• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Liometopum occidentale Journal [38] (Discontinued)

Liometopum occidentale Dspdrew journal

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#121 Offline Dr.Ants - Posted April 30 2018 - 12:07 AM

Dr.Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey drew, I looked though here and was trying to see if you ran heat at all. I couldn’t find anything saying you did. Could have missed it. I have a colony with about 37 workers and a huge pile of eggs. Another journal someone said they were using formula blue with them and they loved it. What are you feeding?

#122 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 30 2018 - 11:50 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
His apt is really hot, he doesn't need to heat it.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#123 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 30 2018 - 11:59 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They will eat most any meat or insects, and sweet liquids.

#124 Offline Jaraii - Posted July 8 2018 - 10:22 PM

Jaraii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Update 2-18-2018

Ever since I gave these colonies feeders, not a single worker has died, and both colonies now have a huge pile of eggs. I'm pretty sure now that these just weren't getting fed enough.

What kind of feeders are you using?  Also, how are they doing?

#125 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 9 2018 - 3:59 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 7-9-2018

Both colonies are doing great and still growing in size. Amazingly, I only found one of these queens this year.
  • Canadant likes this

#126 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 9 2018 - 4:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 2-18-2018

Ever since I gave these colonies feeders, not a single worker has died, and both colonies now have a huge pile of eggs. I'm pretty sure now that these just weren't getting fed enough.

What kind of feeders are you using? Also, how are they doing?

Liquid feeders.

#127 Offline Jaraii - Posted July 10 2018 - 8:16 PM

Jaraii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Did you make them, or is there somewhere that sells ones that are well setup for this use?

• Canadant likes this

#128 Offline AntsAreCool55 - Posted July 14 2018 - 1:52 PM

AntsAreCool55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

About 1 month ago I found a queen of this species. She has laid eggs which took a long time to develop to larvae (3 weeks or so) and now my queen has a huge pile of pupae. I have never seen a queen raise that many workers in first generation. There must be ~20 pupae at least.

Anyway,my question to Drew is do you have any tips on keeping them? I see your colonies have died in the past,did you figure out the reason? Any help is appreciated,thanks!

#129 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 22 2018 - 2:40 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Why did you repeat yourself AntsAreCool? Also how are your colonies Drew? (please don't be dead please don't be dead)

Edit: oh the repeat is gone now

Edited by Kaelwizard, January 10 2019 - 2:27 PM.

#130 Offline Rstheant - Posted October 22 2018 - 3:50 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Good luck
How many workers currently?

#131 Offline Rstheant - Posted October 29 2018 - 3:35 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
wow. Liometipum have huge colony’s. No wonder there are so many(and by many, I mean thousands) in my backyards!

#132 Offline Rstheant - Posted October 30 2018 - 2:02 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Do you know why they are so hard to keep?

#133 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 30 2018 - 7:50 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They need to eat a lot.

#134 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 30 2018 - 7:55 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana

They need to eat a lot.

couldn't' you just.. not feed them a lot and kinda put a "limit on their growth"? Like not starve them per se but just stop at a certain point and not increase the amount of food beyond that point?

#135 Offline GeorgeK - Posted October 30 2018 - 11:47 PM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

I've got 2yr old colony of Liometopum Microcephalum, and I can confirm they will eat pretty much as much as you give them. Its hard to keep them satisfied

#136 Offline RobertJ - Posted December 10 2018 - 1:10 PM

RobertJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley, CA
I have been pondering the thought of buying a colony of these but I am concerned they won't do well...after reading your journal it appears they need copious amounts of food which wouldn't be an issue.

In your experience is there any particulars to make certain about in order to raise a healthy colony of these fun little guys?

#137 Offline nurbs - Posted December 10 2018 - 2:19 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Care is not an issue with these. They are very easy. It is frightening how fast they grow in the first year. The lab I work at studies these ants which I care for, but personally don't like to keep them as pets for this very reason. They are very aggressive and when disturbed emit a strong pungent smell (sulcatone).

https://www.instagra.../p/BqdpQs5lfxb/

I have been pondering the thought of buying a colony of these but I am concerned they won't do well...after reading your journal it appears they need copious amounts of food which wouldn't be an issue.

In your experience is there any particulars to make certain about in order to raise a healthy colony of these fun little guys?

• Rstheant likes this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#138 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 11 2018 - 5:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It's not that they need TONS of food, they just need to be fed often. A liquid feeder pretty much takes care of that problem pretty easily.

#139 Offline NikolaBale - Posted December 23 2018 - 7:34 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

It's not that they need TONS of food, they just need to be fed often. A liquid feeder pretty much takes care of that problem pretty easily.
That takes care of the sugar part of the food? But how do you cope with feeding them the protein?

#140 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 23 2018 - 8:23 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That takes care of the sugar part of the food? But how do you cope with feeding them the protein?

I feed them protein once a week like all my other ants. They don't seem to need protein as often. I have gone a while without giving them protein and didn't end up with tons of deaths the way I do if I go too long without giving them sugary liquids.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Liometopum occidentale, Dspdrew, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users