About three months ago, after putting all three containers in a very warm cabinet, i noticed the termites were no longer nesting on the bottoms. All the chambers and tunnels were empty. Even though they seem to like to nest on the very bottom of the containers, I did find one colony nesting in a chamber right in the middle of the dirt once, so that might be where all these have gone. In case the heat was not good for them, I moved them down under my sink.
Today I checked them, and didn't see any activity in two of the containers. The desert species on the other hand, were back in view and very active. They were nesting on the bottom of the container again, and there were a lot of them--probably well over 100 workers. I found a few of the rotted pieces of wood on top with quite a few termites in them, and tunnels leading down into their nest. I'm not sure, but it almost looked like the big chamber on the bottom was completely covered in eggs. Unfortunately if I tried to get pictures, it wouldn't look like anything really. I plan to move these into something that will allow good viewing so I can get some decent pictures.
As for the pair I had living in the test tube, they died.