• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Species Journal

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dermy - Posted October 26 2015 - 12:57 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Well this is some sad news, the queen is slowly dying right now, I'm trying my best to keep her alive, but she has no brood left and is just curling up.

This is why I never try to keep Camponotus I can never get a colony going :|

#22 Offline dermy - Posted October 31 2015 - 1:49 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Yes I saved her somehow :) But no brood :|

#23 Offline Crystals - Posted October 31 2015 - 2:49 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Dermy, since I know you are as far north as me, feed her well with sugar water and a piece of mealworm for a couple of days, move her to a fresh test tube and then hibernate her.  Also go for a walk in the woods and find 1-4 adult workers and stick them in a different test tube, feed them with sugar water and hibernate them.

In 5 months bring them both out of hibernation, feed them well with sugar water and mealworm.  After a week, introduce the workers one at a time to the lone queen.  Our Camponotus will adopt a workerless queen if the workers have not had one for at least 4 months.  If the queen passes away, just collect a new queen when they fly in late May.

I have tested this over a dozen times with Camponotus herculeanus, and as long as the workers have not had a queen for at least 4 months they will accept any workerless queen.

• dermy likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#24 Offline dermy - Posted October 31 2015 - 4:48 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Thanks for the advice Crystals, If she doesn't survive [i know it's cheating but still] in the Spring I will get more queens but boost them in the summer with brood from other Colonies [probably from my grandma's house] since after a few years of trying it's time to cheat :P

#25 Offline Mdrogun - Posted October 31 2015 - 7:02 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I never understand how people have such a hard time with Camponotus. My colony's were super easy. In fact I probably neglected them and they were still successful.

Edited by Mdrogun, October 31 2015 - 7:02 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#26 Offline dermy - Posted November 1 2015 - 2:49 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

It's just me I have the worst luck in the whole world with everything, not just ants :P .

#27 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 1 2015 - 11:15 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

If you catch a queen next year, you should try getting some pupae. you don't need many maybe 5. I found that this gives them a much better chance. I had a queen who produced nothing for two months. i gave her 1 pupae wthin a month of the worker exlosing, she had about 10 large larvae and smaller brood of her own. I then sold her but the guy said she was very successful.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#28 Offline dermy - Posted November 2 2015 - 7:38 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Thanks That is what I will do then :D

#29 Offline dermy - Posted January 19 2016 - 1:04 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Just thought I'd post a small update, she is still alive and is currently in Hibernation, I'm hoping I can brood boost her in the next year to come. Or at least get lots more queens :D

#30 Offline antmaniac - Posted January 19 2016 - 2:44 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Brood boost definitely helps, it really make the founding stage much easier. I find digging for pupae after rain is the best method and good success rate.

#31 Offline dermy - Posted February 8 2016 - 4:02 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Brood boost definitely helps, it really make the founding stage much easier. I find digging for pupae after rain is the best method and good success rate.

Wow sorry Didn't even notice your reply :|

Yeah digging when it's nice and soft but not "soaking" works pretty good. if only I could find some Colonies around me [I'll have to go to my grandmas and steal some brood from her yard :P ]

The queen is still well by the way :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users