• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Paludarium (Updated 10-12-2019)

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Miles - Posted March 3 2015 - 9:32 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Just go to where the creeks still have water in them.

Yeah... There isn't any of that around my area anymore, the drought hit this area hard. Closest I can think of is maybe somewhere up in the mountains by Castaic.

Given the hardship these animals are already going through, reducing wild populations doesn't sound very responsible to me.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#22 Offline Chromerust - Posted March 3 2015 - 10:20 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
Love that. Is one of those the little baby frog all grown up now?

#23 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 3 2015 - 11:14 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yeah... There isn't any of that around my area anymore, the drought hit this area hard. Closest I can think of is maybe somewhere up in the mountains by Castaic.

Given the hardship these animals are already going through, reducing wild populations doesn't sound very responsible to me.

I was only suggesting taking a few tadpoles, not that much. They are plentiful up by Castaic (the lake) and Piru, the other lake (two closest lakes to me) North of here.

#24 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 4 2015 - 5:29 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Love that. Is one of those the little baby frog all grown up now?

No. That was a Baja California Tree Frog. The ones in my paludarium are California Tree Frogs. California Tree Frogs look almost like little toads.

I was only suggesting taking a few tadpoles, not that much. They are plentiful up by Castaic (the lake) and Piru, the other lake (two closest lakes to me) North of here.

I think very, very few people keep native frogs as pets, so I think the overall impact on their population would be extremely small. If they were remotely threatened, California would definitely have them on their protected list.

#25 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 4 2015 - 5:06 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I think very, very few people keep native frogs as pets, so I think the overall impact on their population would be extremely small. If they were remotely threatened, California would definitely have them on their protected list.

California Toads are protected. Last time I checked, but still, that is just one species.

#26 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 4 2015 - 7:31 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

California tree frogs are supposed to be protected too, last I knew. From what my mom told me when we got a bunch of tadpoles, is they are on the federal protection list. Definitely no crossing the state lines with them or being caught by the park ranger. :P Or maybe that was for San Diego, but I'd assume that would be elsewhere too. Then again, its possible they were listed because the area was protected/a reserve. There were also spadefoot toads there that were/are protected and faerie shrimp which are actually protected too. Regular people didn't really care when they saw us. All the tadpoles were stuck in drying up rain puddles, so we saved a bunch.

With that said, there is TONS of frogs down by the river where I live. I'll be going out tomorrow and see if I can't find any tadpoles. I'll only keep three or four. But, frogs are super cute. :D They even learn to talk back to you if you can make the ribbit sound they make. :)

Edited by Vendayn, March 4 2015 - 7:32 PM.

#27 Offline kellakk - Posted March 4 2015 - 8:48 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

They are not protected and not likely to be impacted by a few hobbyists.  However, there is a law in California that only certain animals on their list are allowed to be collected, and only with a sport fishing license.  If you're interested in reading about it, here's a good breakdown of the law in terms of reptiles.

Of course, people collect things all the time illegally.  Just don't make a habit of it, don't take too many, don't release ones you've kept, and don't sell any.

• dspdrew likes this

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#28 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 19 2016 - 7:07 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
My paludarium is looking really nice these days. I'll get some pictures later. Right now i just wanted to post this picture i just took of one of my California treefrogs. This guy is unbelievably fat for a tree frog. I'm probably going to have to start taking him out when I try to feed the other one, because he almost always snatches the food before she does. I think there might be something wrong with him.

med_gallery_2_209_303714.jpg

#29 Offline Salmon - Posted September 7 2016 - 1:16 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
Is he calling and he has his vocal sac inflated, or is he just that fat...?

These are Pseudacris cadavrina, right?

Edited by Salmon, September 7 2016 - 4:46 PM.

#30 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 7 2016 - 5:02 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Is he calling and he has his vocal sac inflated, or is he just that fat...?

These are Pseudacris cadavrina, right?

Yeah, Pseudacris cadavrina. He was sick and has since died.

#31 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 8 2016 - 5:05 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

:(

That was a fun read, followed by funny and interesting videos...then sadness.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#32 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 8 2016 - 5:39 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'll get some new pictures of the whole thing. It's really cool looking now that I got some ground-cover plants growing in there. The moss is really growing nicely too.

#33 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 9 2016 - 4:59 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I've got a big tank still just sitting. It would be perfect if I constructed a vivarium like you've done. I'll put it on my project list but your deal really makes me think that I could do it rather easily. I don't know ....anything about...animals that live in that environment...but I did hydroponics for 4 years!

Really cool, Drew. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#34 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 9 2016 - 6:04 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It was a challenge making something like that in a tiny 10 gallon tank.

#35 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 9 2016 - 6:10 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Yeah, I bet. I'm not goin' for the small approach though as the spare fish tank I have looks like this one -> http://www.fishdr.net/_Portfolio42.jpg. I really don't know it's "size" but it's looking like a 50+ gallon kinda deal. It definitely provides the vertical factor that the actual 50 gal tank doesn't. It's definitely something for me to research a bit into before attempting, but until then it's fun to pretend and look at your stuff. 

#36 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 9 2016 - 6:31 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That would be cool. Whats fun is trying to mimic the conditions of a certain habitat, and getting it to start to actually come to life as its own little ecosystem of that type of habitat.

#37 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 9 2016 - 6:40 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Yeah! I was going to take some of those big jars with fip lids and make...what are those self contained ecosystems called. Ecosphere? ...ecojar! But alas it goes on the project list and is beat out by other things and gets bumped down. I'm thinking yours sparked my interest again to bump it up some. HOWEVER...as much as I sit here and type excitedly at the thought of working on a vivarium set up with a water fall and things.. I HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THE TETRAMORIUMS I've got this weekend before any other projects. Ugh. Get to work Heaton...

#38 Offline T.C. - Posted September 9 2016 - 9:28 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

i'm so jealous

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#39 Offline Enderz - Posted September 16 2016 - 10:41 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Wow, you seem like a very talented and smart guy!

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#40 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 17 2016 - 2:32 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

:lol:  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users