• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

GroTube/GlassBox Details

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
174 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 14 2015 - 5:51 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

As of May 21, 2016, nearly a year into selling our very first higher-end formicarium, custom orders for the GroTube/GlassBox have been discontinued to focus on new product development.  Therefore, you have been redirected here.

I will be manufacturing the last remaining GroTube and GlassBox components to be sold as ready-to-ship units in the coming weeks.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reply here, or to email [support at byformica.com].

byFormica accessories are still available in three Amazon stores, depending on where you live:

USAhttp://amzn.to/1TmWG0k

UK/EUhttp://amzn.to/22jTVgC

DE/EUhttp://amzn.to/1Xphyn3

Like byFormica on Facebook: http://facebook.com/byFormica

Follow byFormica on Instagramhttp://instagram.com/byFormica

Edited by drtrmiller, May 21 2016 - 9:07 PM.

• Gregory2455, AntsTexas and JediPeaceFrog like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 23 2015 - 7:33 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The biggest thing to ever happen to byFormica is coming first to the GroTube XL.  

Details are just days away.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 27 2015 - 1:09 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 27 2015 - 1:09 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The new landing/buy page is live.

http://grotube.byformica.com

Any questions or comments, leave them below.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 27 2015 - 1:09 PM.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 27 2015 - 2:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That's a pretty nifty page.

#5 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 29 2015 - 11:00 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

That page is gorgeous.  Can a buyer attach their test tube to the XL to get the ants inside or do they place the test tube in the Glassbox?

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 29 2015 - 11:15 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Nutshell: The GroTube nest entrance includes various tubings which may connect with a test tube to transfer ants directly into the nest.

--

The big hole of the GroTube XL fits standard 1/2 inch OD (outer diameter) vinyl tubing, which is included.  

Also included is 1/2 inch ID (inner diameter) silicone tubing, which can be stretched to fit around a 16 mm or 13 mm test tube, and then coupled with the 1/2 OD tubing for easy insertion into the 1/2 ID nest hole.

Either way, I've always moved my ants in by joining their test tube to the entrance with tubing, and the move-ins have always been rather effortless.

I do not recommend introducing the ants in the foraging area, because it may take a while for them to find the nest entrance.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 29 2015 - 8:53 PM.

• BugFinder and PTAntFan like this

#7 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 2 2015 - 1:19 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Terry, when is the best time to introduce a queen to the GroTube?  During founding or after a certain number of ants are reared?

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 2 2015 - 2:24 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

With the original GroTube, I recommended people wait until they had a small number of workers.

With the new GroTube XL, I am more inclined than ever to believe that it is exceptionally suitable for rearing queens.  I am rearing non-boosted Solenopsis invicta queens in a GroTube XL on the byFormica Ant Cam, and they are faring better those in other setups.  The ability to precisely control moisture levels so as to emulate a humid subterranean environment, is what separates the new GTXL from its competitors.

Now the big question is why one might spend so much money on a setup for an unproven queen?  That is a user preference issue—not everyone has hundreds of queens.  For claustral or semi-claustral queens that you want to have the best shot at getting started, I can finally say that the GTXL may very well be an ideal setup.

Eventually, the arena and nest will be sold separately.  Also in the future, I'm working on an extremely inexpensive founding nest, currently listed on the roadmap as Petri Dish, but that will soon change, as I am ditching the petri dishes for a custom housing.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 2 2015 - 2:32 PM.

• BugFinder likes this

#9 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 2 2015 - 2:57 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

It looks a little small for my Formica Francoeuri, thoughts?

#10 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 2 2015 - 3:06 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Thanks for the info, I was about to buy the $40 nest when all of a sudden, all that was available was the $75 version. Instead I just bought the THA inseption chamber, because it was one of the cheapest options available currently.

#11 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 2 2015 - 3:07 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

One of the biggest challenges I've had to face is communicating with people how the simplistic design can accommodate both large and small ants simultaneously.  That's why I changed the name to GroTube XL (extra large), after all.

I have a Camponotus queen in one, and I also have a Pheidole colony whose workers are about 1/100 as massive as the Camponotus queen, in another.

Here is a Camponotus noveboracensis queen and nanitic in one:

• BugFinder and Nes187 like this

#12 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 2 2015 - 3:18 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
A picture says a thousand words.

#13 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 2 2015 - 3:25 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Thanks for the info, I was about to buy the $40 nest when all of a sudden, all that was available was the $75 version. Instead I just bought [something else], because it was one of the cheapest options available currently.

There is no comparison between what you purchased and the GroTube XL.

GTXL isn't simply another founding nest. It is feature packed, with an attention to detail and quality, visual focus, user customization, and features that work, unlike any other.

