• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

GroTube/GlassBox Details

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
174 replies to this topic

#101 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 11 2015 - 8:19 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I accidentally made a large desert diorama with a stick/wood piece that was placed too close to the lid, making it unsuitable for larger ants.  So I decided I would keep this one and use surplus/damaged materials to finish it.  I'm also testing the latest GroTube version—another announcement regarding this will be made soon.

The SimpliFeed liquid feeders that fit into the back holes are not yet finished, so I'm using a standard Mercury liquid feeder for now.

Pin bugs down to the stump to keep ants from hauling the whole piece back to the nest.

Mercury liquid feeder accommodates both large and small ants with a mesh that is positioned to prevent substrate from being adhered to the grid.

Reserve yours today at http://grotube.byformica.com

Edited by drtrmiller, August 11 2015 - 8:37 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#102 Offline Silence - Posted August 13 2015 - 2:34 AM

Silence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

These things are just getting better and better... if this keeps up I'll feel I've ordered too soon ;)

Edited by Silence, August 13 2015 - 2:34 AM.

• BugFinder likes this
1 x Myrmica Rubra (2 Queens) 300+
1 x Camponotus Cruentatus 50+
1 x Pheidole Pallidula 20+
3 x Messor Barbarus 700+, 100+, 20+
2 x Crematogaster Scutelaris 5+, 40+
1 x Camponotus Dolendus 30+
1 x Lasius Niger 100+
25 x Lasius Niger 0+

#103 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 13 2015 - 2:57 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Nope, nobody ordered too soon. All orders are delayed so only the highest quality boxes go out, and early adopters who already received (or who have pending orders for) GroTubes are getting the latest major version of GroTube, free with their box purchase.
  • BugFinder and William. T like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#104 Offline William. T - Posted August 13 2015 - 5:03 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

When is the next update on these nests?  

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#105 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 13 2015 - 5:06 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

When is the next update on these nests?  

GroTube XL, the second version of the GroTube formicarium, focused on an increase in capacity—thus the XL (extra large) name designation. The next evolution of the GroTube product focuses on hydration and security, and thus bears the "HS" designation. The GroTube HS is the next version of GroTube.

I'm running tests right now and will show it off when it's ready.  I hope to have something to show within a few days.

• dermy, BugFinder, ctantkeeper and 1 other like this

#106 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 15 2015 - 6:17 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Here is a quick summary of major changes to the new GroTube HS.  Everything shipping now is GroTube HS, and some orders include a free upgrade to the HS (for those who already have received the XL), per the byFormica upgrade policy.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 15 2015 - 6:18 PM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#107 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 15 2015 - 6:36 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

i checked your website to see if i am legible or not, but i forgot whether or not i paid for my gro tube XL. i definitely paid for my glass box though

#108 Offline john.harrold - Posted August 15 2015 - 8:51 PM

john.harrold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCastro Valley, Ca

Since you mentioned the GroTube HS earlier, I was initially going to wait to get the GlassBox Arena. But I decided to go ahead and get one after I saw the photos. I'm glad we'll be getting the newer version of the GroTube as well. 

I have a question about the changes to the hydration aspect. I think I've read that the current GroTube will overflow into the main chamber if I were to add too much water. I was wondering if you included any overflow pathways to prevent flooding of the main chamber if too much water were added? Like a relief pathway that leaks to the outside if the level in the grow tube gets to the level of the chamber floor. 

#109 Offline PTAntFan - Posted August 15 2015 - 8:57 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I have two white housings and I am in need of a third for my Solenopsis Truncorum.  They are tiny!  Color recommendation for visibility? I'm a bit tired of white, but may go with a third for them.  What about Glassbox?  I am looking forward to my desert but really love what you've done with the Woodlands.  I think they'd just disappear in there, huh?

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#110 Offline PTAntFan - Posted August 15 2015 - 9:01 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Hey John,

I don't think you need to worry about overflow.  Terry provides pipettes for filling that do not suck up and then dispense enough water to overflow the hydration chambers.  I suppose if you used your own it could happen, but why would you?  The system works perfectly well out of the box, or OOB as we say in the tech industry.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#111 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 15 2015 - 9:03 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Since you mentioned the GroTube HS earlier, I was initially going to wait to get the GlassBox Arena. But I decided to go ahead and get one after I saw the photos. I'm glad we'll be getting the newer version of the GroTube as well. 

