• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Paludarium (Updated 10-12-2019)

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Leo - Posted April 17 2017 - 5:52 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

update?

#42 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 31 2017 - 1:57 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I just cleaned this thing up. The glass was getting so covered with algae, I could hardly see in it anymore. I had a bunch of creeping myrtle growing really well in there, but it just suddenly died off. The moss and fern has always stayed healthy, but died off a little a while back. Now its mostly the fern that is really starting to spread.

med_gallery_2_209_298385.jpg

med_gallery_2_209_362188.jpg

Does anyone know why the fern never sprouts fronds anymore? It sprouted a few of them a long time ago, but they never lasted long before dying.

med_gallery_2_209_1155985.jpg

med_gallery_2_209_600130.jpg

This waterbug was recently found in Trabuco Creek. I had a really tiny fish in here too, but I think the waterbug ate it. It attacks your finger the way a praying mantis does if you get close to it.

med_gallery_2_209_141262.jpg

med_gallery_2_209_1225154.jpg

med_gallery_2_209_866683.jpg

med_gallery_2_209_878764.jpg
  • nurbs, Ants4fun, ctantkeeper and 4 others like this

#43 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 31 2017 - 5:51 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Why?!

Paludarium.. Cool!

Praying Mantis' flatbacked cousin that wants to fight me with its murder scissors because I'm simply cleaning its tank.... It ate the fish man! 

Edit:
It is really interesting though.

Edited by sgheaton, May 31 2017 - 6:34 AM.

• Martialis likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#44 Offline T.C. - Posted May 31 2017 - 7:00 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Would you like to get rid of the algae? Here is my recommendation. Add a few aquatic plants in the water. Then apply seachem flourish excel daily. ( https://www.amazon.c...l/dp/B000256962) Also you will need some lighting if you want the plants to grow like a led hood. The plants need lighting as well as food so either buy plant food or add some aquatic substrate on the bottom to give the plants their necessary nutrients. Also, keep the tank away from sunlight. The algae will really grow if it's getting direCT light from a window or something.

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#45 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 31 2017 - 8:33 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

There is already perfectly tuned high intensity lighting on this. I'm not sure I understand how you expect to give a tank lighting to make plants grow, while at the same time making sure not to give it lighting that makes algae grow. Sunlight is exactly what is being simulated with plant lighting.

#46 Offline T.C. - Posted May 31 2017 - 9:41 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
I'm going off what I read when I created my planted aquarium. (I'll, post pictures later) Apparently, "direct" lighting from the sun causes algae growth at a much more rapid rate than using artifical lighting. I use seachem excel as a C02 alternative which grows plants, and somehow makes it so algae cannot grow. I'm not sure how it works since algae is a plant, however I have had no algae in my tank.

Edit: but to be honest, I think the effects of sunlight on planted tanks is highly exaggerated.

Edited by T.C., May 31 2017 - 9:45 PM.

#47 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 31 2017 - 10:42 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well sunlight is exactly what plant lighting is supposed to simulate. The best lighting would be just like sunlight. Maybe if you have plants that don't need much direct sunlight, then you could do without enough intensity to simulate direct sunlight.

#48 Offline T.C. - Posted June 1 2017 - 5:18 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Well sunlight is exactly what plant lighting is supposed to simulate. The best lighting would be just like sunlight. Maybe if you have plants that don't need much direct sunlight, then you could do without enough intensity to simulate direct sunlight.

Not sure. I'm going to make a thread on plantedtank.net and see what others say. Maybe someone can give me a reasoning.

#49 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 1 2017 - 5:22 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Sunlight causes catastrophic take overs in algae blankets in the Chiclid tank if I accidentally leave the blinds open before I go to work. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#50 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 1 2017 - 6:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Sunlight causes catastrophic take overs in algae blankets in the Chiclid tank if I accidentally leave the blinds open before I go to work. 

Are you growing plants in that tank?

#51 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 1 2017 - 7:02 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Are you growing plants in that tank?

Hah..no.. Sorry to chime in my 2 cents. Completely different scenarios. 

I do feed them twice a day though. What isn't eaten is typically the seed and the suns the catalyst. Live plants are upstairs. 

