• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Niger love their test tube too much...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Steveboy777 - Posted May 12 2015 - 4:44 AM

Steveboy777

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I heard they might vacate when they have enough workers but so far all they've done is build a masssive dirt and sand wall in the tube...

Recently got them a foraging box and small formicarium connected by tubes, decided they're going in the foraging box since they were just in a fish tank.

Anyway they're back to building the wall.

Feels cruel but I took the wall down and tapped a lot of ants and eggs out(no casualties) but they just went back in, even though they were right next to a nice darker safe area.

I've since scooped out sand and dirt from their wall, is this a bad idea or will it encourage them to think the tube isn't that safe? It's really quite a big tube so well over half the length of the foraging box, takes up a lot of space.

I feel like they'll never want to move %)

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted May 12 2015 - 6:19 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

If you can show us a picture, we can probably offer some suggestions to get them to move.

Also, how many workers are there?

Lasius are usually pretty stubborn when it comes to moving.  I usually just leave the test tube in the foraging area until it completely dries out.  I find that they do need several days to explore the new options and decide if it is safer than their current home.

Keep removing their sand and dirt wall (and remove excess sand from foraging area, they only need a handful of grains to help the larvae spin their cocoon.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted May 12 2015 - 6:23 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Well, Lasius niger is very loyal to their nest. It's a little bit tricky to get them out.

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 12 2015 - 6:55 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I've had perfect success moving mine with one of those low watt reptile UV incandescent bulbs.  Ants hate UV and Lasius especially hate the heat an incandescent bulb produces.

You absolutely must keep an eye on them throughout the entire move, and increase the distance between the tube and bulb gradually, as the ants become increasingly agitated and alarmed until they flee the nest in an organized panic.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users