• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Grout v. Hydrostone

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BrittonLS - Posted May 31 2015 - 11:54 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

So, I'm trying to look into building a formicarium for the future, or perhaps a fancier founding chamber for my recent queens. I like the sound of plaster, but it sounds like the S.invicta I have will chew through it and I'd be surprised if Pogonomyrmex couldn't either, which is a species I'm hoping to grab. 

So, what's the difference between hydrostone and grout? I know there are different types of grout too, according to a forum here it said unsanded grout absorbs water a lot easier. But I've also seen people mixing crushed perlite with grout to make it more water absorbent but others not doing that at all. It seems when it's just a layer of grout, like putting it on a plastic nest.

So, grout probably doesn't need perlite if it's just a small layer of it?

I also heard hydrostone expanding. Does this happen when it absorbs water? Or when it's curing? 

Any other information as far as these two materials go?

Also, say I just want to lay a layer of substrate, basically just glue a coating of sand along a surface as thinly as possible, what would you use to do that?

#2 Offline BrittonLS - Posted May 31 2015 - 9:08 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Ok, now I'm REALLY confused. If hydrostone is gypsum, what's the difference between hydrostone and plaster of paris? Does hydrostone create bubbles I guess? Why would it be harder? OmigoshImjustusinggroutwhatever

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 31 2015 - 9:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hydrostone is plaster with a small percentage of portland cement added. It expands when it cures.

#4 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted June 1 2015 - 8:26 AM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Grout also requires longer to cure before ants can be moved into it.

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#5 Offline BrittonLS - Posted June 1 2015 - 1:38 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Could I mix plaster and cement then to make my own? I should probably just do grout shouldn't I.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 1 2015 - 5:58 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hydrostone is:

>95% Plaster of Paris (Calcium Sulfate Hemihydrate)
<5%   Portland Cement
<1%   Titanium dioxide

I don't think it's just a matter of mixing the ingredients together.

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 1 2015 - 6:05 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Correct.  Particle size matters.  Many raw ingredients are not of a uniform and fine enough particle size to mix properly so the final product is uniformly strong.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted June 2 2015 - 2:52 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

A small percentage of plaster in cement causes a fast curing, but a higher percantagee leeds to lower stability.

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users