• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Dspdrew's Paludarium (Updated 11-11-2018)

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Zeiss - Posted June 27 2018 - 10:38 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley/Riverside, CA

Those have to be beetle eggs.  Backswimmer eggs are too long for that.  Those definitely aren't frog eggs.  I am certain they are beetle eggs.

#62 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted June 28 2018 - 7:58 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
The whirligig beetle looks more like a diving beetle since whirligigs have shorter back legs and longer front legs.

Edited by MegaMyrmex, June 28 2018 - 7:59 PM.

Spoiler

#63 Offline Zeiss - Posted June 28 2018 - 11:14 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley/Riverside, CA

The whirligig beetle looks more like a diving beetle since whirligigs have shorter back legs and longer front legs.

He did catch some tiny diving beetles, at least I think he was able to get them in his hand (they were fast and tiny), but the ones that spin around in circles in little groups are definitely whirligig beetles.  Diving beetles do not behave as such, at least I believe they don't.

Edited by Zeiss, June 28 2018 - 11:21 PM.

#64 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 11 2018 - 11:24 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Plants have really been taking over in this thing. I added some of these nice little ground-cover type plants I find growing under water in the local creeks, and they grow like crazy. I have to keep trimming them back once a month to keep it from turning into a jungle. I also added more creeping myrtle, which seems to be doing pretty well this time around. The most exciting thing that has happened is the fern gametophytes have finally grown some mature fronds. I've been waiting about five years for this fern to grow. Once it started, roots grew all over and now they're popping up everywhere.

I added some more Whirligig Beetles I caught on my black light while collecting queen ants about two and a half months ago, and they are all still alive and well. I think the lack of predators this time might be allowing them to live longer. I hope they'll actually breed in there.

gallery_2_209_2134110.jpg

gallery_2_209_1973035.jpg

gallery_2_209_1122641.jpg

gallery_2_209_1173953.jpg

• Leo, FSTP and rdurham02 like this

#65 Offline neoponera - Posted January 13 2019 - 8:36 AM

neoponera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Locationnuevoleon mexico