• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

GroTube/GlassBox Details

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
174 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Herdo - Posted June 26 2015 - 10:03 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

Yes, it's kind of a non-standard size.  One is .5 inch, the other is 5 mm.  In a future version months or so from now, I may make the smaller hole bigger, like 1/4 inch.

Well the queen I just caught has already started laying eggs.  She is pretty tiny herself so I figure her workers will fit just fine.  I'm just making sure she gets a good head start and then I'm buying one for sure. :)

#42 Offline Tspivey16 - Posted July 7 2015 - 7:58 AM

Tspivey16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

What are your thoughts on heating element(such as cable) integrations into a formicarium?

• BugFinder likes this

Current Colonies:

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis (50 Workers)

Formica subsericea (5+ Workers)

Tetramorium caespitum (50+ Workers)

Parastic Lasius (15 Accepted Host Workers)

Crematogaster cerasi (10 + Workers)

Temnothorax sp. (70 + workers)

#43 Offline PTAntFan - Posted July 7 2015 - 8:10 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Great question. I second.
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#44 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 7 2015 - 11:13 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Minor update:

GroTube XL nest version 2.2 is coming.  

Because this is a very minor update, units stocked at Amazon will be commingled with version 2.1 and sold under the same SKUs.

• Adds tapped holes on the bottom to secure the nest riser to the nest
  • Hydration holes on the inside walls of the nest have also been made larger
  • Nests use 15% less plastic material
  • Increased production capacity by 25%
  • Slightly improved surface finish

What are your thoughts on heating element(such as cable) integrations into a formicarium?

Excerpt from the "Live Chat with Mikey Bustos:"

Mar 16 2015, 8:59 PM      Mercutia              i like the heating tunnels

Mar 16 2015, 8:59 PM      Mercutia              that's something i never would have thought of

Mar 16 2015, 8:59 PM      drtrmiller            merc when you heat underneath, what do you think is going to happen to...all of the front glass?

Mar 16 2015, 8:59 PM      drtrmiller            basically, you'll get water droplets that will rain on the ants

Mar 16 2015, 8:59 PM      Mercutia              lol

Mar 16 2015, 8:59 PM      Mercutia              i know i know

Mar 16 2015, 9:00 PM      Mercutia              still like the idea

Before the AC "Hybrid Nest" release, their company repositioned the heating tunnels to the side of the formicarium.

This is still not ideal.  Thermoplastics like HIPS and ABS are not designed to come into direct and prolonged contact with heating cables, as this will warp and crack the plastic over time.  It also still does not solve the issue of condensation, as the top of the glass/acrylic remains unheated and highly susceptible to condensation.

I've brainstormed with a few members here regarding future innovations in the way of heating that involve heating the top of the glass/acrylic only, similar to an automobile defroster grid or air louvre system.

It has always been my intent to cover the basics before exploring more experimental concepts.  Since the current design has proven solid in terms of creating a satisfactory environment for many species of ants, I'll soon start to work on things like heating, lighting, and feeding system enhancements.

Edited by drtrmiller, July 7 2015 - 12:31 PM.

• BugFinder likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#45 Offline PTAntFan - Posted July 7 2015 - 11:44 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
My vote is prioritize feeding systems. I'd like to go on vacation and not worry.
  • Ants4fun, dermy and BugFinder like this
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#46 Offline Tspivey16 - Posted July 8 2015 - 11:50 AM

Tspivey16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Another question- the loop video on the web seems to show an open air lid concept, but the option pictorial shows a slotted lid. Does it come with both options?

Current Colonies:

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis (50 Workers)

Formica subsericea (5+ Workers)

Tetramorium caespitum (50+ Workers)

Parastic Lasius (15 Accepted Host Workers)

Crematogaster cerasi (10 + Workers)

Temnothorax sp. (70 + workers)

#47 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 11 2015 - 7:41 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

NEW Configuration:

Introducing the GroTube XXL.  Same size, same price, now with more room to accommodate larger ant species.

Compare:

GroTube XL:

NEW GroTube XXL:

The goal is to offer these as a free trade-in for current GroTube owners.  More details to be announced, probably in a few weeks after additional testing and refinement.  You can tell from the picture that I haven't fully moved this colony of Camponotus pennsylvanicus into the nest.

Another question- the loop video on the web seems to show an open air lid concept, but the option pictorial shows a slotted lid. Does it come with both options?

Two lids are included with each GlassBox transition arena, and they work together and serve different functions.