Competitor product:

• Large petri dish (manufactured by some unknown company, probably in China)
  • Small petri dish (again, made by someone else)
  • Hand-poured plaster or other surface compound
  • Species size must be specified at time of purchase (small, medium, large)

byFormica GroTube XL with GlassBox Arena:

• Custom designed and machined durable, reusable plastic nest housing, made in USA
  • Thick, .25 inch acrylic arena, custom designed and made in USA
  • Working features no one else has (hydration, escape prevention, liquid feeding integration, more to come)
  • Premium, detail-oriented decor
  • Versatile for all but the largest ants (MyrmeciaC. gigas, etc.)
  • Mix and match foraging area/nest
  • Thousands of user configuration options (colors, styles, sizes)
  • Free or discounted upgrades (learn more)

Edited by drtrmiller, June 2 2015 - 3:27 PM.

#14 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 2 2015 - 3:54 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
True, but it is also well over double the price... Don't think that I'm not drooling over it, I just need something that will get the job done. I will probably buy yours as later as well. I think yours is a lot better, but is also a lot more expensive.

#15 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 2 2015 - 3:59 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

That's why I'm also working on an economical founding nest with a target price between $5-10.

My plan is to offer it on Amazon.com with their new "Small and Light" shipping program, which offers free shipping to all customers with no minimum order.

The design is completely custom, and builds on both my own work, and incorporates some hydration techniques Drew has used in the past, with great success.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 2 2015 - 3:59 PM.

• BugFinder likes this

#16 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 2 2015 - 4:01 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I look forward to it!

#17 Offline William. T - Posted June 2 2015 - 5:19 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

That's why I'm also working on an economical founding nest with a target price between $5-10.

My plan is to offer it on Amazon.com with their new "Small and Light" shipping program, which offers free shipping to all customers with no minimum order.

The design is completely custom, and builds on both my own work, and incorporates some hydration techniques Drew has used in the past, with great success.

That's great! Would've bought your Grotube XL, but chose THA instead as it was cheaper. I only get $20 on birthdays since I am still a kid, and I don't get any other money at all. The money I get is spent on test tubes and the such. It's great that someone is willing to put time and money into something quality and price it so that anyone is able to get into ant keeping without having a Camponotus colony nesting in your wallet, literally. Looking forward to buying it! :)

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#18 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 3 2015 - 6:36 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

For those of us that missed any posts during the development of this product, could you detail for us or direct our attention to a post that explains how the variable hydration system works?  In particular, how does the antkeeper know how much hydration he's creating and that whatever adjustments are made match expectations.  Is that a gel I see in the reservoirs?  Is that gel injected with syringe?

#19 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 3 2015 - 7:33 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I made a computer model for you.  I'll make a live demonstration at a later date:

This is a model for how the GroTube XL responds to hydration.

Water infiltrates the plaster stone at the entry points in the reservoirs, and soaks through, similar to a sponge.  

Because the water is generally flowing upwards, it is difficult or impossible to flood the nest. However, adding too much water can make the responding section very damp, temporarily.

The actual response time is 3-5 minutes.  I advise users to add 1 ml at a time, as there is a subtle difference in the appearance of the substrate that is wetted, versus that which is dry.  The coconut fiber, especially, becomes darker when wet. 1.2 ml pipettes are included, allowing for precise hydration control.

The water crystals in each of the reservoirs shrink when dry, and expand when in contact with water.  This ability means that a dry nest is less likely to be over-watered by an overzealous user, as the crystals will absorb any excess water in the reservoir.  Similarly, a well-hydrated nest will be difficult to over-water, because the water crystals will take up the bulk of the reservoir volume, only allowing about 2 ml of actual standing water to remain in the reservoir.

In particular, how does the antkeeper know how much hydration he's creating and that whatever adjustments are made match expectations.

To answer this question, the user should, at first, only hydrate one of the reservoirs.  If the ants gravitate toward the hydrated section, then the user will know it is likely acceptable to hydrate the second reservoir.  

If the ants are repelled by the hydrated section, the user will know to keep, at most, one section hydrated, or partially hydrated.

Interpreting feedback from the ants is critical, since different ant species prefer more or less wetness to their nest.  Many ant species tend to place eggs and larvae in wetter areas of the nest, and pupae in drier areas.  This is why the two reservoirs, allowing a mix of wet and dry areas, is a good solution for maintaining a natural balance.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 3 2015 - 8:00 AM.

• AntsNY likes this

#20 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 13 2015 - 3:59 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
REDACTED

Edited by drtrmiller, April 10 2016 - 3:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users