• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

GroTube/GlassBox Details

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
174 replies to this topic

#121 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 16 2015 - 1:31 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

How is the seal at the reservoir towers?  My Truncorum are so tiny I'd be concerned with drownings in the new design.

I'm lightly sanding the tops to make them a bit more level, in response to some things I saw with the earlier versions.

I could incorporate small O-rings as a gasket around the reservoir, but that may be tricky to do since I don't want to apply too much pressure to the lid with the screws.

The only ants I've observed that could crawl into the reservoir were Brachymyrmex, and that was before I started sanding them down a bit.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 16 2015 - 1:35 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#122 Offline PTAntFan - Posted August 16 2015 - 1:34 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

The airtight seal you'd get from gaskets/O-rings would help ensure evaporation passes through the wood/mesh block.

Edited by PTAntFan, August 16 2015 - 1:34 PM.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#123 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 16 2015 - 1:36 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The airtight seal you'd get from gaskets/O-rings would help ensure evaporation passes through the wood/mesh block.

I've got a whole kit of O-rings.  I'll look into something now.

• PTAntFan likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#124 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 24 2015 - 6:21 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Sorry for the sparse updates.  I'm completing a move to a new, larger office, where I'll have more room to design and manufacture products for you guys.  More on that, later.

In the meantime, I'm hoping to ship the following within the next few days:

• GroTube/GlassBox orders placed up to June 16
  • All GroTube/GlassBox orders that requested a Grey GroTube housing
  • All GroTube/GlassBox orders that requested a Pink GroTube housing

Khaki, white, and blue housings will be finished shortly thereafter.

I'll have lots of pictures of the latest GroTubes and GlassBox foraging areas to show by the end of the week.  Stay tuned!

Edited by drtrmiller, August 24 2015 - 7:45 PM.

#125 Offline john.harrold - Posted August 27 2015 - 9:18 PM

john.harrold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCastro Valley, Ca

Terry, I assume you fixed the mesh issue. Can you tell us what your solution was?

#126 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 27 2015 - 9:35 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I can't say it's fixed yet.  I'm using an adhesive around the rim of the mesh.

#127 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 1 2015 - 1:04 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Terry, I assume you fixed the mesh issue. Can you tell us what your solution was?

I'm going to try welding the polypropylene mesh to the plastic housing with a fine tipped heat iron. This may be the most elegant solution, since I really hate adhesives.

Edit: An almost invisible drop of hot-melt glue along the seam resolves this issue completely.

Edited by drtrmiller, September 3 2015 - 9:26 PM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#128 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 3 2015 - 7:58 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

This is a Small Cute Beach foraging area with Salmon Pink backsplash and a two-tone pink and white nest housing.

Reserve yours today at http://grotube.byformica.com

Edited by drtrmiller, September 8 2015 - 10:05 PM.

• dspdrew, PTAntFan and Favi like this

#129 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 5 2015 - 9:49 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

This is a Small Woodlands foraging area with standard gloss white backsplash and grey nest housing.

Edited by drtrmiller, September 8 2015 - 10:05 PM.

• PTAntFan and CoolColJ like this

#130 Offline Nes187 - Posted September 5 2015 - 10:21 AM

Nes187

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Looks good as always, next extra money I have I'll be ordering up one, I'm not overly excited with the Canadian dollar right now though, how's the wait times going?

#131 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 5 2015 - 11:21 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Looks good as always, next extra money I have I'll be ordering up one, I'm not overly excited with the Canadian dollar right now though, how's the wait times going?

I'm just getting settled into my new office right now, so I'm aiming to whittle down the order queue as quickly as I can.  I'm spending a very long time with each one and end up discarding and redoing ones that don't meet my standards.  This makes it difficult to provide accurate estimates on wait times.

As always, orders are processed in the order in which they are received, and so the sooner an order is placed, the sooner it is finished and shipped.

I'm hoping to have better availability by the holiday season, which is fast approaching.

#132 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 6 2015 - 10:15 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

This is a Medium Beach foraging area with premium Phantom White backsplash (lets in more light from behind).

Edited by drtrmiller, September 8 2015 - 10:04 PM.

• dspdrew likes this

#133 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 6 2015 - 4:14 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I moved a small Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony into a Large Desert foraging area that had some cosmetic issues that were more trouble to correct than to just start over (so as to repurpose it, rather than send to a customer).  This is them eating a dubia roach.

• ctantkeeper and Subverted like this

#134 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted September 7 2015 - 12:33 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

i like the addition of fake grass to the glassbox :)

#135 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 7 2015 - 12:34 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

It's all natural (albeit dead) plant fibers. I don't use anything fake.

Edited by drtrmiller, September 7 2015 - 12:35 PM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#136 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted September 7 2015 - 1:35 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

wow, impressive!!! will mine come with beach grass?

#137 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 7 2015 - 6:09 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

wow, impressive!!! will mine come with beach grass?

It will look similar to the Medium Beach one in the above post.

This is a Medium Desert with standard gloss white backsplash.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#138 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 7 2015 - 10:27 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Now with double the sacrificial stump!  

• ctantkeeper likes this

#139 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 8 2015 - 5:44 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

This is a Small Woodlands foraging area with Glacier Blue backsplash.  Notice how a single light source plays with the scenery and adds contrast to the textures.

Edited by drtrmiller, September 8 2015 - 10:03 PM.

#140 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 11 2015 - 5:57 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

2012-12-14-825880_thumbnail.jpg

Finally, we did it!

byFormica will soon complete the first run of the NEW GroTube HS with GlassBox transition foraging area

We completed contacting all buyers of the NEW GroTube HS with GlassBox foraging area today, since we have confirmed part availability and partially assembled each GlassBox foraging area and diorama scene!  The next step is to put the finishing touches on each one and ship them all over the world!

Stay tuned for more photos of our gorgeous, hand-crafted landscapes and scenery, perfectly paired with the most high-tech formicarium available on the planet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users