• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Specimen24-6's ant journal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted November 28 2015 - 3:00 PM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUSA, California
I have decided to put my journals together as one so bear with me.

Crematogaster sp. 2
Drew gave me this colony (shout out to Drew). I currently have a queen, few workers and a good brood pile, all In a test tube setup. I've fed them a drop of honey and a hissing cockroach nymph. The image isn't very good but on the bright side I have found the zoom function on my iPhone :lol:
image.jpg

Novomessor cockerelli
This is by far my favorite species of ant and it isn't just there size but there hardiness. They recover quickly after being disturb almost over night and the queen pop eggs out like nothing in broad daylight! I currently have one queen, four workers, and a big brood pile that grows quickly. I don't have any images of them.

Also I went to a garage sale and got a good deal on these
image.jpg
image.jpg
These cost me $5 for the whole box of test tube, what a deal! The things you find in a yard sales :D

Edited by specimen24-6, November 28 2015 - 3:02 PM.

• ferhat likes this

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 30 2015 - 6:47 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Glad to see the Novomessor are doing well.

#3 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted November 30 2015 - 10:26 AM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Its weird, Novomessor don't seem to like honey. My Novomessor colony seem to carry around the dead insects leave it by the test tube's opening and then they feed the peaces to the larvae. Drew other then the blue formula what do you feed your Novomessor (also, I can't thank you enough for letting me buy both colonies off of you). 

Edited by specimen24-6, November 30 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 30 2015 - 1:20 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't think sweets are a very big part of harvester ants' diets. I rarely feed my harvester ants honey or sugar water, only seeds and insects/meat.

#5 Offline antmaniac - Posted November 30 2015 - 2:51 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
My Pheidole also don't take honey as seeds and insects diet seems be their main focus. However, as the colony getting bigger now, I have observed workers drink honey occasionally. It doesnt hurt to have honey available for them.

#6 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted November 30 2015 - 5:13 PM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Makes sense, I have a large dubia roach colony and a starting Green banana Roach roach colony, this means that I have a limitless supply of insect protein :D, but I must find a good seed supply :thinking: I will see if they will except poppy seeds.

Edited by specimen24-6, November 30 2015 - 5:14 PM.

#7 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted December 2 2015 - 8:38 PM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
I now have images of my Novomessor but the images are terrible. The flash and the reflective surfaces is what seem to be the problem, if any one can give me some tips or advice then please do so. I am currently using a iPhone camera.
Once again sorry for the bad pictures.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

#8 Offline antmaniac - Posted December 2 2015 - 11:03 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Try to use those flash app which leave the flash light on while the camera is on. This way you can adjust the camera angle accordingly, works like previewing the photo shoot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users