• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Discuss: Ant Mead (A high-receptivity, complex carb diet)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 29 2015 - 8:01 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

People often see ants feeding on human garbage juices and other waste.  These ants generally have huge colonies, and the waste seems to reinforce their growth.

I have discovered that all the ants I tested are strongly attracted to a fermented beverage consisting of a special type of honey and a special type of sugar mixed to a specific water ratio.  This was an accidental discovery, and I am recreating the conditions to produce a small batch that should be available for sale in a few weeks.

In the months I have used this product:

• My Camponotus colony has rebounded from producing no larvae, to now having over 50 larvae and some pupae, full of the green liquid (I killed only a single roach nymph for them during this time, and that was only after I noticed they had the tons of brood which had been previously hidden)
  • A Lasius has tripled in population, with about 75 pupae ready to eclose in 7-10 days (again, with very little protein added)
  • A wild-caught Pheidole colony has produced alates (but are still strongly attracted to protein sources).

My hypothesis is that ants that have adapted to heavily tend aphids and other sap-sucking insects, will fare extremely well with this diet.

For now, I am calling the product "Ant Mead," but the name may change.

Feel free to discuss below.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 29 2015 - 12:09 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline AntsNY - Posted May 29 2015 - 8:15 AM

AntsNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

That is a innovative idea. I like the name!

drunk_ant_test_1848225.jpg

• drtrmiller likes this

#3 Offline Miles - Posted May 29 2015 - 11:59 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Do you have any additional notes about the receptivity of the ants to the liquid? Also, I'd be interested in any literature pertaining to an attraction by ants towards a sweet, fermented liquid. 

Are there other factors (variables) that could have had an effect on the significant population increases you observed?

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 29 2015 - 12:03 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

When I originally made the mixture, it received a lukewarm reception.  As time went on, the aroma became more fruity and pungent, and the ants seemed to be increasingly attracted to it.

Considering I fed the ants almost no insects during this time, the only other factor would be environmental—the average temperature has been warmer.

I'll be looking for literature of my own to support my findings, once I have successfully recreated the mixture.  Similar to the first fresh batch, the new, unfermented batch, is received mildly compared to the fermented one.  I seeded the new one with what remained of the fermented one, so I could keep any good organisms.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 29 2015 - 12:04 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted May 29 2015 - 12:28 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
Sounds very interesting, I'll follow with interest!

As for my experience with the carbohydrate portion of my colonies' diet, I've found my Camponotus tend to become bored or picky when fed the same type of mixture longer than a week or so, to the point were they would reject it. I switch it up with a honey mix one week, and a sugar solution the next, but I've still had issues where they've fasted from their carb diet for some time.

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 29 2015 - 12:33 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I've found my Camponotus tend to become bored or picky when fed the same type of mixture longer than a week or so, to the point were they would reject it.

Many people like the idea of "set it and forget it" liquid feeders.  A gallon-sized liquid feeder is probably Drew's wet dream.

Me, on the other hand—I've had the most success by providing access to carbohydrates on and off, 2-3 times a week.  If I provide unrestricted access for one day, or even just a few hours, followed by 2-3 days of fasting, I get much better results than providing constant, ad libitum access to any single food.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 29 2015 - 12:33 PM.

#7 Offline Miles - Posted May 29 2015 - 12:34 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Me, on the other hand—I've had the most success by providing access to carbohydrates on and off, 2-3 times a week.  If I provide unrestricted access for one day, followed by 2-3 days of fasting, I get much better results than providing constant, ad libitum access to any single food.

I have had the same results. I find them very interesting, seeing as how some of the species I keep are also avid aphid farmers - there is little day-to-day variation in honeydew, and yet, they are always consuming it.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 29 2015 - 12:40 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I have had the same results. I find them very interesting, seeing as how some of the species I keep are also avid aphid farmers - there is little day-to-day variation in honeydew, and yet, they are always consuming it.

The answer is two-fold.  The honeydew not only often serves as a source of water, but also provides their favorite oligosaccharide, melezitose, a sugar only produced by aphids, and prohibitively expensive to synthesize.  

The honey I'm using may contain some level of melezitose, because it is partly derived from the excrement of sap-sucking insects, but I would need to perform a liquid chromatography test to know the material composition with any certainty.

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 1 2015 - 7:39 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Many people like the idea of "set it and forget it" liquid feeders.  A gallon-sized liquid feeder is probably Drew's wet dream.

That would be perfect. Let me know when you have one. :lol:

• BugFinder likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users