• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Subverted's Ants

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#161 Offline Superant33 - Posted April 30 2017 - 6:11 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I hate having to protect my ants from invasive species. I feel your pain. Your harvester ants are great. Keep up the good work.

#162 Offline klawfran3 - Posted April 30 2017 - 6:24 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Back in LA when I lived there we had a wild colony of Monomorium ergatogyna that was raiding the dogs food and destroying anything they could get their jaws on. It was really nervewracking with my tarantulas living a room over from them. All it takes is one scout...

I wonder if there's some sort of glass cabinet that can be easily rigged to store your invert pets while preventing ants from getting in there. Have you seen any more argentines after the raid or do  you believe they're gone?

Edited by klawfran3, April 30 2017 - 6:26 PM.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#163 Offline Subverted - Posted April 30 2017 - 6:34 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Back in LA when I lived there we had a wild colony of Monomorium ergatogyna that was raiding the dogs food and destroying anything they could get their jaws on. It was really nervewracking with my tarantulas living a room over from them. All it takes is one scout...
I wonder if there's some sort of glass cabinet that can be easily rigged to store your invert pets while preventing ants from getting in there. Have you seen any more argentines after the raid or do  you believe they're gone?

You should look up how Drew solved this problem. I'm not ready to take quite that dramatic a step...

The argentines are still around but I have been slowly trying to exterminate them in my yard with carefully applied pesticides...too bad I think there are still a few left in the walls.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#164 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted November 1 2017 - 2:24 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
How are your ants? Are they still alive?

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#165 Offline T.C. - Posted November 1 2017 - 10:20 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

He only had like one colony, (maybe) the last time I talked to him. Might be a while before we see him again. ;)
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#166 Offline dermy - Posted November 1 2017 - 11:09 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Subverted hasn't been on in a really long time. I have a feeling I know why but I don't feel like discussing it here, just thought I'd say something so you don't get too disappointed if he doesn't update this in a long while.

#167 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted November 2 2017 - 8:23 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
He was last on like two months ago...

Instagram          Journal           Shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users