• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

GroTube/GlassBox Details

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
174 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 2 2015 - 1:49 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If I price the lids separately I'm thinking $12 for the singles and $16 for the doubles.  The handles are expensive and it's twice as many holes to countersink and tap.

But if I increase prices $10 across the board everywhere it's sold, then I can include both lids and maybe even a single small bottle of Fluon.

Do this. :) Or, can you not make it a separate option like this like how you have various options on the Blue 100 (or used to).

#82 Offline BugFinder - Posted August 2 2015 - 11:27 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Can we talk before you begin work on mine so we can talk about it's options?  Thanks Terry.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#83 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 2 2015 - 4:43 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Can we talk before you begin work on mine so we can talk about it's options?  Thanks Terry.

There aren't really any options I offer besides what is described on the site and what users select at the time of purchase.

Was there something specifically you wanted to discuss?

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#84 Offline BugFinder - Posted August 3 2015 - 7:57 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I guess not then, other than to make sure I get a sacrificial stump lol.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#85 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 3 2015 - 12:32 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I guess not then, other than to make sure I get a sacrificial stump lol.

No problem.  All boxes have the stumps feature, at the moment.

Ultimately, however, all decor is served omakase style, with larger boxes generally containing larger accent pieces to give a better sense of scale and balance.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 3 2015 - 12:32 PM.

• BugFinder likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#86 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 5 2015 - 4:01 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Another day, another masterpiece.

This is a long woodlands with Caribbean Blue backsplash.  Remember that the backsplash color is user-replaceable, and additional colors will be sold on Amazon.com at launch.

For now, the only place to order is http://grotube.byformica.com.  In a few months once the backorders are cleared and an efficient manufacturing protocol is in place, the boxes will be sold on Amazon.com and in the UK/Germany.

I'm hoping to show off some examples of the desert diorama in the coming days.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 5 2015 - 4:05 AM.

• dspdrew, BugFinder and Okeedoke22 like this

#87 Offline Nes187 - Posted August 5 2015 - 8:04 PM

Nes187

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
If I ordered a grotube/glassbox set up what kind of wait would I be expecting right now?

#88 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 5 2015 - 8:20 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

If I ordered a grotube/glassbox set up what kind of wait would I be expecting right now?

I can no longer provide an accurate ETA.  Boxes just started shipping this week after many long and unforeseen delays, and I'm working a 2-month backlog of orders just as fast as I can.

Here is the current status: http://byformica.com...Launch_Progress

What I can say, is the only way to reserve your place in line is to place an order.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 5 2015 - 8:20 PM.

• BugFinder likes this

#89 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 6 2015 - 2:20 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

This is a medium woodlands with Caribbean Blue backsplash, and is more representative of the medium and small size decor than the other boxes shown previously.

Reserve yours today at http://grotube.byformica.com!

• PTAntFan likes this

#90 Offline Nes187 - Posted August 6 2015 - 5:40 PM

Nes187

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Maybe you've already said somewhere but have you considered selling the box without decor? Would speed up things and maybe add the finished ones as a extra Perhaps for the people who want it, they look great but it's probably a full time job just finishing them

#91 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 6 2015 - 6:49 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Maybe you've already said somewhere but have you considered selling the box without decor?

I plan on selling basic flat terrain boxes lined with absorbent LabStone for lab or general usage.

I can also sell the boxes empty, but they must be used with some terrain built up to the entrances and back holes.  

There is no change in price for either option, since I do not factor the dioramas into the current prices.

Yes, either of these options would allow for shipment to be expedited quite a bit.

#92 Offline BugFinder - Posted August 6 2015 - 7:48 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Thanks for the great communication on order status Terry.  It is really appreciated!

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#93 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 10 2015 - 8:41 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Big announcement coming soon for all GroTube XL owners!  You will not want to miss it!!

- -

I've been troubleshooting the desert-themed dioramas. The desert dioramas must be made differently from the woodlands because of differences in material properties.

This is one of my latest works, a Large Desert with Caribbean Blue backsplash.

Reserve yours today at http://grotube.byformica.com

Edited by drtrmiller, August 10 2015 - 8:46 AM.

#94 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 10 2015 - 8:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That looks really nice.

#95 Offline BrittonLS - Posted August 10 2015 - 9:58 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas
I'm getting progressively more interested in getting a grotube...

#96 Offline Subverted - Posted August 10 2015 - 10:06 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I like the desert theme.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#97 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 10 2015 - 10:06 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

What are you waiting for me to add? Quantum lasers?

Edited by drtrmiller, August 10 2015 - 10:25 AM.

• BugFinder and LC3 like this

#98 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 10 2015 - 10:21 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Maybe some concrete.

• BugFinder likes this

#99 Offline William. T - Posted August 10 2015 - 11:18 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Add a city back alley theme. That way, you can both please Argentine ant keepers in the west and a fire ant keepers in the east. 

Maybe some concrete.

Add a used cigarette, a piece of a plastic bottle, and a wrapper. You're all set.

• BugFinder and LC3 like this

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#100 Offline john.harrold - Posted August 10 2015 - 8:34 PM

john.harrold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCastro Valley, Ca

If you add lasers, how would the byFormica upgrade policy apply?

I was also on the fence for a while. But then Terry posted these:

view?usp=sharing

view?usp=sharing

view?usp=sharing

view?usp=sharing

I think my aesthetics just mesh with the stuff from byFormica because this just looks so clean and well made. Then there is the fastidious design of the GroTube. It's not cheap, but I think it's priced fairly. So for me, with those pictures, it was an easy decision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users