• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Dspdrew's Subterranean Termites Journal (Discontinued)

desert subterranean termites dspdrew journal

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Ants4fun - Posted May 9 2015 - 9:01 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Will two termite colonies fight or merge?

#62 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 9 2015 - 9:07 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Don't know really. That's what I will probably find out, because I'm not about to try to fish the other one out first.

#63 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 19 2015 - 9:20 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

If they are still there, I'm going to try getting Formosan subterranean termites tomorrow. They are really cool, I kept them once before. Mine actually made a carton nest...which was really awesome. They are pretty much similar to native Subterranean termites, except they make carton nests and make mud towers.

I doubt they've disappeared, since its only been a year or so. But, there was a lot of Argentine ants in the area. And they never disappeared in any of the years I lived down in San Diego even with all the Argentine ants.

Edited by Vendayn, May 19 2015 - 9:24 PM.

#64 Offline Chromerust - Posted May 20 2015 - 6:36 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
Glad to hear they are doing good, I was worried you'd forget about them and accidently let the test tube dry out. It's interesting to learn the saw dust mixture is working that well.

#65 Offline Alza - Posted June 26 2015 - 12:44 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

They will fight.

• EstuaryAnts likes this

#66 Offline BrittonLS - Posted June 27 2015 - 8:08 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

Oh! These are what I found a nest of the other day when looking for ants! Nifty. 

#67 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 11 2015 - 5:37 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 7-11-2015

The colony I was keeping in that termitarium I built I think has died off. Every time I look under any of the wood, I never see a single termite.

The colony that I got from Chromerust died. I may have put too much water in it or something, because it looked like they all drowned.

As for the colonies in the test tubes and the cylinder containers, there are four left--two in the containers and two in test tubes.

One of the colonies in the test tubes has moved all the way to the other end where the only wet cotton is now. I see them walk back and forth between both ends. They live on one end and the wood is at the other end. Since  they just living in front of the cotton, it's very easy to view them.

Here's some pictures of that colony.

med_gallery_2_158_506792.jpg

med_gallery_2_158_147583.jpg

med_gallery_2_158_391309.jpg

med_gallery_2_158_284515.jpg
  • Gregory2455 and LC3 like this

#68 Offline Alza - Posted July 11 2015 - 9:09 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

A soldier! they look awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

• LC3 likes this

#69 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 13 2015 - 12:36 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I still have a pair from last year. :P They do not do anything, but occasionally I do see an egg. Maybe this year I could get some to produce what yours did!

#70 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 26 2015 - 12:36 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 9-26-2015

It looks like all these colonies have died off except the largest test tube colony. That colony is doing great. They have two new nymphs, and about 15 eggs. All the workers are filled with wood, so they're eating well. Their test tube was almost dry, so I manually moved them to a new one, carefully transferring all of their eggs too.

• Myrmicinae and dermy like this

#71 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 27 2015 - 1:25 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL
Is it possible to brood boost these with nymphs?

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#72 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 27 2015 - 8:57 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I have no idea.

#73 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 3 2016 - 12:58 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 2-3-2016

This colony is slowly getting larger. They're still in a test tube, still eating the same little piece of wood.

#74 Offline Alexant - Posted February 3 2016 - 7:47 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Do you know the species/genus?

#75 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 3 2016 - 11:43 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I do not.

#76 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 24 2016 - 12:05 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 4-24-2016

I moved this colony into a little hydrated setup I made with some old parts from my fungus-grower formicarium prototypes. This should make keeping them a lot easier, and unless they hide under any of the wood pieces, I should be able to get a better view of them. The container on the right is housing my drywood termite colony.

med_gallery_2_158_364218.jpg

med_gallery_2_158_568764.jpg

med_gallery_2_158_471119.jpg

med_gallery_2_158_532554.jpg
  • Myrmicinae likes this

#77 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 16 2016 - 10:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 5-16-2016

This new termitarium seems to have killed the whole colony. I'm not sure what happened.

#78 Offline JediPeaceFrog - Posted May 17 2016 - 12:43 AM

JediPeaceFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMontana

Update 4-24-2016

I moved this colony into a little hydrated setup I made with some old parts from my fungus-grower formicarium prototypes. This should make keeping them a lot easier, and unless they hide under any of the wood pieces, I should be able to get a better view of them. The container on the right is housing my drywood termite colony.

med_gallery_2_158_364218.jpg

med_gallery_2_158_568764.jpg

med_gallery_2_158_471119.jpg

med_gallery_2_158_532554.jpg

Sorry about losing your colony. I like this formicarium, though. Could you give me info on where you got the supplies? Thanks.

#79 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 17 2016 - 4:49 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It would all be in this thread (http://www.formicult...ated-4-22-2016/).

#80 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 23 2016 - 3:15 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 8-23-2016

There was a massive flight of desert subterranean termites the other day in Desert Center, California. I collected tons of them to use as feeders, but kept a few. I tried my best to pick out one male and female couple for each test tube I put them in. We'll see how many of them got paired up correctly. Back in 2013 when I first got a bunch of termites from the desert, the only ones that survived were a much smaller species. I hope I'm successful with this larger species this time.

med_gallery_2_158_498863.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: desert subterranean termites, dspdrew, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users