• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solid sources of carbohydrates?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted May 7 2015 - 7:53 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Does anyone feed any non-liquid sugar sources? Would they accept plain granulated sugar? Some of my species seem more concerned with damming up liquids than drinking them. I did make some nectar/honey agar which is accepted, though I suspect they're just drinking the sweat from it and not actually eating it.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted May 7 2015 - 8:14 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Despite what people say, I believe ants can eat small bits of solids... I think a sugar grain is too hard for them to eat. I believe they could eat agar, as they eat byformica's solid ant food...

#3 Offline Miles - Posted May 7 2015 - 8:33 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I feed my ants fruits, and they love them. I feed apple as an integral part of their diet, and they thrive. They are, of course, licking the fruit, and not necessarily eating it in the same sense that we do.

Edited by Miles, May 7 2015 - 8:33 PM.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#4 Offline dean_k - Posted May 7 2015 - 8:33 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

They can eat solids but it must be finely powdered and must have high moisture content. Both of which Byformica ant food has and it's what insect guts are.

#5 Offline Foogoo - Posted May 7 2015 - 9:21 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Fruit. I always forget about that. I need to feed them more fruit.

The BF agar is interesting as my ants would eat it when it's moist and when it's dried out. The agar I made is stiffer, and I haven't seen them take bites out of it. They just drink the moisture then dam it up.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#6 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted May 8 2015 - 10:39 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

I have given ants plain sugar and they would drag it or directly eat it (lick it).

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 8 2015 - 2:04 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I have given ants plain sugar and they would drag it or directly eat it (lick it).

Sugar is hygrophilic (humidity loving), so higher humidity levels will result in a somewhat tacky, wetted surface of the sugar crystals.  That is what the ants are licking.

• Jonathan21700 likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users