I have a question about the changes to the hydration aspect. I think I've read that the current GroTube will overflow into the main chamber if I were to add too much water. I was wondering if you included any overflow pathways to prevent flooding of the main chamber if too much water were added? Like a relief pathway that leaks to the outside if the level in the grow tube gets to the level of the chamber floor. 

That's a very good recommendation.  However, you'd be limited in terms of capacity, and I like the small bump in capacity by having the water table to be elevated above the chamber floor—provided it can be done smart—which is the goal of the new design.

Here is a test I've been running all day, using just the wood disc on top of the water transfer material:

You can see that it is glistening, but there is no water pooling.  Before I added the wood discs for resistance, the water would pool into a convex bead on top of the plaster!

Here is an earlier test version that I did over a week ago, and it is still flooded from the first watering:

I think the wood chip as a semi-porous stopper, combined with mesh on top because the wood chip may be too moist for many ants, and perhaps some preservatives in the wood chip to completely prevent mold, may be a winning combination.  

The goal will be to allow users to completely fill the reservoirs, if desired, so they may go longer between waterings, with no fear of overwatering.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 15 2015 - 9:05 PM.

#112 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 15 2015 - 9:09 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I have two white housings and I am in need of a third for my Solenopsis Truncorum.  They are tiny!  Color recommendation for visibility? I'm a bit tired of white, but may go with a third for them.  What about Glassbox?  I am looking forward to my desert but really love what you've done with the Woodlands.  I think they'd just disappear in there, huh?

You're getting a free nest upgrade with your box!  The box is finished, but I'm just waiting to finalize the nest design before it ships.  

I like the khaki nest color, which allows good contrast for both ants and brood.  The darker woodlands theme will be much nicer when I complete an overhead lighting upgrade in a few months, so either style works.

#113 Offline john.harrold - Posted August 15 2015 - 9:12 PM

john.harrold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Hey John,

I don't think you need to worry about overflow.  Terry provides pipettes for filling that do not suck up and then dispense enough water to overflow the hydration chambers.  I suppose if you used your own it could happen, but why would you?  The system works perfectly well out of the box, or OOB as we say in the tech industry.

I was thinking more about refilling and not knowing how much was already in the reservoir. I've only read about the GroTube, so I don't have any first hand experience. Perhaps I was being overly paranoid :).

From the images Terry posted, it looks like the wooden disk he is using provides enough resistance to prevent flooding. I'm really excited about the GroTube/GlassBox setup.  

#114 Offline john.harrold - Posted August 15 2015 - 10:11 PM

john.harrold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

I like the khaki nest color, which allows good contrast for both ants and brood.  The darker woodlands theme will be much nicer when I complete an overhead lighting upgrade in a few months, so either style works.

I ordered the khaki nest color for this very reason.

#115 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 16 2015 - 9:56 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Hopefully the final stages of testing have begun.

#116 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 16 2015 - 12:39 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Fire ants are among the best to test ant products because they are so destructive.  They decided to relocate one of the mesh discs:

I'll have to implement a way to secure them in place.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#117 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 16 2015 - 12:57 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They decided to relocate one of the mesh discs:

:lol:

• LC3 likes this

#118 Offline LC3 - Posted August 16 2015 - 1:11 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Trichomyrmex destructor anyone?

Edit: Done grammaring 

Edited by LC3, August 16 2015 - 1:20 PM.

#119 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 16 2015 - 1:13 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I'd love to use Trichomyrmex to stress test these products.

In the meantime, I gassed my ants with canned air and removed the stray mesh.  I had used two layers of mesh for this one, and the other is more strongly adhered to the wood by a light film of water.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 16 2015 - 1:24 PM.

#120 Offline PTAntFan - Posted August 16 2015 - 1:26 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

How is the seal at the reservoir towers?  My Truncorum are so tiny I'd be concerned with drownings in the new design.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users