The bottom-most lid is lined with Fluon or another deterrent underneath.  This way, the sides of the foraging area may remain clear and free of the milky-white deterrent.  Further, the deterrent lid may be quickly swapped if it starts to perform poorly, as opposed to evacuating all the ants from the arena, cleaning out the foraging area, and reapplying deterrent.

The top-most lid, not pictured in the video, acts as a physical barrier.  This second lid is used for emergencies, transport, or for ants that are able to escape the Fluon-lined lid.  An open-air foraging area with plenty of ventilation is the default use case.

The lid design has not been 100% finalized.  I'm trying to make them very dummy proof, made for ants, durable, and cost effective.

Edited by drtrmiller, July 11 2015 - 8:32 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#48 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 11 2015 - 8:32 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Nice. I have been keeping my Camponotus in the Grotube XL, and they love it! Can't wait to upgrade to this.

How large is the small hole?

Edited by Ants4fun, July 11 2015 - 8:34 AM.

#49 Offline john.harrold - Posted July 11 2015 - 2:45 PM

john.harrold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCastro Valley, Ca

It looks like the water reservoirs in the XXL are significantly smaller than those in there XL. If the colony you're currently moving in was previously in the XL can you comment on how frequently you have to refill the XL vs the XXL for that colony?

Edited by john.harrold, July 11 2015 - 3:00 PM.

#50 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 11 2015 - 4:58 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

How large is the small hole?

Everything is the same size.  12-13 mm for the big hole, and 5 mm for the small hole.  The big hole fits 1/2" OD tubing, but I'm not sure what standard US tubing size fits in the small hole—it will need to be less than 1/4" OD.

It looks like the water reservoirs in the XXL are significantly smaller than those in there XL. If the colony you're currently moving in was previously in the XL can you comment on how frequently you have to refill the XL vs the XXL for that colony?

The GTXL reservoirs are too large and are a carry-over from version 1.

Sometimes it is really dry, and I make the mistake of adding 3-5 ml of water, even though I always tell my customers to only add 1-2 ml of water at a time, and I regret this when I inadvertently create swamp-like conditions and the ants become rather displeased for a few days until the excess evaporates.

I should make a change in the future that only allows the reservoirs to hold 1-2 ml of water at a time, or else find a way to release the water in such a way that overwatering is impossible.

Edited by drtrmiller, July 11 2015 - 4:59 PM.

#51 Offline Herdo - Posted July 11 2015 - 5:06 PM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

drtrmiller, on 11 Jul 2015 - 5:58 PM, said:

It's 3/16".  I have some fairly squishy 3/16" OD tubing that fits snug.  If the 3/16" OD tubing is more rigid you may have to sand a bit off to get it to fit, but it still shouldn't be much of a problem.

• drtrmiller likes this

#52 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 11 2015 - 5:09 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Thanks for that!

3/16" is 4.76 mm, so that sounds about right.

The hole is not perfectly round, and may vary in size depending on the material, as some materials shrink more than others (+- 1% total mass).

#53 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 11 2015 - 6:05 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

...or else find a way to release the water in such a way that overwatering is impossible.

Now you're talking. Then you can give it a five gallon tank.

• BugFinder likes this

#54 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 14 2015 - 10:42 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Question, when will the foraging area be available separate?

#55 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 14 2015 - 10:44 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

If all goes as planned and the boxes are cut this Friday, they should be on Amazon with Prime shipping in a few weeks in various sizes and themes.

#56 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 30 2015 - 7:38 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Version 2.4 is coming!

Changelog:

• V2.2 -
    • Screw holes on bottom to anchor riser for attachment to GlassBox transition arena.
    • New type of plaster absorbs water quickly and more evenly.
  • V2.3 -
    • Improved hydration system.  Hydration now occurs from underneath rather than through the sides of the reservoirs.
    • Middle chamber is now larger.
  • V2.4 -
    • Increased reservoir capacity underneath nest for 300% longer times between refills.
    • Decreased height of side vents for better escape prevention.
    • Added additional side vents.

Limited quantity of sub V2.4 units will be offered at a special price in the coming days.

Will offer V2.4 as a special trade in for existing customers.  Details to be announced.

#57 Offline Mdrogun - Posted July 30 2015 - 1:13 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I normally don't like 3D printed formicariums but this looks pretty good

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#58 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 30 2015 - 3:58 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

is version 2.4 and the grotube xxl the same thing? 

#59 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 30 2015 - 6:46 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
No. Version number denotes feature changes affecting all variations.

Edited by drtrmiller, July 30 2015 - 6:46 PM.

#60 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 30 2015 - 8:34 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I look forward to it!

Me too!  I'm drooling over the description and price of it!!

I look forward to it!

Me too!  I'm drooling over the description and price of it!!

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users