#52 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 21 2017 - 7:04 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
The moss and fern have been growing like crazy as you can see.

med_gallery_2_209_191079.jpg

med_gallery_2_209_854719.jpg

med_gallery_2_209_253039.jpg

med_gallery_2_209_907766.jpg

med_gallery_2_209_42447.jpg

med_gallery_2_209_603284.jpg

med_gallery_2_209_394536.jpg

There's froggy hiding in the back as always.

med_gallery_2_209_175120.jpg

I thought this was kind of cool. I saw a tiny sprout of moss growing on the glass in the corner, so I left it alone, and now it's turned into a big patch. It's weird how good this moss grows compared to all the rest I tried.

med_gallery_2_209_100007.jpg

I added two little fish to the tank today, since the last ones died a while back. I think one might have gotten eaten by the water bug actually, but the water bug eventually died too.

While looking closely at the fish i bought today I noticed a little larva of some sort running around on the piece of wood under the water. After checking online, I think this might be a damselfly nymph. I actually had a damsel fly eclose in there once and I didn't know where it came from. It's weird how these creatures just popup out of nowhere in this thing.

Here's a little video I got of the nymph.

• nurbs, Ants4fun, Martialis and 2 others like this

#53 Offline Zeiss - Posted October 21 2017 - 7:10 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Yeah, that is a damselfly larvae.  Hopefully it doesn't get eaten and you can have more in your tank, they're pretty fun. 

Edited by Zeiss, October 21 2017 - 7:12 PM.

#54 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 22 2017 - 5:43 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Oh my god. the paludarium is beautiful! I'm so jelly! My terrarium looks like some sticks, plants, and bugs thrown into a glass box compared to this.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#55 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted October 22 2017 - 5:46 PM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood

Oh my god. the paludarium is beautiful! I'm so jelly! My terrarium looks like some sticks, plants, and bugs thrown into a glass box compared to this.

totally not me...

#56 Offline T.C. - Posted October 22 2017 - 5:54 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Do you know what size filter that is? The one I have appears to be the same, yet only puts 1/4th of that in water.

#57 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 22 2017 - 6:16 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

totally not me...

?

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#58 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 22 2017 - 8:17 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Do you know what size filter that is? The one I have appears to be the same, yet only puts 1/4th of that in water.

I think it's a Topfin. It's about 8 inches tall.

#59 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 24 2018 - 6:09 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I added some more plants again. One is an underwater plant I got from the pet store, and the other is some Creeping Myrtle I took from my back yard. I planted some back there over a year ago, and it has since spread out a bit.

gallery_2_209_1202967.jpg

gallery_2_209_1294873.jpg

I added some fish to the tank again too.

gallery_2_209_486716.jpg

Here's the frog sitting on her rock.

gallery_2_209_1433126.jpg

gallery_2_209_326279.jpg

gallery_2_209_2209824.jpg

I also added a salamander I caught while at Chaney Trail, but you can't see it in these pictures. It dug a hole behind the rock and likes to hide out of sight.
  • Ants4fun likes this

#60 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 27 2018 - 10:33 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I recently brought home some creek critters to add to my paludarium.

Whirligig Beetle

These things hardly ever stop moving. I have about 10 of them and they just swim around in groups really fast on the surface of the water for hours.

gallery_2_209_1398257.jpg

Backswimmers

These things like to stand upside down on the surface of the water waiting for a meal.

gallery_2_209_170280.jpg

This one caught a fruit fly I dropped in there.

gallery_2_209_1290231.jpg

Caddisfly larva

These funny little fly larvae make their own little shell-like hideouts they carry around with them like hermit crabs. They make them out of whatever they find in their environment. This one made its case from pieces of dead leaves. You can see the fresh piece it found and added to its case shortly after putting it in my tank. The other one added a fresh piece to its case as well.

gallery_2_209_215487.jpg

gallery_2_209_739420.jpg

gallery_2_209_663613.jpg

Dragonfly nymph.

gallery_2_209_259393.jpg

gallery_2_209_1511171.jpg

I also added a few Damselfly nymphs too, but they disappeared pretty quick.

I can't say for sure that these weren't there before I added these creatures to the tank, but I spotted seven eggs the exact size, color, and shape of large Camponotus eggs stuck to the rocks under the water. Does anyone know what might have laid these?

gallery_2_209_418656.jpg

gallery_2_209_811722.jpg

gallery_2_209_974043.jpg

gallery_2_209_899602.jpg

And of course the frogs.

gallery_2_209_839733.jpg
  • dermy, LC3 and sgheaton like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users