong...

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 7 2015 - 9:07 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Parastatic did what you're talking of doing with his business, Ant-topia, and I offered to work with him. He accepted my offer, but his interest in continuing his business fizzled after his first lot sold out.

There is nothing wrong with subtractive manufacturing, which would include carving into any type of material. There are plenty of innovations that could be made, assuming someone is willing to work hard and experiment. I support all types of innovation, not just 3D printing.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 7 2015 - 9:17 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 7 2015 - 9:42 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

I'm still in the design stages, including an interesting hydration concept. I might publish the designs on the wiki page if I figure them out.

Edited by Ants4fun, June 7 2015 - 6:17 PM.

#6 Offline dermy - Posted June 7 2015 - 1:07 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Ah antkit I know the guy who made it and everything, he used to be one of my best ant friends on an old forum but I lost touch with him after some chaos. I remember day one of his business.

His username used to be ZoomZoomLuke just in case anyone knows who I am talking about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users