• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Pogonomyrmex magnacanthus Journal [215] (Discontinued)

journal dspdrew pogonomyrmex magnacanthus glamis california harvester ants

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 23 2015 - 3:58 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
5-23-2015

I found 11 Pogonomyrmex magnacanthus queens May 16th 2015, in Glamis, California. Four of them I found running around, and five I dug out of founding chambers. The only founding chambers I found were in one little cluster, and were clearly there before the rain came through, because they were barely recognizable. I'm pretty sure the four I found wandering around were just out foraging since they're semi-claustral.

I gave two of them to Retroman in a trade. Two of them I have in regular test tube setups, and two are in test tube setups with sand added that I brought back from Glamis. The remaining three I put in three of my small ant farm boxes just today.

So far it's been one week, and only two of them have laid eggs. Both of the two that laid eggs only have about one or two.

med_gallery_2_406_513368.jpg

med_gallery_2_406_409817.jpg

med_gallery_2_406_642609.jpg

med_gallery_2_406_418814.jpg

med_gallery_2_406_375773.jpg
  • Jonathan21700 and Lamarr like this

#2 Offline Lamarr - Posted May 23 2015 - 9:07 AM

Lamarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Alabama

Very attractive looking species! How do you usually go about digging up the founding chambers for the queens?

#3 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted May 23 2015 - 9:46 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

That's one tiny Pogonomyrmex!

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 23 2015 - 9:46 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I just use a small shovel.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 31 2015 - 9:15 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 5-31-2015

These ants don't seem to settle in very well. Finally the three in the ant farm boxes have dug nests. They come out to forage a lot. The only eggs I see are in the bare test tubes. Each of those two queens have about five eggs.

#6 Offline Anhzor - Posted May 31 2015 - 9:59 PM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

I wonder if these can hybridnize with P cali.

#7 Offline Retroman - Posted June 5 2015 - 8:03 PM

Retroman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

So far, my two have collected Poppy and Chia seeds. 

#8 Offline Bardusquus - Posted June 7 2015 - 8:36 PM

Bardusquus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

tn_gallery_385_419_43275.png

Those are some nice ants you got there...Drew...

*Jealousy intensifies*

• dspdrew likes this

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 8 2015 - 6:12 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Thanks. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be doing very well.

#10 Offline AntsTexas - Posted June 13 2015 - 3:52 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

hey drew i'll trade u a Pogonomyrmex for a Myrmecocystus mimicus (found 2 today) :) lol....  heck i don't know my thinking is not good today lol

joking with drew, asking if he wanted a honey pot ant and he gives me a Pogonomyrmex.....  hope that makes sense %) :ugone2far:  :facepalm:

Edited by Ant Man, June 13 2015 - 5:07 PM.

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#11 Offline Alza - Posted June 13 2015 - 4:47 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

What kind of Pogonomyrmex's are we talking ? ill trade some 

#12 Offline AntsTexas - Posted June 13 2015 - 5:09 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

lol had some france dude on f/b email me wanting 2 buy one of my Myrmecocystus mimicus

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 14 2015 - 12:55 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 6-14-2015

I moved all but one of these queens into the ant farm boxes. Two have died now, leaving me with four in the boxes, and one in a a regular test tube setup. I do see a couple of them in the boxes have a small pile of eggs. The one in the test tube has always had a bunch of eggs, but they are scattered all over the place and not being taken care of.

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 16 2015 - 7:22 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 6-16-2015

I put the last test tubed queen into one of the ant farm boxes two days ago. She still hasn't dug a nest.

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 18 2015 - 11:45 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 6-19-2015

I decided to put eight Pogonomyrmex californicus pupae in with each of these queens to see if this helps. The first two i saw come out of their nests seem to think it's food.

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 20 2015 - 11:28 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 6-20-2015

So far three of these have taken the brood into their nests and seem to be taking care of it. Two of the pupae have already eclosed, giving two of these queens a worker now to help them out. Retroman has boosted his with P. californicus brood as well. Both of his queens have accepted their donated brood and now have adopted workers.

#17 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 22 2015 - 4:41 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 6-22-2015

Interestingly, the two queens that didn't accept the P. californicus brood have now died. The other three all have P. californicus workers now.

#18 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 11 2015 - 12:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 7-11-2015

First of all, today I found one of the queens dead. I saw it wandering around on the surface for a while yesterday, so I had a feeling it wasn't doing well.

The other two seem to be doing well though. Last week I noticed they all had eggs. One of them had a pretty good sized pile.

med_gallery_2_406_209763.jpg

med_gallery_2_406_446915.jpg

Just today I noticed they all have larvae now. As for the doomed colony, I gave its only larvae I could get a hold of to one of the other colonies. Luckily it didn't have a whole lot. Of the two remaining colonies, the one with the least brood also seems have the most developed larvae.

med_gallery_2_406_182255.jpg

med_gallery_2_406_251134.jpg
  • LC3 likes this

#19 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 24 2015 - 1:47 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 7-24-2015

One of the remaining colonies lost their queen. I found her dead and ripped to pieces on the surface. Thanks to the holes I put in the bottoms of my dirt boxes, I was able to shake all the larvae out so I could give it to my other colony after inspecting it for any mites.

#20 Offline Herdo - Posted July 25 2015 - 6:55 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona
Wow, sorry to hear that. Are Pogonomyrmex difficult to raise?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal, dspdrew, pogonomyrmex magnacanthus, glamis, california, harvester ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users