• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Question for Ants Canada

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 20 2015 - 12:52 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Do car or camera manufacturers provide blueprints for their products? I don't think so. Because they want to sell their own spare parts and accessories for their products. All third party products for these products are based on reverse engineering.

In case of software it is different. The more apps run on a smartphone or other operating system the more copies the vendor will sell.

You're right.  Automotive companies generally have tons of first-party parts, however.  Third-party or aftermarket parts would compete directly with the auto company.  

To my knowledge, however, AC has no competitive interest in discouraging a connector or bridge to another company's complementing product, be it a foraging area, nest, whatever.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 20 2015 - 12:52 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#22 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 20 2015 - 12:52 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Holy [censored] he charges $25 for shipping that thing.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#23 Offline Mercutia - Posted May 20 2015 - 1:00 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

5. You should be able to answer challenges to a viewpoint, if you are putting viewpoints out there. If you only want yes men on this forum, then I need to verify with the forum owners what this forum is all about.

No matter what Terry wants, it has nothing to do with what this forum is about. The forum is neutral, and everyone is welcome to post here as long as they follow the rules. We have made this pretty clear.

• Ants4fun, Tspivey16, dermy and 4 others like this

#24 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 20 2015 - 1:36 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I almost patented a temporary light strand. I used to be an electrician. It was going to cost around 10 grand. If someone changed any part of my design by 10% it was theirs free and clear. That wasn't very comforting to me. So I opted out and saved my 10 grand. I don't know everything about patents but they told me literally it can be a sketch with a date and that's all it takes to prove you came up with an idea first. It seems like a nightmare even when it's something very unique. And even if something is found to be in violation of a patent would it be worth fighting over in court? That can get very expensive too! Just my opinion.

I don't think we should really let this discussion devolve into an argument for or against intellectual property protections.  

As a final word on the matter, let me just add that the underlying philosophy is that companies that invest in IP rights generally do so with far greater ambitions than simply owning that design.  For example, patent portfolios become critically important when one wishes to sell a company.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 20 2015 - 1:38 PM.

• BugFinder likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#25 Offline Lamarr - Posted May 21 2015 - 1:40 AM

Lamarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Alabama

5. You should be able to answer challenges to a viewpoint, if you are putting viewpoints out there. If you only want yes men on this forum, then I need to verify with the forum owners what this forum is all about.

No matter what Terry wants, it has nothing to do with what this forum is about. The forum is neutral, and everyone is welcome to post here as long as they follow the rules. We have made this pretty clear.

Interpret this as however you wish, but being neutral doesn't always mean inaction. There also should be an effort to keep the forum as neutral as possible.

Edited by Lamarr, May 21 2015 - 2:24 AM.

• Miles likes this

#26 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 21 2015 - 4:22 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I'd like to remind everyone that this topic was started to publicly invite cooperation between two private companies, and for the public to reimagine the possibilities that would exist in a world where people work together, instead of trying to put up walls or drive each other apart.

While all respectful opinions are welcome on this forum, those who feel strongly about engaging in off-topic digressions or debates would be better off relegating their views to a new topic.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 21 2015 - 4:43 AM.

#27 Offline Mercutia - Posted May 21 2015 - 11:42 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Interpret this as however you wish, but being neutral doesn't always mean inaction. There also should be an effort to keep the forum as neutral as possible.

It is not our job as moderators to police peoples opinions being shared so that the playing field for anyone is "even". The effort to keep the forum as neutral as possible relies on the members of the forum, not us. If one party that feels like its been "attacked" does not stand up for themselves or respond, the conversation skews to flatter the other party. It is not our jobs as mods or admins to change that fact, that responsibility relies on those parties.

We are not here to silence opinions or "level the playing field". We are here only to make sure the rules of the forum are being followed and we will not silence discussion just because one party feels the conversation is no longer "neutral".

We don't make things even. We make things so both parties have the opportunity to be heard. That is all.

#28 Offline Tspivey16 - Posted May 21 2015 - 12:28 PM

Tspivey16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

It is not our job as moderators to police peoples opinions being shared so that the playing field for anyone is "even". The effort to keep the forum as neutral as possible relies on the members of the forum, not us. If one party that feels like its been "attacked" does not stand up for themselves or respond, the conversation skews to flatter the other party. It is not our jobs as mods or admins to change that fact, that responsibility relies on those parties.

We are not here to silence opinions or "level the playing field". We are here only to make sure the rules of the forum are being followed and we will not silence discussion just because one party feels the conversation is no longer "neutral".

We don't make things even. We make things so both parties have the opportunity to be heard. That is all.

I think the concern would be at what point do the Moderators think Rule 5 is crossed.

• Lamarr likes this

Current Colonies:

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis (50 Workers)

Formica subsericea (5+ Workers)

Tetramorium caespitum (50+ Workers)

Parastic Lasius (15 Accepted Host Workers)

Crematogaster cerasi (10 + Workers)

Temnothorax sp. (70 + workers)

#29 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 21 2015 - 12:38 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It is crossed when someone repeatedly spams or makes unwanted contact with another member of the forum. It really is hardly a necessary rule since there already exists a PM block function.

• AntTeen804 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users